The online racing simulator
To go along with Radiator Damage:
When (?) the damage model is looked into and coolant temperature is incorporated, there will likely be radiatior damage as most here are aware (there were pre-S2 interviews where Scawen (Victor?) mentioned this), so I think therefore that the appropriate cars should incorporate intercooler damage as well. Scawen also recenetly (Dec 2006) alluded to the fact that he would someday work on the Turbocharger modelling, so why not include intercooler modelling and damage in that endeavour? The fluid cooling modelling will most surely be done for the radiator - so it should be done for intercoolers as well. You tap someone in a TBO? Maybe you don't bust your rad open but you crack the intercooler... Pressure leak, and little power for you!
Thinking to much into this?

there was a game i played, C1 battle, and it had engine tempreture. and if you went to hot, you blew the rad, and you was out of the battle.

Nothing new, i mean, the tempreture gauge isnt there for nothing
Way back in Papy's nascar 2003 (and probably earlier) too much close drafting on the superspeedways could cause cooling problems. Pull out of the slipstream a little and chill your water a bit, all part of the real-life tactics, these little touches add a lot to the realism of a game.
Exactly; and intercoolers would be affected as well!
Jeff, you really need to do more work, and less thinking about these kinds of requests :P
Why?
when you cite examples like that... its most likely on the list of things to do, wouldn't you think?
Why bother proposing anything that's a good suggestion then?

We (or someone, not me) should stick to suggesting spinnerzzzorz and nawz, that way we won't suggest anything that's on their list already.

It wasn't mentioned before, unlike the 4000 pages of largely redundant crap preceding it. At least I'm making the effort to do something besides criticise a reasonable suggestion

In fact, why not just close this area of the board? I'm sure the devs are cognizant of everything that could ever be simulated, therefore this Improvements Suggestions area is moot and ridiculous.
#10 - Davo
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Why bother proposing anything that's a good suggestion then?

In fact, why not just close this area of the board? I'm sure the devs are cognizant of everything that could ever be simulated, therefore this Improvements Suggestions area is moot and ridiculous.

Here here. Although then we'd have requests for spinerz and nawz in the general chat area. It's much easier to have it in one section that's always good for a laugh.
Jeff, quit wasting time on realistic requests, everyone knows we need spinnaz and nawzzz!! NO WAIT, we need a guy who jumps out of the car following crashes, runs around like he's on fire, then strips and continues running around and then stabs himself in the leg.

On a slightly more serious note, Jeff, keep up the work with these brilliant feature ideas.
Jeff, nice suggestion, ignore the whingey kids that just wish they'd thought of it.

Your bitching post made me grin.
well the reason i pointed that out is i figured it would be something plainly listed under scawen's log under the title of engine damage
which is probably under damage

the only time you should really cite examples like that is if it were from before S2
here we are in S2, and you can see that water temps aren't working, and damage we all know is still in beta so.. i figured it makes sense that we dont have specific part damage yet, but deffinetly on the list
Well, my inital post was meant entirely as a joke, seeing he seems to have so much time and freedom at work, enough to chat on MSN and stuff.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :he seems to have so much time and freedom at work, enough to chat on MSN and stuff.

I have no idea what you're talking about!
Sure... I saw your personal message on MSN today, change to "Anchorman" while you were at work... :hide:
#17 - Woz
Yep, rad damage would change how people drive loads as hiting someone in the rear could end your race.

The added cooling issues would also be good.

+1 here
+1 from me - nice to see that someone is able to think of new suggestions other than repeating old ones over and over again.

Personally I'd want skidmarks in LFS first, then see-through windows.
Skidmarks and see-through windows would be nice, sure, but what about auto-skindownloading? That would make it much easier to get other people's skins... maybe it should only work for licensed users though

+1 from me for anything with cooling damage, even the gearbox
What about sending setups to others? Or even better! Rewindable replays! Oh, damn

----
Jokes aside, looking at different cars in LFS, radiator damage is just the tip of the iceberg. Imho, things like losing a wheel in hard contacts, losing wings and damage to aerodynamic parts would have bigger impact on racing. One nice small touch could be to have flexing wings in singleseaters. Currently the single seaters are like tanks in LFS.

But few thinga about radiator damage from me (a non-car-knowledgeable person ) .The position and structural protection around the radiator are the important things that determine how much of the impact goes into the radiator, directly or indirectly. Directly means that someone just rams you and the radiator takes all the impact leaving all bits around pretty much intact. Or indirectly; you brake into a car but the impact itself isn't too big. However, the radiator's plumbing gets bent, the radiator itself bends because the radiator's mounts bend and as a result the radiator system may have a leak, the airflow may not work efficiently anymore and/or the radiator just gets totally wrecked. (yammi )

Also small things to consider to include the possible radiator modelling, in addition to intercoolers:
+ themostat damage (over heating)
+ waterpump damage
+ turbo overheating (+leaks, inefficient airflows...)

Pics:
http://www.zoneracing.co.uk/images/silverstone06damage.jpg
Quote :it was clear the car had suffered damage that would signal the end of the race. Strong vibrations indicated possible wheel damage and the engine was sounding particularly rough.

http://i.a.cnn.net/nascar/2006 ... oudon/stewart.384.cia.jpg
Quote :Tony Stewart's day was ruined by radiator damage when he tangled with Ryan Newman. Credit: CIA Stock Photo

I guess the most important (and pleasent) thing with radiator damage (as a whole) is the fact that the mode for LFS to simulate it can be very simple. After all, the main thing is that the power&torque curves reflect what is going on under the bonnet. Radiator damage should be fairly easy to implement because it is mostly a hidden system, the main thing telling that it is there is the working temperature gauges. A hidden system because there aren't really any graphical effects or models to add into LFS for it

(yeah, blah blah blah )
Quote from al heeley :Way back in Papy's nascar 2003 (and probably earlier) too much close drafting on the superspeedways could cause cooling problems. Pull out of the slipstream a little and chill your water a bit, all part of the real-life tactics, these little touches add a lot to the realism of a game.

NASCAR Heat is the same way, and you can blow a motor having the throttle pinned in the red zone to long...which I think LFS should have. It would eliminate the 'ridge racer' type drivers I've been noticing on the STCC servers going from top gear to 1st gear instead of the brake peddle to slow them down.
Quote from Hyperactive :I guess the most important (and pleasent) thing with radiator damage (as a whole) is the fact that the mode for LFS to simulate it can be very simple. After all, the main thing is that the power&torque curves reflect what is going on under the bonnet. Radiator damage should be fairly easy to implement because it is mostly a hidden system, the main thing telling that it is there is the working temperature gauges. A hidden system because there aren't really any graphical effects or models to add into LFS for it

Same approach could be used for any damage related thing... why would we need huge fireball explosions and flying windshied parts? When the car takes enough damage (100%), then car = R.I.P. Some kind of "hitpoints" system with different hit areas, similar to first person shooters. Yeah highly unrealistic but better than nothing! Sims in general seem to concentrate on completely irrelevant things (eye candy) regarding damage.
I think its fine. How about fanbelt breakage too? So you can run for a lap or two off the battery, but with the ammeter gradually going down
Quote from JamesK :I think its fine. How about fanbelt breakage too? So you can run for a lap or two off the battery, but with the ammeter gradually going down

You can't drive without a fan belt.
Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG