The online racing simulator
'Whee-urrrrmmm'
(8 posts, started )
'Whee-urrrrmmm'
Regarding the noise my car makes when I change gear.

This is going to take a fairly imaginative use of onomatopoeia, so bear with me

When *I* change gear, the engine note just goes 'uurrrmmm *fraction of a second pause* (lower pitched)urrrrrrrrm'

However, when racing online, I noticed that the engine note of other cars goes 'uurrrmmm *fraction of a second pause* Wheeee!-(lower pitched)urrrrrrrrm'. This sound has a 'Whee!' noise in between each gear as the engine gets given a surge of revs.

I originally though this was just due to the network not being able to send enough packets a second to exactly catch the fraction of a second of the gear-change, but just now I downloaded and watched a WR replay (SO Classic in the UF1) and had a go with the 'test drive' option myself, and to my surprise found the car making exactly that noise as it changed gear.

I wasn't doing anything different at all, so I can only conclude that its something to do with the way the car was set up.

It must be a good thing to use as everyone#s car I've seen online makes that noise, but I have no idea what it is, what it does, or how to have my car do it.

I use a Logitech Driving Force Pro with 2 pedals, manual gears (obviously) and auto clutch.

Any help?
Turn off the auto throttle cut on gear change driving aid, and leave your right foot on the floor when you shift.
Have you set "throttle cut on upshift" as NO? Should be NO, except maybe FXR (gets engine damage).

EDIT: Damn, beaten
Quote from Crashgate3 :However, when racing online, I noticed that the engine note of other cars goes 'uurrrmmm *fraction of a second pause* Wheeee!-(lower pitched)urrrrrrrrm'.

He's talking about the other cars when online. Yes its a combination of lag and the fact that they other drivers aren't lifting when changing gear so the revs rise for the time it's in neutral.
Quote from Aquilifer :Have you set "throttle cut on upshift" as NO? Should be NO, except maybe FXR (gets engine damage).

EDIT: Damn, beaten

No, that is wrong. It should be off on all cars including the FXR (and others that may get engine damage). Don't learn to rely on a driver's aid to help you drive. Your foot is attached to a collection of bones called the ankle. This collection of bones allow your foot to move and rotate about. It is much like a hinge and can actually be used to lift off the throttle at any time you may like to, be it when shifting, or going into T1 when the cars ahead of you are slower than you'd like to be. Learning to use this anatomical "hinge" will prevent you from plowing straight through everyone else who may have used their "hinge" because a car is slower in front of them.
Quote from Aquilifer :Have you set "throttle cut on upshift" as NO?

That's got it, cheers.

I just had a go and finally beat 1:07 round SO Classic. I still have no idea how people get 1:04s and 1:03s. Or when I'm absolutely flat out, just manage to drive efortlessly past me. :rolleyes:
#7 - Woz
Turn off all the aids and learn when to blip and lift depending on what the car you are driving, what it needs to keep it stable and avoid engine damage etc.
@mrodgers

I don't like driver aids. However if you want to hear the "whee" sound it should be in NO position. You probably get little bit better times with that in NO position (hotlapping etc). Not realistic and definately not recommended to do in real life.

'Whee-urrrrmmm'
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG