The online racing simulator
#1 - garph
No more free roaming or drifting map request PLEASE.....
...it's driving me mental!

I know people drift and I know people like the city driving things but all these are side effects of LFS being a racing simulator.

No drifting or free roaming maps will be in LFS as it has nothing to do with an online racing simulator and not the direction LFS is heading in. Those are totally different ideas and game genres.

LFS is a track racing based game, not GTA or NFS or anything else!
Quote from garph :...it's driving me mental!

I know people drift and I know people like the city driving things but all these are side effects of LFS being a racing simulator.

No drifting or free roaming maps will be in LFS as it has nothing to do with an online racing simulator and not the direction LFS is heading in. Those are totally different ideas and game genres.

LFS is a track racing based game, not GTA or NFS or anything else!

well said dude!
Please please please sticky this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1
Sticky!
but for single player? ^^ just a joke
+1
The best suggestion in quite some time! It's driving me crazy as well and I find myself responding in those "suggestion" threads far to frequently any more. I have to learn to ignore it and learn to ignore the "drifting is racing" comments as well. We need to use these as a learning tool and learn not to click on the threads to read them, LOL.

I, of course, have no problems with people asking for help about drifting if they are having difficulties, such as the "Whats a good steer rate and return rate for drifting?" thread. It is possible to drift in LFS since it is possible to do it for real in a car. If you want to drift in LFS, or drive around in a city obeying traffic laws (I took a break from racing to mess about with this for a while), etc, then more power too you. But just don't ask for the developers to stop what they are doing to achieve the goal of LFS for extra stuff like this.
#8 - JTbo
How can any of us say what is direction of LFS? Isn't it only developers who can say what belongs to LFS and what not?

When physics are complete I would say it would be not wise to leave it just to one LFS that is only racing around track, there would be load of different routes and are those enough to spend time to make own product based to LFS? There is lot of different markets to please and it would be sad if best physics would not be used for other styles than just racing, I would like to see range of products that uses this great physics engine.

But still it is only devs that can make decisions or even say what is current course of LFS what it should have and what not, I find it quite unpleasant to constantly read how people are saying how LFS is not this or that and how LFS should never have this.

For them I would say open eyes and look with bit wider perspective, absolute tight limitations have never done any good and they won't help LFS to be better product.

I did write small story that describes how I see this situation, well I feel it describes it quite well, your opinion might differ again, but that is nothing new

Quote :Man has a field and few pigs, he lives in small village surrounded by hills which is whole world that he knows, all he does is farming and sleeping, he never has left the village, life is poor and hunger is every day visitor. Sometimes there comes stranger to Village that says that there is lot of wealth behind those hills, why you people don't go and search for rich life? Everyone comes with anger and throw stones towards stranger calling him demon and nobody believes stranger that runs away in terror.
Years passes and now farmer is an old man, one day he climbs up over hill as his pig did run away to that direction, after he reaches top of hill he sees hige cities, streets paved with gold and people wealthy and surely not never even seen hunger, he can't find his pig and goes back to his village where he dies next day.

Surely his life would been completely different if he would been bit more open minded and explored what is beyond hills earlier in his life.

#9 - garph
Quote from JTbo :When physics are complete I would say it would be not wise to leave it just to one LFS that is only racing around track, there would be load of different routes and are those enough to spend time to make own product based to LFS? There is lot of different markets to please and it would be sad if best physics would not be used for other styles than just racing, I would like to see range of products that uses this great physics engine.

I understand what your point but there is a saying, "..jack of all trades master of none".

From what I have seen over the years the one thing I'm sure of is that LFS is not a free roaming map game or a points scoring drifting game. I'd prefer the devs to put all their available time into making LFS a finished racing simulator.

LFS has its market place in being a racing simulator to try and make it into something else to please more people or sell more units would, in my view, totally loose what LFS is all about.
I don't have a problem with the addition of drift/roam maps, but we definitely don't need endless discussions about them. Please don't make this thread into another one.

If those kind of tracks get added and you don't like it - don't drive on them.
Quote from Dajmin :I don't have a problem with the addition of drift/roam maps, but we definitely don't need endless discussions about them. Please don't make this thread into another one.

You're right, one thread requesting map additions is enough. There is no need for five or six asking for the same thing, which is part of my original point.
If, one day, LFS has the most advanced aerodynamic solutions in a driving sim, I don't want it to become a flight-sim.

Just because LFS can be drifted or driven slowly doesn't mean it should become a drift/granny sim. It's a race sim, and I think it's best left as a race sim by the devs.
#13 - JTbo
I don't see that anything in improvement suggestions section is going to take away time from LFS development to direction devs has chosen, they follow their route in their schedule that is basic principle of how LFS is being developed, if devs see what they like they may add it to list, but certainly never it is going to cause development direction or speed to change, besides I remember reading quite long time ago that Scawen did had quite complete list of features for LFS, it was something among lines of suggested features list is quite full already or something like that, but it was really long time ago so I believe only small details and such are those that really affect at the moment.

That is why I have started to think that there could be different products like:
-LFS learning edition, now contains traffic rule sets of most countries
-LFS Drifters touge, feel the exitement of sideways action in most challenging touge courses evah
-LFS Mod, create your own cars and tracks, enjoy world of customization.
-LFS Online racing simulator, the original LFS, the one and only the best online racing game there is, comes with LFS World stats, you won't find them elsewhere

Naturally such developments should be made after this first product is ready.

That would be how to make quite some money out from it but I really can't say if that is what devs ever would enjoy of doing and if it is not what they would enjoy what they would like then it is not going to happen either as we know LFS is game made without strict schedules etc. it is why it goes further in simulating as there is passion in making, will to create something that creator enjoys.

But for threads, well I would say that there could be some filter when you hit post if there is drift or freeroam in title it would not make a post but direct you to search function and uses title as search word
we just need someone to make a post including all suggestions made, this will become a sticky and whoever does repost one of them gets punished
Anyone feeling a need to roam should use something that was designed for it, TDU and the GTA series fit the bill very well
Why is this in the improvement suggestions forum? Its more a howl of anguish than a constructive suggestion.
#17 - Gunn
Yeah the LFS physics have huge potential for application to other genres for sure, but many of them don't really ring the bell when you consider sim racing, or any racing at all for that matter. I think it is easy to understand how some people might wish LFS to be everything they want in an online driving experience but, as I often like to say: I'm just here for the race sim.

There will always be room for other activities within such a great simulator, but I really like how the focus has not wavered from online sim racing for LFS development. No matter what other sims and games have apparently achieved in, or offered to, various markets LFS still seems to be the only one that has stuck to the rails of online sim racing. Netkar deserves a mention too in my book, but it isn't "as ready to use" as LFS, if I can be diplomatic about it.

A proper online race sim, now there's a great idea.
The moral of this story is: SEARCH
#20 - JTbo
Quote from Bob Smith :The moral of this story is: SEARCH

Could it be possible to make sticky thread with title "Looking for drifting or free roam? click here" and then add links to certain searches like "drifting" to post so that there read For drifting click here and it is linky things etc?

That might reduce amount of these most common threads perhaps a little?
#21 - JJ72
Quote from JTbo :Could it be possible to make sticky thread with title "Looking for drifting or free roam? click here" and then add links to certain searches like "drifting" to post so that there read For drifting click here and it is linky things etc?

That might reduce amount of these most common threads perhaps a little?

Doesn't work that way. People who hunt down to read sticky threads are the same people who would come to a sim/whatever forum after 4 years of developement and think to search for a question/topic they may have to post. Those same people who you want to read the sticky because they can't think to search are the ones who would never look at the sticky.

I just bought a Mazda Tribute for the wife. It is the same as a Ford Escape. I have been looking around the net for a forum on the Tribute. Not much out there. I found Escape-Central though after thinking to look for Escape forums. I registered and am waiting for activation (doesn't seem to be a well moderated forum). In the mean time, I'm reading through the forum. I've learned more about my new Tribute than I could ever learn by simply thinking of a common question and asking the same question that has been asked over and over and over again. I did the same for NR2003 when I started racing with it, the same for LFS, the same for flight simming, the same for RC flying, etc, etc.
Quote from mrodgers :Doesn't work that way. People who hunt down to read sticky threads are the same people who would come to a sim/whatever forum after 4 years of developement and think to search for a question/topic they may have to post.

Having a bad day, so excuse my brusqueness, but its a car game... kids are going to be attracted to it, they aren't going to search for topics, they are going to ask the same questions over and over. That's what kids do.

Get over it everybody.
#24 - JTbo
Quote from nihil :Having a bad day, so excuse my brusqueness, but its a car game... kids are going to be attracted to it, they aren't going to search for topics, they are going to ask the same questions over and over. That's what kids do.

Get over it everybody.

Still kids won't need to let act like that, they can be gently directed towards correct ways with small bans or warnings for example
nihil - there's two sides to that argument. As JTbo says, somebody has to teach kids how to grow up and behave as an adult? It seems many parents are not bothering...

Basically this forum has mods because we know and expect everything won't run smoothly. If we let it wind us up we'd all go insane, at least regular members shouldn't feel obligated to tell people how to use a forum (although it does ease the work load ).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG