The online racing simulator
Oval setup weirdness.
(4 posts, started )
Oval setup weirdness.
I was watching part of a GTR race on the Kyoto oval and I noticed that everyone had setups with ridiculously long front suspension travel... the cars were basically all looking at the sky and yet there was no lift or anything generated even at 290km/h that some of the drivers reached in the FZR.

Isn't this some sort of bug? I did a quick search in the forums and surprisingly it doesn't seem like someone's mentioned it before (or I'm just not searching properly).
yes, it is, it's been reported before particularly on the FO8's.
I believe the powers in charge are attending to the matter.
Yes this is a bug. It has been metioned before, perhaps not on the new forums though. (doh! too slow )

Regarding this bug..how much more difficult does this increased ride height make driving the cars(from a setup maker's point of view)? Does this bug cause the cars to be actualy faster than if there was no bug. ie when we get a patch will the times in these cars/top speed be slower?
Quote from DratsaB :Yes this is a bug. It has been metioned before, perhaps not on the new forums though. (doh! too slow )

Regarding this bug..how much more difficult does this increased ride height make driving the cars(from a setup maker's point of view)? Does this bug cause the cars to be actualy faster than if there was no bug. ie when we get a patch will the times in these cars/top speed be slower?

The high-nose bug has to do with downforce being applied along the axis of the car, no matter what angle the car is at. Basically if the car is angled way up in the front, the downforce is actually pushing slightly forward as well as down, which gives you about 10-20 km/h extra top speed, a notable advantage on the Oval. Naturally this only works in cars with downforce. In reality of course, such a configuration would be generating massive amounts of lift and be wholly undrivable.

As it is, the high-nose setups are a bit fussy to drive, but not nearly as bad as you'd think. I've tried driving one (on principle I don't use the bug in real racing) and though it can be a bit squirrely depending on how extreme you go, it's within my capabilities as an average driver.

Oval setup weirdness.
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG