The online racing simulator
Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
Finally got it together, It has been in boxes for about 5 years.
Originally a 1978 TT500 but I made it a TT/XT hybrid. I do not care about the dented tank, I am going to be riding the damn thing.
This is only one of the 5 motorcycles that I have but whatever...
Attached images
IMG_5383sml.jpg
Quote from skstibi :Finally got it together, It has been in boxes for about 5 years.
Originally a 1978 TT500 but I made it a TT/XT hybrid. I do not care about the dented tank, I am going to be riding the damn thing.
This is only one of the 5 motorcycles that I have but whatever...

These old yamahas are so awesome! I have XT 550 . Can't get it to work properly, put it's still cool
Quote from KiRmelius :These old yamahas are so awesome! I have XT 550 . Can't get it to work properly, put it's still cool

Well what's the problem maybe we can help a bit
Well it idles rough, and backfires a lot. When cold, it's running almost fine, pulls like a rocket, but when engine warms up bike starts to struggle and tremble, until it stalls. After a few minutes I can start it again and it goes nicely, until it gets hot again. Changed the spark plug, lowered fuel level in carb, but no help. Also, it's running very rich. I also suspected ignition timing, but I don't know how to adjust it, because I have scanned service manual, and those two pages about timing are missing.

I still love my Yamaha, despite it's bitchy behavior.
Nice video Forbin with some decent riding. Brings back memories of when I had the little old SV650s. You go flying past that guy around 3:50
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Nice video Forbin with some decent riding. Brings back memories of when I had the little old SV650s. You go flying past that guy around 3:50

I actually had the rear tire spinning up at 9:58, 4th gear full throttle. That particular corner is a bit off-camber on the outside, so it only stopped sliding once I hit the curb with its greater camber.
The track looks a pig! too fast/simple dirt on a few apex's and bumpy patchy tarmac. You should come to the uk and try a few of our tracks out

But your bike looks really planted and well set up top job
That's ma' Fixie.

Quote from Ales_M :Legit!

dont believe me? Shy

anyways, now with a (somewhat) proper downhill bike, with a heavy 43ish pounds frame, and full suspension; how do i do a j-hop

bunny hops stopped getting me over things, as the suspension just sucks it all up, and i have seen j-hops get the height i have lost back (with practice, and proper technique), now how do i j-hop a dh mtb

i have googled it, youtubed it, dont want to create a thread, because i feel like nobody would know on a racing forum; this thread seems to make sense.
Quote from andybarsblade :The track looks a pig! too fast/simple dirt on a few apex's and bumpy patchy tarmac. You should come to the uk and try a few of our tracks out

But your bike looks really planted and well set up top job

Thanks! The bike's okay, geometry's a bit off, though. Steering is still too heavy/slow. Need to lower the front slightly.

Yeah, Summit Point (see below) is probably the worst in the eastern US for surface condition, save for Pocono but no one goes there anymore. It's a roval and the only thing they care about is nascar.

The other track on my region's (Atlantic) calendar is NJMP Thunderbolt, which is a much newer and slightly more complex circuit.

The Mid-Atlantic region goes here, on the North circuit. It's one of the top tracks in the US, but it's 12 hours from me. NJMP is 2.5 hours, and Summit is 4 hours.

Quote from KiRmelius :Well it idles rough, and backfires a lot. When cold, it's running almost fine, pulls like a rocket, but when engine warms up bike starts to struggle and tremble, until it stalls.
I still love my Yamaha, despite it's bitchy behavior.

I was about to scan some pages from my manuals to send you but then I realized something; you have the CDI type ignition . This explains just about all the symptoms. I have had four bikes with the CDI and two have failed. What I have experienced is They are extremely difficult to start and backfire while trying to start causing massive quantities of pain. When they do run, they backfire and run inconsistently but do have their moments of running extremely well.

I would make absolute certain that the problem is not with your carburetor, clean it (air and fuel passage ways must be clear) or try one that is known to be good. If this does not solve the problem, then your CDI box is probably bad and you should start looking for another.

This diagnostic advice was given to me by multiple people and I find it funny.
Locate the CDI box (on the XT's this is located behind the air box mounted to the frame), grab a hammer, and hit the box. If the bike runs better or worse, find a new CDI unit. If it runs the same, hit it harder...

Maybe someone else has another idea but from my experiences, I would say it is the CDI. This is not something I consider lightly as those CDI boxes can be VERY expensive. This is why I stick to bikes with points.
Quote from PioneerLv :That's ma' Fixie.

those are banned over here...get caught with one and its seized
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Get points CDI is crap!

What's funny about that statement is that I am actually working on doing this to my 1981 XT500 because I bought the bike with a bad CDI but I cannot force myself to part the bike out.

I have never had a problem with a set of points. If you adjust them once in a while, they do not go bad on their own.
If you don't mind me asking, what are these points exactly?

Googling points won't help much.

My little toy that I brought out from hiding in the garage. It is still too loud and slow to be cruising around in everyday. It will probably be for sale soon.
'96 CBR600F, drives like a dream

Still need to get rid of the huge indicators. I've managed to get a seatcover just need to give it a paintjob. I'm also planning on getting a Mivv gp exhaust
Attached images
motorstek_78289_original.jpg
Very nice!

I was thinking of a CBR 600F or ZZR 600 as a next bike. But im now thinking i might get a supermoto.

All dreams though because i am a student with no money and the NC30 does me fine.
Quote from MINIz guy : http://farm4.static.flickr.com ... 5797915026_54abbc05ac.jpg

My little toy that I brought out from hiding in the garage. It is still too loud and slow to be cruising around in everyday. It will probably be for sale soon.

Cool! Do want.

That DIY analog CDI is really shitty, it only has two ignition advance points - 12 degrees and 34 degrees, so engine isn't going to run very good, but this will show is my original CDI faulty. If problem is in CDI, then I'll try to make programmable one, with rev limiter some day.

Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG