The online racing simulator
Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
Quote from Forbin :Put these items on your immediate to-buy list:

leather jacket
leather gloves
leather boots
leather pants

If you have any objection to leather (religious or otherwise), you can easily find the jacket and pants in synthetic material (not mesh, avoid anything that says mesh). That might be a little more difficult for the gloves and boots, though.

Trust me, road rash sucks.

Well said goes without saying really you would have to be daft to go out on a croch rocket without above items
Yeah, I've been looking to get some of this stuff but just haven't done any research. How much does this stuff go for?

Quote from Forbin :Put these items on your immediate to-buy list:

leather jacket
leather gloves
leather boots
leather pants

If you have any objection to leather (religious or otherwise), you can easily find the jacket and pants in synthetic material (not mesh, avoid anything that says mesh). That might be a little more difficult for the gloves and boots, though.

Trust me, road rash sucks.

Quote from Billeh :Well said goes without saying really you would have to be daft to go out on a croch rocket without above items

Not just "crotch rockets." All motorbikes.

Quote from shashdev :Yeah, I've been looking to get some of this stuff but just haven't done any research. How much does this stuff go for?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/

Heroic is one of my favorite brands. Their gloves are amazing, but priced accordingly at $300 for their top of the line gloves.

http://www.heroicracing.com/
Quote from Forbin :Not just "crotch rockets." All motorbikes.

Yeah ment all bikes sorry Even mini moto's as i can vouch for
You should also get a back protector...
I also recommend wearing leather.

Don't think you're safe because it's only a quick ride around the neighborhood. I once decided not to put on my gear, since i just had 1 mile to drive to go for lunch... There was a little spot of sand on the parking lot of the restaurant... i lost the rear and crashed at maybe 10 mph, was enough to put a nice hole into my jeans and **** up my knee slightly.

A friend of mine has a knee cap implant these days because he crashed at 45 mph wearing jeans.

Quote from Forbin :Not just "crotch rockets." All motorbikes.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/

Heroic is one of my favorite brands. Their gloves are amazing, but priced accordingly at $300 for their top of the line gloves.

http://www.heroicracing.com/

I'm all for protection, but 300 dollars for gloves?! My bike cost me 1700 (granted it was a freaking sweet deal) and it seems obnoxious to be paying 300 for gloves. At what price point can I get fairly decent gloves? I'm not going to be racing my bike or something, so I don't need like these racing gloves or anything. Just some motorcycle gear.
Quote from shashdev :I'm all for protection, but 300 dollars for gloves?! My bike cost me 1700 (granted it was a freaking sweet deal) and it seems obnoxious to be paying 300 for gloves. At what price point can I get fairly decent gloves? I'm not going to be racing my bike or something, so I don't need like these racing gloves or anything. Just some motorcycle gear.

Do you expect me to do your research for you? I gave you some links. Look around on those. Look up reviews for the stuff you find in your price range.

I told you what I use, and I also told you that what I use is very expensive. There is plenty of gear out there that is cheaper. I just put it out there as an option.

Gear is a lot cheaper than medical bills pretty much regardless of what you spend on gear. Think of it as an alternative form of medical insurance.
I really want a motorcycle for the great mileage and everything but I also don't want to die. Assuming I would learn to ride as well as I drive, how dangerous is motorcycle riding honestly?

Also the people in my city are scared of driving/overly courteous and therefore unpredictable and unsafe (compared to San Francisco) so that turns me off.
Quote from flymike91 :I really want a motorcycle for the great mileage and everything but I also don't want to die. Assuming I would learn to ride as well as I drive, how dangerous is motorcycle riding honestly?

Also the people in my city are scared of driving/overly courteous and therefore unpredictable and unsafe (compared to San Francisco) so that turns me off.

The way my motorcycle instructor explained to us about motorcycle safety is this: If you are going to ride a motorcycle, you need to accept risk. However, everything you do has risk. The thing it comes down to is how you balance your risk with consequences. A good bike rider is the one who always tries to minimize risk.

Basically, riding a bike will never be as safe as driving a car. However, if you are a good rider, you can minimize the risk present to yourself. It's very possible to have fun on a bike without being an idiot.
Quote from flymike91 :I really want a motorcycle for the great mileage and everything but I also don't want to die. Assuming I would learn to ride as well as I drive, how dangerous is motorcycle riding honestly?

All I'd say is get all/most of the gear and don't twist your right hand on the roads, keep it on the track.

I think it was somewhere on Wiki that it is more dangerous than driving a car, but less than horseback riding. I'll edit this post if I can find it.

E: from the article of "Motorcycling"

"Motorcycling is a more dangerous means of transport than other road alternatives: the relative risk of a motorcycle rider being killed or seriously injured per kilometre travelled was around 54 times higher in Great Britain in 2006 than for car drivers. However, motorcycling is less dangerous than many other popular outdoor recreational activities, including horseback riding."

You can't rely on stats alone though!
Good to know thanks

Riding a bike to save money is the wrong way to go about it. For one, unless you get something super cheap and it's your only vehicle, it's a losing proposition. You spend so much money up front for a second vehicle that requires far more frequent maintenance (valve adjustments every 20K miles, oil change every 2K miles, tires ever 8K miles) and all of the necessary riding gear that you may never recoup the cost, even with double or even triple the fuel efficiency.

If it is your only vehicle, you also lose out on a lot of comfort in poor weather and utility. To get some of that comfort back, you need to spend even more on gear. Granted, some people do get around the lack of utility by being creative (see riders in Vietnam).

Ride because you love riding. There's absolutely nothing logical about it.
I think i'm just a four-wheeled guy after all. Half of my imagination is focused on how awesome it would be and the other half is stuck under a SUV.
buy enduro bike and get dirty as pig. Forget about saving money, have some fun!
Buying a used helmet is a horrible idea. I hope that is not how you got yours. It is the most vital item you wear and is easily damaged from mistreatment, rendering it useless.

Buying used for other riding gear is fine, although you may find it a bit smelly/dirty, both internally and externally. Also be aware of any weakened spots and/or holes from crashing.
Quote from Forbin :Buying a helmet used is a horrible idea. I hope that is not how you got yours. It is the most vital item you wear and is easily damaged from mistreatment, rendering it useless.

Buying other riding gear used is fine, although you may find it a bit smelly/dirty, both internally and externally. Also be aware of any weakened spots and/or holes from crashing.

That reminds me of a slogan from years ago, which was something like this: You should buy a €100 helmet only if you have a €100 head. I was impressed.
Quote from hrtburnout :That reminds me of a slogan from years ago, which was something like this: You should buy a €100 helmet only if you have a €100 head. I was impressed.

It's a decent rule of thumb but it's not entirely true. The safety factor of a full-face SNELL 2010 or ECE certified helmet is fairly constant across the board, AFAIK. Most (maybe all) of what you you pay for on more expensive helmets are features and comfort. As long as you buy new.
Quote from Forbin :Buying a used helmet is a horrible idea. I hope that is not how you got yours. It is the most vital item you wear and is easily damaged from mistreatment, rendering it useless.

Buying used for other riding gear is fine, although you may find it a bit smelly/dirty, both internally and externally. Also be aware of any weakened spots and/or holes from crashing.

Well the helmet is used, but he's never crashed with it on and it's never fallen or anything. I inspected it and there weren't any scratches or dents and it's DOT and Snell approved. It's also only like a couple years old. It was too good a deal to pass up.
Quote from shashdev :Well the helmet is used, but he's never crashed with it on and it's never fallen or anything. I inspected it and there weren't any scratches or dents and it's DOT and Snell approved. It's also only like a couple years old. It was too good a deal to pass up.

It's your head. Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money.
BOOMP

shitty camera and shitty windows editing program. Stupid low res upload caused blue spots all over the bike, hi res looks almost acceptable...
Here
Attached images
ooooo.JPG
Quote from andybarsblade :Picking it up in 2 weeks

Nice, how are you liking it? Looks like the avatar I made for ya is going to be out of date now, haha :P Don't think we can easily fit 3 bikes in such a small space

Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG