The online racing simulator
Mouseover setup tips
(16 posts, started )
Mouseover setup tips
Here's an idea: If enabled, when you mouse-over a variable in the setup (take downforce, for instance), a small pop-up would come and tell you what adjusting that would do.

For instance, you mouse-over the wing angle bar, and the pop-up comes and tells you: "Wing angle adjusts how upright (or flat, for that matter) your wing is. A higher angle means less speed but more control, and a lower angle means higher speed but less control." Of course, my blurb may not be terribly well written, but you get the idea.

This would definitely be a great help to anybody wanting to make a great setup but not knowing what everything means.
Quote from BlackSheep720 :Here's an idea: If enabled, when you mouse-over a variable in the setup (take downforce, for instance), a small pop-up would come and tell you what adjusting that would do.

For instance, you mouse-over the wing angle bar, and the pop-up comes and tells you: "Wing angle adjusts how upright (or flat, for that matter) your wing is. A higher angle means less speed but more control, and a lower angle means higher speed but less control." Of course, my blurb may not be terribly well written, but you get the idea.

This would definitely be a great help to anybody wanting to make a great setup but not knowing what everything means.

I would'nt like to see this implemented as i think it would just take away the point of making a setup, for example, if your working on a real car trying to make a nice setup for it, you dont put your rachet on the bolt, then a huge pop-up appears saying "making this stiffer will result in better handling but...." instead, you either mess with it if you know what your doing, OR if your experiementing with the car, and anyway, there are setup tutorials for LFS, so in all.... -1 from me

Frenchy
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I would'nt like to see this implemented as i think it would just take away the point of making a setup

eh? nonsense.
as we all like to be competive, it surely would be nice to have for those who dont know what some things do.
I would like this for learning purposes. Sometimes I don't adjust anything because I'm not sure what it will do to handling of the care. It would just be as if a more experience mechanic was with you telling you. Even after I adjust something I can kind of tell but still not sure unless I make it drastic. Even the best mechanic at one point in there life didn't know what did what and why.

It would help me since I like to make my own setups but not very good at it. I want to make a setup to my driving style not constantly have to relearn to do someone else's driving style. I prefer a stiff car, where as when I download Inferno setups they feel very loose to me. Not my preferred driving style.

So +1 for me.
Brief and to the point pop-ups are a great idea, something simple for the beginner to read, if somebody wants more they can read an in-depth setup guide to learn all the ins and outs.
#6 - bbman
Very good idea! Might get more people to making/adjusting setups to their driving style...
I will just quote myself here with some Pictures.

NASCAR RACING 2003 Season by Papyrus has that very nice feature, that when you move with the Mouse over a button and stay there for a second or two a little window appears explaining the function and some General Info regarding this button.

This is very practical when it comes to Setup Changes for example, you dont know how a specific parameter will change the behaviour of the car? Move with the Mouse over it and stay there to see an explanation of what this function will do to the cars handling.

This Information Windows are there in all Screens, like Replay or Options Settings, Car Garage, these little Pop-Up Windows are there in all Menus and whenever you need a Info on a certain function.

It makes the whole Setup in the Garage very explainable for Newbies who have never setted up a car, what does strengthening the front springs do to the car handling? Move with the Mouse over the Spring rates + button to see an explanation of what this change does to the car. The Mouse gives an Info wherever you put it and keep it on the screen.

http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=19618&d=1163595328

http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=19619&d=1163595328

http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=19620&d=1163595328

http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=19621&d=1163595328
#8 - wark
So long as you can turn em off. =p
as soon as you move the mouse its off
#10 - CSU1
The lack of info on one screen is the problem. Tbh I hate those pop up mouse over things they get in the way and tell me what I already know so I'd turn them off.

Oh Lord! All I want is a rolling dyno in my pit!...Please....
....Pleeeeeeeeease....
Attached images
images.jpeg
Just have a simple on/off switch, like on the left side to display driver or not. Basic example.
#12 - CSU1
Whatcha mean?
In the setup screen there is on/off to display driver in the car or not. Could be the same simple on/off to display on screen tips or not.
It's not exactly difficult to create a togglable option to disable mouse hover tips (for when people get bored of them).

Edit: slow tonight
#15 - CSU1
Quote from Bob Smith :It's not exactly difficult to create a togglable option to disable mouse hover tips (for when people get bored of them).

Edit: slow tonight

I hate tips, they get in the way and they tell me what I already know!!!

-1 for this one.I want a dyno.for real.
Quote from neglouseight : Sometimes I don't adjust anything because I'm not sure what it will do to handling of the care. It would just be as if a more experience mechanic was with you telling you. Even after I adjust something I can kind of tell but still not sure unless I make it drastic.

Even the best mechanic at one point in there life didn't know what did what and why.

You are absolutely right m8. Mechanics didnt know at one point, i can tell you how they learned! ANY search engine will give you a website or close to on how to setup a car, Google Search *rebound* or suspension or how to guides.. people.. you name it..
Im pretty sure that there is enough lfs players to help you learn... if you want to come search me up sometime.. ill be more than happy to help you learn or if you have ANY question about suspension and what they do in comparison to other parts of the car. just ask m8 im always around Good luck with suspension help

Mouseover setup tips
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG