The online racing simulator
Wedge?
(14 posts, started )
Wedge?
wedge anyone?

.. no not a wedge of cheese illepall

hey with an oval, i dont see why we shouldnt have wedge on some of the cars (if not all)

cause i mean.. its not like its not real, and you can increase wedge for any car in life

any ideas?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#2 - spoop
no, no a wedge is a rubber block put in the springs to, uhh, i dunno
lol nice try, wedge has to do with tire sizes
it can be done to any car, you just put a slightly (SLIGHTLY) larger wheel on one side of the car, therefore you have it so the outside wheels will have to go further distances, while inside tires travel less, therefore you dont wear out your outside tires so much

it can be done on any track, but it can destroy tires if not done correctly so.. but hey, atleast it would be helpfull
Ermmm tire sizes?

I think you are reading diagrams wrong or something...

Wedge
1.) The cross-weight difference, the amount of weight on the left rear and right front of the car.
2.) What a 300 lb fan has to do to get into their reserved racetrack seat.

Wedge Adjustment
Chassis adjustment on the springs, that changes the ride height and the spring rate.

Quote :NASCAR teams have the ability to transfer weight between the front and the rear of a race car. One of the most common ways to transfer weight is known as a "wedge adjustment". This adjustment increases or decreases spring tension, which in turn tranfers weight distribution. Each corner of the race car has a coil spring, and each spring can be adjusted. The word "wedge adjustment" comes from the old days when race teams stuck a block of wood into the spring to increase tension and transfer weight distribution on a race car. Today, race teams make this adjustment by sticking a ratchet and extension through a hole in the back windshield and into a threaded shaft that connects to a plate that sits on top of the spring. The same type of adjustment applies to the front springs. To add wedge (increase tension), turn the ratchet clock-wise. To take wedge out (decrease tension), turn the ratchet counter-clockwise.

1. Car is tight and it won't turn.
* Solution: Loosen-up the car. Reduce the amount of grip on the rear tires, so the back of the car will slightly break loose allowing the front end to turn.
* How: Add one round of wedge to the right rear corner of the race car, which reduces the amount of weight, or psi of grip to the rear tires which transfers that weight to the front tires, increasing the grip to the front end.
2. Car is loose.
* Solution: Tighten-up the car. Reduce the amount of grip on the front tires, so the front of the car doesn't plant itself so firmly that is causes the back of the car to break loose because the rear tires do not have enough grip to hold the track in the turns.
* How: Take-out one round of wedge on the right rear corner of the race car, which increases the amount of weight, or psi of grip to the rear tires and reduces the grip to the front tires.

It really is purely an oval setting.... making the car 'lean' more to one side (in this case to the left) when stationary.

/me gives XCNuse a wedgie ants:
thats what it is now..
back when it originally was made up by (cant remember his name) dad used to race with him, it was tire sizes

so wherever you got that, either that was the early ways of doing it as it got around.. or is incorrect but im gonna have to say thats how it was done when all the teams knew about it

either that..or im thinking about something else
sure your not thinking of the sprint cars? They use the way larger tires on one side.
ya but what is that called? so tired i cant even think anymore lol
its called stagger

STAGGER (OPEN WHEEL) On ovals, teams may use a different size tire (or stagger) on the outside wheel to improve the car's handling ability.

STAGGER (CLOSED WHEEL) The amount of flex in the side wall of a tire in racing. Race teams can use the stagger of the tire to stiffen the spring ratio of the car by adding air to the tire and thereby change how the car handles.

http://www.autospeak.com/terms96.htm
If you could do the ride height reduction setting assymetrically, you could put wedge into the car by adjusting one wheel independently of the others.
Or, given that we have asymettric tyre pressures, you can put some stagger (or wedge) in like that.

For the record, my understanding of wedge is that the spring rates are altered asymettrically to result in the LF+RR and RF+LR corner weights being something other than 50%-50%.
man oval racing is so boring.
XCNuse, now that we got the names and descriptions of wedge and staggar settled, I totally agree. I do happen to like oval racing, I've been a Nascar fan for years and have played Papyrus's Nascar sims for years. I found LFS 8 months ago and haven't really touched anything else since, though. I did do a fresh install of windows and after a few months of my brother-in-law hounding me, I did finally get NR2003 installed back on the hard drive, but still haven't actually loaded it up. I haven't raced the oval but for a few test laps when S2 was released. I immediately knew there was something missing when I hit the first corner, and that was the wedge and staggar. It just doesn't feel right and to me is impossible to race there without that feeling. No big deal, LFS doesn't put NR2003 into the ground, so if I want oval racing, I have that to fall back on. But it would be a huge improvement in oval racing to have these settings. Then again, IRL, Nascar is the only racing series that I am at all familiar with. Do they have these settings in other racing series other than American oval racing? I don't even know if there IS oval racing anywhere outside of the US.
Quote from XCNuse :
either that..or im thinking about something else

Stagger. You are thinking of stagger.

I only mention this in repetition so I can mention how Bill Elliot's NASCAR racing for NES made use of that cool feature....
:lol:
Quote from Tweaker : me gives XCNuse a wedgie ants:

LOL! Made me laugh! I would agree with the Nascar definition of wedge. Carry on.

Wedge?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG