The online racing simulator
www.blackwoodcircuit.com
(55 posts, started )
www.blackwoodcircuit.com
I notice that the banner over the start line at Blackwood has the web address www.blackwoodcircuit.com on it, but when you look up that addy, then you get a site selling circuit boards. Has that addy been used by the developers to promote LFS or has it always been a fictional addy?
That's a general advertising page for an unbought domain.

The devs did own several circuit domains, which all redirected to the LFS home page, but it seems they've all expired and not been renewed, so I suspect the devs plans have changed.

I'm trying to remember the others:
http://www.southcitytrackday.com/

There was a thread on RSC about it all but I can't find it atm since RSC keeps timing out or moaning my search parameters are too long...
Quote from Bob Smith :The devs did own several circuit domains, which all redirected to the LFS home page, but it seems they've all expired and not been renewed, so I suspect the devs plans have changed.

Unfortunately
Hmm its a shame, it would be quite nice if each track had is own page on which you could find more info. Maybe even guides on how to drive the track and some of its more tricky corners with live record updates from lfsworld...

Well someone could buy the domains and set up circuit info pages, if they have spare time and money to blow.
Quote from Madman_CZ :Hmm its a shame, it would be quite nice if each track had is own page on which you could find more info. Maybe even guides on how to drive the track and some of its more tricky corners with live record updates from lfsworld...

That would be a good idea, but as ATC Quicksilver says, it would take a person who is willing to make the sacrifice. You never know it might re-ignite some interest in the devs
Quote from Da Fish :That would be a good idea, but as ATC Quicksilver says, it would take a person who is willing to make the sacrifice. You never know it might re-ignite some interest in the devs

Well i would be willing to buy some of the domain names but only .co.uk as the .com seems to be taken

I could have a go at making the websites too but i am quite noobish when it comes to actually setting up synch and timings with lfsworld. Also i dont have the webspace and money currently to pay for it.

#9 - ORION
the devs could get the domains back and make a communiuty project out of it.. so vic doesnt have to do all the code work and hire a designer
It could be cool to have a t-shirt with one of those domains on it, and a drawn racey picture so it would look like some sort of promo shirt of a real circuit or race event. It could be like "24h of Blackwood GP" and then the domain and a cool sketch, dam it would look cool.
I would definitely be up for that, if we (the community) if we could make this a community project it would be great. Like I said i could have a go at making the web designs having done graphics in the past but i think we all could come together and do something towards it. There are some really good people about on the forum.

I was thinking the same as Blackout. The websites could be made very realisticly as if to represent real life tracks and events With T-shirt, hats etc promos...

[edit] i ll have a bash at throwing a template together for one of the track webbys, blackwood or kyoto and see what people think..
I thought this was going to go in the direction of rfMotors or something like that. Would have been cool. I don't think some of those actual racetrack pages have taken all that much time to put together; have a look at http://portlandraceway.com/ for example. But it would still take time that we all know is going somewhere very important. You could have club days and race schedules posted on a central hub. But LFSworld pretty much renders all this redundant.
Quote from undertech : You could have club days and race schedules posted on a central hub. But LFSworld pretty much renders all this redundant.

I know LFSWorld renders it null and void to an extent, but in a way it sort of brings things together so that if thats where you REALLY want to race, then you just look up that tracks website. In a sense it would really bring all the info for that track together in one site, with the likes of stats for length, WR's and your own PB's, but I think the main problem would be trying to get it integrated into real life, so to speak, making it more available for the layman, which in turn might (I hope) lead to more people becoming interested in LFS, just a thought really
I think its a good thought, I know that there is a vast ammount of information given to you on lfsworld but just think how rare would it be for a sim to have its own websites for each individual track. Also what we are missing are proper map layouts with corner names average speeds at certain corners etc....

btw that Portland website is poo, first impression design wise is that it has nothing to do with racing, why arent there any images of the track on the main home screen... arghgh ok there is one but id like the whole site to give a nice racetrack feel to it...
Quote from Madman_CZ :Hmm its a shame, it would be quite nice if each track had is own page on which you could find more info. Maybe even guides on how to drive the track and some of its more tricky corners with live record updates from lfsworld...

That is what was to be done with them. But likewise, such things get tanked and we have a very sparse presentation of LFS as usual
You get the feeling sometimes that there isn't a lot of promotion for LFS by the devs, it sort of seems like it runs away itself, basically spread by word of mouth and the fact that its such an enthusiastic community, but to the way that it appears to me, it seems like its just ticking along, ok the devs obviously have a lot on their hands trying to A: make the best racing sim ever, and B: pander to our needs and whims where possible!!

But maybe its something that they have in place for the future when S3 final is out, when they can afford to rest on their laurels and promote and (hopefully for them) watch the cash roll in!!!
The devs are refusing to active advertise LFS until it is "finished". Although given the current development time, it would probably make sense to do at least a little once S2 reaches final, rather than S3.
I've always wanted a kind of fictional history for each track, and it would be nice if every track had it's own website. An interview with the Blackwood guru (I've no idea who he is) wouldn't go amiss either... :gandalf:
Quote from Electrik Kar :I've always wanted a kind of fictional history for each track, and it would be nice if every track had it's own website. An interview with the Blackwood guru (I've no idea who he is) wouldn't go amiss either... :gandalf:

Blackwood Guru is like The Stig, no one knows him but sure he drives fast and I recon he lives in the forests of Blackwood.
Got any blurry photos?

Sorry, I'm in a posty mood tonight.
Not really, but he lives somewhere here in the Blackwood Island forest
Some locals have spotted him and found footprints, during the night they hear growling and there are odd lights appearing in the forest. They even found strange tyre marks around the place.
Quote from Bob Smith :The devs are refusing to active advertise LFS until it is "finished". Although given the current development time, it would probably make sense to do at least a little once S2 reaches final, rather than S3.

I agree, I think its nearly a missed opportunity not to promote LFS before S3 final, even if its going to happen at S2 final, God knows when that'll be. I just feel that promotion is a major thing, especially with so many people S2 licensed, it kind of makes a mockery of the fact that they don't want to advertise, yet they are willing to let tens of thousands of people buy licenses.

Why not use what you have and also the promise of what (and I can't wait for) might be to make it a success, and on top of that capitalise on what you have, and spread the word further!

I remember finding LFS S1 on the coverdisk of PC format a few years back, and I thought it was amazing then, and I read soooo much on the website about how there was going to be a S2, I bought S1, but unfortunately for me I never tried online, I guess it was before I realised what online gaming was really about. But even then it had amazing promise, as I'm sure a lot of you will already know, but even getting it onto a PC Format cover disk is a huge way of getting it known around the world, because Future publications have different versions of PC format all over the world, maximum exposure, I would think!!!
I'm sure LFS will get promoted once S2 gets rid of the Alpha tag. For example the biggest gaming magazine here called Pelit (found LFS because of their S1 review/story) haven't reviewed S2 because it's still Aplha, which is good they haven't. I'm sure S2 will gets it's share of attention in the gaming media once it's finished.

I wonder what happened to the shirt project the devs had, was it frozen or are they just waiting for the right moment? Like S2 final for example?

Well, PC Gamer certainly had no qualms reviewing LFS even though it is still "alpha."
They got to re-review it then, once it's done. Double coverage for LFS

www.blackwoodcircuit.com
(55 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG