The online racing simulator
Parsing replays for skin downloading
This has been on my mind for a while. I'm wondering if it was possible that with all the knowledgeable folks around here if someone would be able to code an add-on app to read multiple replays then download the skins that are not present in the skins_x folder.

I'm of course on dialup, as many of you know. I don't DL skins on the servers, but usually load up LFS anytime I'm doing something else on the PC so I can DL the skins from the replays. It's the main reason why I save replays. Though it is a laborious task as I have to do them one replay at a time and it does take quite a while DL'ing the skins when there are many not already in my skins_x folder. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a slow connection who doesn't DL skins on the server, even if others are on broadband, but a slower broadband connection (ie, 128 or 256k, they do exist).

Just something that was on my mind, and I was thinking about it with improvement suggestions. But I didn't think it was important enough to warrent developer time spent on putting something like this in LFS. So, I thought perhaps it could be something to be programmed as a miscelaneous add-on.

Anyone think the idea is a decent one?

FWIW, after 2 years with LFS on dialup, my skins_x folder is 4122 skins. Pretty impressive skin folder for a 56k guy, eh?
#2 - Davo
I always spec a minute or so before joining so all the skins get downloaded. Most skins are around 100kb which only takes 25 seconds to download an dialup some of them being half that size. I can't race without skins, white cars would ruin the immersion totally for me.
Wow, a response! I must have missed it before in my dialup infested world, LOL.

Nope, sorry, but it doesn't just take 25 seconds to download skins on dialup. It can take several minutes even for just one skin. It's not a concern over how long it takes, but a concern of timing out of the server. Some servers I can click yes, then no on the skindownload option and grab them one at a time and some I would time out. If I just tried to download all upon entering a server, not only would I time out, but I would lag the server as well.

6-8 skins to download could take an entire race on public arrive and drive servers.

No big deal though. Such is life raising your kids on a single income. It's just a factor of inexpensive dialup and I do just fine downloading from replays. Just thought someone would have an idea of an app to do it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG