The online racing simulator
Multiplayer patch after V3
(32 posts, started )
The first incarnation of the BF1's suspension was so weak, that it got bent during high-g corners. Scawen changed the code in one of the "minor" patches, so that the suspension doesn't damage as easily (higher threshold), but if it happens the damage is higher in return.

E: Just looked it up, see here and here. The suspension was changed in patch T3.
Quote from AndroidXP :Where do you have this knowledge from? Did Scawen tell you? Did you have a look at the code? Or is it just an assumption?

If deciding in a replay that "value not there" = "value is 0" is so hard (it is not), how come that replays were still compatible after Scawen strengthened the suspension of the BF1, which was actually really a physics change? I can even recall him saying, that upon loading the replay he was checking if he should let the physics engine run with strong or weak suspension, to stay compatible with replays.

Sorry, but I think you're pulling this out of your butt.

I dare you to find me two versions where there is a feature difference that affects the cars where an older client can connect to the more updated host which has the new feature.

You will not find one.

Regurading the change to the BF1's suspension. That was not the case of a missing paramiter. The value of a paramiter changed. The replay only tracks user input and then then recreats the replay from those inputs and the current game physics and vehicle paramiters. Altering the threshold of when damage occures and how much damage occures if the threshold is passed would not invalidate the replay but whould display slightly different as the physics applied to the repay would differ. It was not deamed in-compatable as it affected a single car, was done right after the car was introduced and was a relitivly small change to two paramiters.

Thats a far cry from adding a new paramiter.

Did I anywhere say that an older client would be able to connect? What the heck, I'm talking about the announced multiplayer incompatible version. Do you understand what that means? It's the same as a physics incompatible version (everybody has to upgrade), but with the added perk that old replays still work so hotlaps are still valid, because only multiplayer features have changed.

The new version, which everybody has to upgrade to, will still work with old replays. Because of this, a newly added feature like ballast could be easily turned off when showing an old replay. Not did I ever say it would also work the other way round. I hope I cleared that up now

PS: It's "parameter", not "paramiter" ;)
But it would still require additional logic to be programed in to the existing replay function to allow for the posibility of the "Ballast" paramater not being there and to then assign a value of zero for that missing paramter. Seems like a lot of extra work to me just to slip in a new feature that could just as easily wait until the next physics/feature update, so as to not have to add extra code that would be made un-nessasary once the next non-compatable version is released.

Thats my point, why do it at all if the work is only going to be needed until the following patch?
I think you're greatly overestimating the work needed for such a feature.
#31 - axus
Well, I'm sure holding my breath in hope for false starts, hopefully that'd not invalidate the replays. Better support for endurance racing would be nice too - ie. not the currently limited array of options for timed races. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.
I wonder about that as well. However; what would happen in the case where the replay has stored input before the light goes green ; ie reving the engine while the clutch pedal isn't out. He couldn't just have it ignore input before the light since then catching a false start would be impossible. So I'm 99% sure that will have to wait for the physically incomp patch But maybe I'll be proven wrong; that'd be awesome.

Multiplayer patch after V3
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG