The online racing simulator
Quote from icyocean :the new IS_PIT packet is great as it's language independent, but is it sent only when a pitstop is taking place? it would be great if there is a status info about a player's pit times like in the IS_RES packet while the race is still going, so a race monitor tool does not have to be connected to the server all the time to catch all the IS_PIT packets just to count the pit times (if the race requires mandatory pitstops this would really help the race adm). i hope this is not very hard to implement

Its ever good to read the whole thread
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=365626#post365626

EDIT: AH bad read from me sorry
by pit times i wasn't refering to the time a player spent in the pitlane, which the earlier posts were talking about, but rather how many times a player has pitted in the race, since the IS_RES packet contains this info i assume this is something the server knows
Yes you are right.
Is easy to count IS_PIT isn´t it? - but yes it would make it a bit easier. Also this could be in the IS_PIT themselv (the count of pit stops with the current included)
I dont see anything mentioned about new/different functions in the camera position system (CPP packets). Reading back my initial post I might have been unclear... By custom camera's I mean the custom camera's stuck to the car, which you normally set from within Options > View > Default driver view > Custom. It might have changed but not mentioned or maybe it is something that would only be possible to change in an incompatible version.
Insim Feature Request
Hi, could it be possible to add the player flags (the one that stores driver controller/aids like throttle help etc) into the SPX or LAP packet please.

This would unfortunately make the packet incompatible.

I use this feature extensively now to control driver aid use on my servers, I check when people join, but drivers have complained that if they turn the aids on mid-race and get caught using driver aids they are banned for a day for cheating the system, as the ultimate deterrent.

If I could detect the driver aids mid-lap then I could just spectate them and that would be much better all round.

Thank you.

*iHug - The simpler non complicated hug from Apple*
Quote from icyocean :the new IS_PIT packet is great as it's language independent, but is it sent only when a pitstop is taking place? it would be great if there is a status info about a player's [number of] pit times like in the IS_RES packet while the race is still going...

Yes IS_PIT is sent at the start of the pit stop. In a multiplayer incompatible version I should be able to add another one at the end of the pit stop, which says how long the stop was.

But that's not what you are asking... you want to know the number of stops, continually? I don't know how you could have that info continually, but I was thinking of adding the number of stops to a new packet, IS_FIN, sent immediately as soon as someone finishes (before the RES is sent). Would that be good enough? Also, I think I could add the stop number to the IS_PIT packet (i.e. 1 for the first stop, 2 for the second, etc).

There is one other way I could give it more "continually" than it is now, if I replace CName[32] in the IS_NPL and IS_LAP packets, with CName[4] the skin prefix instead of the whole name - which would be consistent with the IS_RES packet. Would anyone object to that semi-compatible change which allows some spare bytes in existing packets?
Quote from Frankmd :I dont see anything mentioned about new/different functions in the camera position system (CPP packets). Reading back my initial post I might have been unclear... By custom camera's I mean the custom camera's stuck to the car, which you normally set from within Options > View > Default driver view > Custom. It might have changed but not mentioned or maybe it is something that would only be possible to change in an incompatible version.

No, your description was clear and I have made a note of this request but I have been working on quite a few test patch things and development version things as well for the last week, I've been very busy and it gets hard to keep track of what's going on, making sure I finish things and note them all for testing.

The camera thing would confuse me more and delay the patch a while so I have decided not to look into it, and concentrate only on Race Tracking for the InSim updates in this patch.
Change to /lap command
This isn't really insim, but it would be nice if my server software could issue the /lap command without going to the end race screen.

I would like this because I set the number of laps based upon several criterea such as how many people are online. If people leave I like to shorten the races. At the moment this change can only happen by going to the end race screen which I do every 2 hours, but i'd like to be able to issue the change before sending the /restart command.

EDIT: Actually i'll do it just after restart so it takes effect the following race, that way people get some notice of the change
Quote from CLRS530 :I requested a STA package at the first MCI package I get, to have the race infos also if the race is in process. If its a race and there was a qualify before I ever wondered why I get 0 laps but 20 minutes qualifying for example. It took some time until I get that I got the information from before.
Maybe the problem could be, because I export the stats after VTA, delete it and continue with processing the next race. If there would come a MCI package after VTA wich belongs to the qualification and not to the next race I understand where the problem comes from. But that should be fixed also.
I have the problems also for the MCI package for sure.

It seems that the problem is you are using the VTA packet to decide when a start race / start qualifying / end race event occurs.

But that is the wrong thing to do. The VTA just means that a race or qualifying or end race vote (SHIFT+R, SHIFT+Q, SHIFT+X) vote is completed (or done by the host). This just means the countdown has started - it can still be terminated by the host for a few seconds.

You should use IS_RST and IS_REN instead.
Quote from Becky Rose :Change to /lap command
This isn't really insim, but it would be nice if my server software could issue the /lap command without going to the end race screen.

I would like this because I set the number of laps based upon several criterea such as how many people are online. If people leave I like to shorten the races. At the moment this change can only happen by going to the end race screen which I do every 2 hours, but i'd like to be able to issue the change before sending the /restart command.

EDIT: Actually i'll do it just after restart so it takes effect the following race, that way people get some notice of the change

I have just made it so that admins can use /laps /qual /hours and /wind even when they are in game. You will get this in V3.

You will have to use this with care, because the first 3 can change it LIVE during a race or qualifying! Now you know why I've made it admin only.

/laps and /hours - It's ok to change this any time after the winner has finished. The remaining results are not corrupted, apparently in my small amount of testing. I would suggest in your case Becky to do this after you have a IS_RES for the winner - and put out a message to warn everyone to change their fuel loads for the next race.

/qual - Can be used any time during qualifying, for example to bring an early end to qualifying.

/wind - doesn't really do anything until the next race, but does cause flags to appear or disappear.
Quote from Scawen :Yes IS_PIT is sent at the start of the pit stop. In a multiplayer incompatible version I should be able to add another one at the end of the pit stop, which says how long the stop was.

But that's not what you are asking... you want to know the number of stops, continually? I don't know how you could have that info continually, but I was thinking of adding the number of stops to a new packet, IS_FIN, sent immediately as soon as someone finishes (before the RES is sent). Would that be good enough? Also, I think I could add the stop number to the IS_PIT packet (i.e. 1 for the first stop, 2 for the second, etc).

There is one other way I could give it more "continually" than it is now, if I replace CName[32] in the IS_NPL and IS_LAP packets, with CName[4] the skin prefix instead of the whole name - which would be consistent with the IS_RES packet. Would anyone object to that semi-compatible change which allows some spare bytes in existing packets?

IMHO since the number of player's pitstops is more like a status info of the player, it's better to have it acquirable any time during the race (so if a player connects in the middle of a race, he would still be able to track this info). The compact IS_NPL packet seems a good idea
Early warning about semi-compatible packet change.
No one has yet objected to what I said in this post :

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=366808#post366808

I am suggesting a change from 32 byte car name to a 4 byte car name (skin prefix) in the NPL and LAP packets, to allow some more space while leaving it nearly compatible with existing software.

I haven't really left much time for anyone to reply but I will get on with this this afternoon, because it's InSim day for me - I don't want to spend much longer on V3...
Quote from Scawen :No one has yet objected to what I said in this post :

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=366808#post366808

I am suggesting a change from 32 byte car name to a 4 byte car name (skin prefix) in the NPL and LAP packets, to allow some more space while leaving it nearly compatible with existing software.

I haven't really left much time for anyone to reply but I will get on with this this afternoon, because it's InSim day for me - I don't want to spend much longer on V3...

If I got you right, then the skin prefix should be something that is consistent all the time the racer is connected to the host or even consistent through the whole lifetime of the account. If it's like that, then I think it would be really REALLY useful to do the change, this makes life so much easier for developers
@St4Lk3R: Now, I don't know much about InSim, but how is the car name consistent throughout a connection lifetime? How has the car anything to do with identifying a player at all? As far as I understand, Scawen wants to shorten the full car name ("RaceAbout") to the short prefix used for skins ("RAC"), thus saving a few bytes to make space for other flags in the packet.

Sorry if I'm talking complete rubbish here, your answer just seemed odd to me
Quote :No one has yet objected to what I said in this post :

tbh Scawen it would be better to use the short/skin prefix name anyway... It's actually something of a pig to convert them to short names when making an insim application (the userbase uses the skin prefix/short names ), but for those of us who use this value then our programs will need adaption so this isn't what i'd call compatible, although for my part i'm happy to make the changes. It will also mean 1 less task to do on future insim programs .

EDIT: Tripple hug-tastic on the /lap command change Scawen, thank you lots .
Quote from Becky Rose :Insim Feature Request
Hi, could it be possible to add the player flags (the one that stores driver controller/aids like throttle help etc) into the SPX or LAP packet please.

This would unfortunately make the packet incompatible.

I use this feature extensively now to control driver aid use on my servers, I check when people join, but drivers have complained that if they turn the aids on mid-race and get caught using driver aids they are banned for a day for cheating the system, as the ultimate deterrent.

If I could detect the driver aids mid-lap then I could just spectate them and that would be much better all round.

Thank you.

*iHug - The simpler non complicated hug from Apple*

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but can't the equivalent be achieved by sending an NPL InSimPack as a response to every SPX, or atleast every LAP, packet received from LFS? Of course, I've only started looking at InSim recently, so I could be missing something important.

\malex\
I'm late to the party in posting this, and I'm not a developer, but I thought it would be relevant anyway.

I'd like to see a setting that shows what kind of transmission and clutch each user is using.

auto = 0
sequential = 1
shifter = 2

auto clutch = 0
button clutch = 1
axis clutch = 2

This would allow people to have the "hardcore" races that so many of us have asked for as we could eliminate people using auto clutch or sequential shifter when everyone else in the field is using axis clutch and h-shift. I'm hoping to put together a "G25 Cup" one of these days, and can't do it until I have a way to tell what controls are being used.

edit: Of course, it would be a lot easier for server admins to have these settings in the server itself, but if we at least had the info in InSim, someone could program an app for the server themselves.
*thumbs up for adding h-shifter to the player flags*

Quote :can't the equivalent be achieved by sending an NPL InSimPack as a response to every SPX

Thank you, I will look into this - you may have spotted something I *should* have, but didn't .
EDIT: I've had a quick glance and it seems NPL is the player join packet, as far as I knew - and I may be wrong - it is not possible to request this packet. You get sent it when a player joins. Am I missing something?
Quote from AndroidXP :@St4Lk3R: Now, I don't know much about InSim, but how is the car name consistent throughout a connection lifetime? How has the car anything to do with identifying a player at all? As far as I understand, Scawen wants to shorten the full car name ("RaceAbout") to the short prefix used for skins ("RAC"), thus saving a few bytes to make space for other flags in the packet.

Sorry if I'm talking complete rubbish here, your answer just seemed odd to me

May really be that my answer IS complete rubbish. I just do not know what is meant by the term "skin prefix" so I guessed it's a unique prefix for every user. If I am mistaken, please correct me
Quote from Becky Rose :*thumbs up for adding h-shifter to the player flags*

Thank you, I will look into this - you may have spotted something I *should* have, but didn't .
EDIT: I've had a quick glance and it seems NPL is the player join packet, as far as I knew - and I may be wrong - it is not possible to request this packet. You get sent it when a player joins. Am I missing something?

Line 692 of my InSim.txt says you can request it. In the manager I'm writing, I also request them when I connect to LFS, to get the current state.

\malex\
Sorry Scawen didn´t notice your post.
From my site you could do that because its nealy the same but really not compatible because someone could compare the name.
For me and or better for the site of my tool would there be some work to do.
But for what do you want to use the space?
My software is already adapted to work with both the current carname and the change .
EDIT: Nearly finished adding all the new funky V3 features too - I just have no idea if they work ! lol

@malex2 - thank you
Quote from CLRS530 :Sorry Scawen didn´t notice your post.
From my site you could do that because its nealy the same but really not compatible because someone could compare the name.
For me and or better for the site of my tool would there be some work to do.
But for what do you want to use the space?

In IS_NPL I hope to add SkinName[16] and TyreCompound[4].
In IS_LAP I hope to add NumberOfPitStops[1] and PlayerFlags[2].

Nothing's definite until I have a look (the same goes for the shifter thing - I don't know what info is available and I'm too tired to look this evening).

Quote from Becky Rose :My software is already adapted to work with both the current carname and the change .
EDIT: Nearly finished adding all the new funky V3 features too - I just have no idea if they work ! lol

Just watch out when you see the new InSim.txt because some of the new packets from the last InSim.txt might change in size. For example I plan to make the new IS_PIT packet 4 bytes bigger so there is a Tyre Compound for each wheel.
Quote from St4Lk3R :If I got you right, then the skin prefix should be something that is consistent all the time the racer is connected to the host or even consistent through the whole lifetime of the account. If it's like that, then I think it would be really REALLY useful to do the change, this makes life so much easier for developers

No, as someone said the Skin Prefix is simply the short name for a car, e.g. XRT instead of XR GT TURBO

You do have something consistent and unique for the racer - the LFS user name (UName) is 100% unique and can't change. That is easiest when you run a host for licensed users. If you make a program to watch a demo host then you must use PName instead of UName - but yes that can change while the racer is connected - there is a notification though.

I was discussing this with Victor to understand the difficulty people have. I think InSim developers at first imagine managing a single list, with a unique identifier. They want something unique that applies to racers, as if a racer had a unique identifier the same as his connection. But that's not possible as some racers on a connection may be an AI. Also, a "player" can swap between connections, when you take over.

The only possible solution and what everyone must do for it to work correctly and mirror LFS, is manage two lists :

1) List of Connections, unique by UName (preferably) or PName
2) List of Players in Race (linked to a connection, and identified by UniqueID)
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG