The online racing simulator
DFP Problem, need your help
(23 posts, started )
So ive had my DFP for mabey around a year and a half. The pedals are really bad now, and so is the wheel/shifter part.

The wheel part isnt too bad, but the whirring noise it makes when there is NO force feedback, sounds a lot different, in a bad way.

The shifter feelsl ike its broken every time i shift with it, and i had to made my own custom shift boot with paper towel, so it would not feel like this. It worked for a week or two, but now its back to how it was before, and feels very cheap, and like it is about to snap. Also, somtimes my shifts are "missed", as in when i shift, nothing happens.

The pedals are the worst. Whenever i touch the brakes, it always makes this annoying clicking sound. The gas pedal now feels very flimsy, and goes from side to side. Also, whenever im not on the gas (tryed this with LFS, and ps2 with both enthusia and GT4, as they both have a meter that shows how much your accelerating), it goes crazy up and down, up to about the halfway mark.

I do not treat my wheel like crap, and i take good care of it. I never play with shoes, and i dont yank the shifter, when i shift. I am very gentle with it.

Is this a common thing with the DFP? Should i write to Logitech to see if it is possible for them to exchange this one with a new unit?

Thanks in advance,
-Sketchy
#2 - ajp71
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :I do not treat my wheel like crap, and i take good care of it. I never play with shoes, and i dont yank the shifter, when i shift. I am very gentle with it.

Unfortunately it's just the build quality of them, I've had to play with shoes ever since the lower left corner of my throttle pedal snapped off leaving a nasty sharp edge. My previous Logitech wheel fell apart as well and the DFP will in the end and by the sounds of it so will at least parts of the G25.

So I'm currently not planning on buying a G25 unless they get a lot cheaper and when my DFP goes I'll buy either another DFP or look at what Thrustmaster offer. There are some companies selling quality wheels that will last problem is they are expensive and don't have all the bells and whistles (most still no FF). Or of course I guess it can't be that difficult to build your own and build it well.
I've had my DFP for over a year and a half now, no problems other than with the oridinal pedalset's crappy pots. Logitech replaced them within 2 days of my complaint. I've only had to clean out the pots on my pedals only twice, and ive only a little play in the gearing of the wheel
Should i try to contact them to see if they can replace it? Ive had it for more than a year.
doubt they would this late
i would try it, even if you have to pay for fixing it, better then trying to do it yourself.

I replaced some parts in my trusty ol' Sidewinder USB with metall parts, like the steering axis, and it still works, even after 4-5 surgeries My wheel is like Cher
My paddle shifters stopped working eventually, but ive just switched to the stick. Hopefully that wont go too or ill be screwed. The biggest problem is the spiking of the accelerator which i have gotten many many times before as well. It makes games like LFS allmost impossible to play due to the precision required. To fix this what I have usually done is tape down the pots in there so they dont wobble around at all, especially the accel one of course. However, inevitably a couple weeks will go by and it will begin spiking again because the tape isnt holding it 100% still which it needs to be doing. What I wound up doing was folding up a piece of tape to just the right size and pinching that tape in between the accel pot and the "cover" of the pedal housing, and then screwed it on so it was pinching the pot in there pretty good, not allowing it to wobble at all. I used to have to take it apart literally every week to redo the tape but ive been playing for about 3 months now with absolutely perfect accel input, no spiking whatsoever. You could try that at your own risk if you want.
I cant help you with your other stuff though.
Im not sure what spiking of the accelerator is, so im not sure what to say to that.

I might try to ask them if they can repair it, but id rather not pay, unless its really cheap. Im saving up for a G25 anyways, so i dont know if its worth it.
Logitech have a good record of simply replacing old hardware, so it wouldn't hurt to try.
my dfp pedals are scrap. i have my old driving force(gt3 wheel) plugged in and use the pedals for that instead.

my upshift paddle on the dfp either doesnt act like i've pressed it or it shifts up 2-4 times from being pressed once... so i use the stick or i use r2/l2 for shifting.
Alright, so i guess im going to write to logitetch, and see what i can do.

What should i include in the letter?
Should i just copy and paste my origional post for the letter?
Quote from KurtG85 : I used to have to take it apart literally every week to redo the tape but ive been playing for about 3 months now with absolutely perfect accel input, no spiking whatsoever. You could try that at your own risk if you want.

I'm in exactly the same position with my pedals - every week or two I need to take them apart and re-seat the pots to stop the spiking. It will be perfect for about 2 days then slowly get worse and worse. I've only had this problem with the accelerator; the brake pedal has always been fine.

In short, the DFP pedals are rubbish. I will try your suggestion re: the piece of tape and see how it works for me. Cheers.
you shouldnt email at all. do what i did and call customer support.
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :you shouldnt email at all. do what i did and call customer support.

Alright, ill try that, but nobody answered me on what spyking is?
Spiking is when the pots just go all haywire, irregular contact or something...

As for logitech replacing your hardware beacuse its old and not working, well wouldnt that be like replacing my shoes because they've got a hole in it?
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :I do not treat my wheel like crap, and i take good care of it. I never play with shoes, and i dont yank the shifter, when i shift. I am very gentle with it.

All the things i dont do with my g25. I wear shoes , are yanky-tanky with the shifter and i drive it like i stole it. So go and buy one. You quizzed me into the ground about it... and stuff... so BUY ONE
Quote from S14 DRIFT :All the things i dont do with my g25. I wear shoes , are yanky-tanky with the shifter and i drive it like i stole it. So go and buy one. You quizzed me into the ground about it... and stuff... so BUY ONE

How does the shifter feel compared to when you just got it, considering you shift really hard? If i had the H pattern shifter, i certainly wouldnt want to slowly shift, during a race.
Boomp
Double
You described spiking in your original post when you said the accelerator would jump up to half way randomly very quickly.

Spike-
  1. A sharp rise followed by a sharp decline in a graph or in the tracing of a scientific instrument.
  2. A sharp momentary increase in voltage or electric current.
Unless your wheel is still under warranty they wont do anything. Even if they used to replace wheels out of warranty, they dont anymore. I've tried, many times.
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :How does the shifter feel compared to when you just got it, considering you shift really hard? If i had the H pattern shifter, i certainly wouldnt want to slowly shift, during a race.

Its fine, I can webcam u later and show u how i use it if you;d like, and its NOT broken yet ^^
sorry i come buggin in here, but i have a problem aswell with my dfp, but my problem is concerning the wheel.

i drive a lot on the oval track, and have about 3500 laps on it. but now, my dfp tends to do wierd stuff. as the oval is constantly steering left, i think it might have to do something with it but im not sure....

what happens is that when im inside a turn, lining up on the straight, drafting other people, or sometimes just on the straight, my force feedback is putting counterforce on left side, but then, sometimes, it switches to the right, like for a couple of sec, and then when i get to a straight line, the ffb is back the way it should be....

you can imagine that, while im in a close race, if this thing occurs i always take some poor soul with me....

any suggestions to fix this?

GREETZZzz..
I also had my DFP for 18 months before the pedals started spiking. I emailed customer support with the problem and after confirming when and where I bought it (they took my word for this, I didn't have to send any proof of purchase) they sent me new pedals AND a new wheel within a few days.
I believe the guarentee is 2 years, in the UK at least, so hopefully you'll get the same result as me.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG