The online racing simulator
LFS freezing on server search
(17 posts, started )
#1 - Dru
Hi guys,

Anyone help me in the respect that recently my LFS has been freezingup/lagging out (to the non-responding stage in the windows taskbar) whilst performing a server search....

typically it happens everytime i do 'open searches' and it has to go through 500 odd servers, gets to about 250 then crashes??

Is this a 'my computer thing' or an 'lfs thing' or is a 'somethingelse thing' ?

Cheers all,

Dru.
#2 - Davo
Does it still happen when windowed? Is your firewall perhaps freaking out at the number of connections and then blocking lfs?
Hello,
I have the same experience. Sometimes, when I go to the serverlist ("list of games"), some servers are listed and then LFS freezes. I did'nt reported it as a bug, because I'm not able to reproduce it. It does happen approximatelly one time of 15. My lfs never freezes, except this server list case. It started with the V patch. I'm using router (USR8054). It never happens with other "heavy load" applications (e.g. quake server browser - XQF, bittorrent, flood ping).
#4 - Dru
Quote from Davo :Does it still happen when windowed? Is your firewall perhaps freaking out at the number of connections and then blocking lfs?

not sure - will check it out

it has only happened on my new computer (2 weeks old) which is running nVidia firewall rather than the Windows one. I will check it later on.

incidently, for the games day of defeat steam and source i could not get any servers up and running until i switched the firewall over to the windows ones again, as nvidia was preset differently...

for the dod hosting etc. u might enable port forwarding for the steam ports...

for LFS...have u checked your rams again btw mate?

and btw. u shouldnt search for 500 servers...always filter out empty ones
#6 - Dru
Quote from Belain : u might enable port forwarding for the steam ports...

I have no idea about what technical things you say there buddy, if it's simple to do you can help me on ts later..

regarding the memory, well i presume its all in ok, cause the machine is not crashing when running LFS anymore only on the server screen, but will check that later by doing a mem test, just have to remember which of the 50 cd's i put it on
ts?
#8 - Davo
Oh my. Please remove the nvidia software+firewall asap. I'ts nuisance software and does more harm than good. I'm surprised that your downloads and other web related activites are all working properly still. I couldn;t get anything to work with the nvidia stuff installed. Nearly everyoine I know never installs the nvidia network firewall stuff.
#9 - Dru
Quote from Davo :Oh my. Please remove the nvidia software+firewall asap. I'ts nuisance software and does more harm than good. I'm surprised that your downloads and other web related activites are all working properly still. I couldn;t get anything to work with the nvidia stuff installed. Nearly everyoine I know never installs the nvidia network firewall stuff.

lol

don't think i did it intentionally - think i just popped the cd in on startup and it said something like install all drivers, did not know that the graphics card also installed a firewall..... lol

ok i'll take off the firewall stuff and just run the standard windows one, unless you can suggest something better and more 'user friendly'
#10 - Dru
Quote from Belain :ts?

ventrillo - damn using multiple communication things, why is it that people who use ventrillo don't respond to the the term ts and those whose use teamspeak go blank when you use the term vent? lol
because all in all ventrilo pwns TS...!

and btw.. yea definately get rid off that stupid nVidia firewall
#12 - Dru
Quote from Belain :because all in all ventrilo pwns TS...!

and btw.. yea definately get rid off that stupid nVidia firewall

as soon as i get home, its going
nvidia and security software? You could've seen that one coming justin :chairs:
#14 - Dru
Quote from mikey_G :nvidia and security software? You could've seen that one coming justin :chairs:

LOL

but remember, i can not even see Turn one at Blackwood coming......
Quote from Dru :LOL

but remember, i can not even see Turn one at Blackwood coming......

Than you really shoud get your eyes inspected, even noobs can see it(but braking there is a different story)
#16 - Dru
removed nVidia firewall and settings and worked like a charm
:laola:

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG