The online racing simulator
Audio Only
(35 posts, started )
Audio Only
I'm working on a project for my car. Right now, I have an old PC running LFS in the car and putting the sounds out to four PA speakers mounted under the chassis - to make my Subaru Wagon sound like an F1 car... :P Just a silly project.

Anyway, its REALLY a pain because I have to load the program each time I want to do this which is slow on that PC. Has anyone made or CAN anyone make, an app that takes the input from one joystick axis and play the different car sounds without running the full game? Or is that a ridiculous question (I think it is...)
Quote from Stang70Fastback :to make my Subaru Wagon sound like an F1 car... :P Just a silly project.

:riceboy:
This must be the silliest idea ever (not the changing car sound thing, but running LFS and getting the sounds from there).
Lol
Yea, well. This game takes up few resources and the sounds are OK with sound mods... but yea - its a crazy idea.
I had the same idea but always was too lazy to try it out.

Did you connect your throttle pedal to a joystick or how do you do it?

If it works I would love to see a video :-)
Details
GODDAMMIT. I just typed up like a page-long description of what I did, and then accidentally hit the backspace key. Suffice it to say I'm not typing that all up again. The project is kind-of done, but not quite. When it is (hopefully within a week), I promise I'll make a video and explain what I did. But yea, a simple joystick to control the throttle. Right now the stuff is laying in the car. I may mount it near the gas pedal tho - dunno yet.

BY THE WAY: Has anyone seen anywhere, a cheap, small, slider mechanism that I could use as a single-axis control for the throttle? So far I just have a huge joystick in the car.
Wow! You really should post where you are located at so we can possibly see you out on the street with that thing!

Er, no, actually so we can call the local authorities. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of someone doing to rice up their car!
Well... SORRY
Yea, well I'm sorry for annoying you with my idea. Actually, the original intent for this was not to put car sound effects through it, but to use for other things... but if you wanna be an ass about it, yea - it is stupid if it's sole purpose is to "rice" a car, but that's not what I'm doing...

...plus when you only have $100 to spend, there's not really much else you CAN do. If you aren't interested, don't bother posting a comment. I just want help - not criticism.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :GODDAMMIT. I just typed up like a page-long description of what I did, and then accidentally hit the backspace key. Suffice it to say I'm not typing that all up again.

Next time you do that - try Ctrl+Z (undo)

Back O/T (crazy car mod btw)
So your running a PC with a licenced version of LFS in your car to get the BF1 sound? Have you looked at CSR for LFS ?
Deggis help guide : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=311949#post311949

It produces all the LFS car sounds (and they sound much gruntier and better to imo). You dont even need LFS on your PC to run it. You can run it in edit mode and play with the the Revs sliders to make the sounds of the cars. You wont even have throttle lag because you can slide the REVS left and right to any position in an instant.
It comes with FZR + BF1 already installed - but you can download other sound packs for other cars. Its about 60Mb and doesnt require LFS running when using EDIT mode. You do need the Visual Basic 6.0 Run-time files - not a big deal.

The only problem I can see is making the joystick control "stick": to the revs test bar in the editor of CSR. Its a mouse slider function so you might need to convert Joystick output to mouse movement... Use Joytokey app. for that. Or hook up your mouse inputs to your gas peddle Either way you wont have to fire up LFS and choose tracks/cars and mess around.

As a bonus you could even play with the editor in CSR - add your own samples or even adjust the whole frequency phase to match your own cars engine's sound frequencies!

But now your almost done - I doubt you will remodel it for another app. You probably want to use LFS so you can say you did it with LFS I'm guessing anyways.

For the slider - just get a cheap/unused joystick and take it to bits to get the parts you want. Remember you need the wiring and electronics to interface back to the computer, use the parts in the old controller. THat would be better than trying to build your own USB/Joystick interface.

Good luck - dont drive past my house in a BF1 at 4am,.. okay?
Thanks
Thanks a lot for your help. I found CSR a few days ago, but didn't realize I didn't need the game running to use it! There is no "remodeling" necessary, I just have the PC and amp tucked under the passenger seat. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

And I think I've been a bit misleading. This is not to show off with. This is just for fun with my friends - who are all aware of the project - and maybe just to do in front of some ppl at my school to see if they actually believe it or not. Other than that, I'm not planning on pickin up chicks this way, or showing off at red lights. It's strictly a "could it be done" project.

Again, thanks for your help!

BTW: I tried ctrl+z, but to no avail
lol it sounds like me and my PA, a few times i dub some turbo BOV sounds from my PA when leaving school to see if anyone notices hah
(keep in mind i drive my dad's old car, a '95 GMC jimmy.. hey you can fool some of them right )

i had this same idea when my sister had her jeep grand wagoneer to do this same thing with F1 engine sounds but.. yea that was pretty dumb lol
LMAO what a random idea. Love it. God knows how you'd make it work lol but I'd like to see it in action.
amusing, very very amusing. I concidered something similar as a joke, borrowing a system from wolfpack audio, running a cable from a laptop to make it look like the laptop is hooked up to the engine, and running the daylights out of a GTR engine
Comin along...
Well, I got my amp today, so I'm finally gonna start putting things together when I have time...
Dear God I'd love to see this become reality, just for the sheer hilarity's sake. This thread reminds me of the one a week back when some dude bought a riced up hatchback or something and posted it here - and got slightly different reaction to what he must've expected.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I'm working on a project for my car. Right now, I have an old PC running LFS in the car and putting the sounds out to four PA speakers mounted under the chassis - to make my Subaru Wagon sound like an F1 car... :P Just a silly project.

Where do you live?

I'd like to know so I can drop by your junior high and kick you really hard in the jewels. Can't let you reproduce; sorry mate.

Here is an idea: take this enthusiasm you have for absurd ideas and apply it to something that might actually be neat. Build an ECU and learn about fuel injection. Build an exhaust and learn about welding. Build a cool bonfire in the woods and get laid. FFS.
Quote from skiingman :

Here is an idea: take this enthusiasm you have for absurd ideas and apply it to something that might actually be neat. Build an ECU and learn about fuel injection. Build an exhaust and learn about welding. Build a cool bonfire in the woods and get laid. FFS.

I'd just like to say how much I admire you - donating your sense of humour to someone who could actually use it must have been a tough decision.
Quote from nihil :I'd just like to say how much I admire you - donating your sense of humour to someone who could actually use it must have been a tough decision.

There seems to be a general lack of humour and lack of understanding sarcasm in the US
Strange idea...Each to his own...

Please tell me you are NOT doing this to your 'Stang
Quote from ATHome :There seems to be a general lack of humour and lack of understanding sarcasm in the US

Their seems to be a rice-phobie in the US

I don't like these "pimped-up" rides too, but his project is obvisiously just for fun
Quote from nihil :I'd just like to say how much I admire you - donating your sense of humour to someone who could actually use it must have been a tough decision.

This implies that you find a Subaru emitting LFS sounds funny. I guess it would be funny if didn't live in a country where dumbasses already drive around with outrageously loud fake blowoff valve sounds emanating from their plastic fantasies.
Quote :
Their seems to be a rice-phobie in the US

I take dumbasses doing stupid things to their daily drivers pretty seriously. They endanger my hobby by creating public pressure for legislation to curtail automotive modification. Here in the US we currently enjoy almost unlimited freedom to modify our automobiles without government interference.

In the US, any student like myself can afford to build something like my 280whp turbocharged Mazda and legally register, inspect, and insure it. Dumb twats with speakers blaring noise from the undercarriage of Mom's Subaru endanger all of that.
Sorry - I really didn't realise that there was so much at stake.

Hey, do you think if we added spoilers to all the guns, your government would step in and stop you shooting each other?
I think some a you people must be experienceing some sort of Male form of PMS or something.
Man, I think the idea is cool as hell. It would would be fun to have something like that to annoy those stupid gangbangers and drown out the BOOM BOOM Tejano crap blaring from their POS cars around here.

Once we ran Unreal Tournament thru my guitar amp. That was fun, totally freaked out the neighbors
What I want is one a them train horns they sell. That would be even better to deal with those ass holes. Either that or a mega system blaring out the Carpenters or Bette Midler - no I'm not a masochist - a train horn

Anyways keep us posted as to how it finally works out

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Yeah, wire up your real throttle to your game throttle, so you can gun that mother at the lights
um.... riiiight...
Quote :I take dumbasses doing stupid things to their daily drivers pretty seriously. They endanger my hobby by creating public pressure for legislation to curtail automotive modification. Here in the US we currently enjoy almost unlimited freedom to modify our automobiles without government interference. In the US, any student like myself can afford to build something like my 280whp turbocharged Mazda and legally register, inspect, and insure it. Dumb twats with speakers blaring noise from the undercarriage of Mom's Subaru endanger all of that.

It's MY Subaru.

See, the trouble with what you said is quite simple. People like you, who can afford to do all this to your cars, are the ones who get the rest of US in trouble. You don't seem to realize that the whole point of this project is to ridicule those of you that do that, and then feel compelled to show off your handywork to the rest of us by overly revving the engine every time you need to move your car 10 ****ING feet. I have no problem with actually upgrading a car for performance sake, but I do have a problem with people who do that for OTHER PEOPLES' SAKE, which is the whole motivation behind this project. And yes, I understand that you don't do that - or so it would seem from your post.

Additionally, even if I HAD the money, there is no way I would put anything into a car with over 190,000 miles, that just had a head gasket job, leaks oil all over the place, makes strange noises all the time, and has a center diff that is shot - which forced me to run a wire from the fuse box in the engine compartment to a switch by the seat which engages FWD (which is only for dealer use when testing certain settings) for when I make sharp turns, or I risk tearing my wheels straight off their rims.

I don't know who you are, but you have a lot of nerve, and absolutely no sense of humor to just ASSUME that I am going to use this to make an ass of myself. I'm assuming that's because you think I'm going to do the same thing YOU do, just fake. Maybe you can't stand the idea that someone can put $100 into a car and get the same stares and ooohs and ahhhhs that you had to spend $10,000 in order to get. I don't really know.

I will not hesitate to say that I am the best driver in my school (of over 3000 students) I have not gotten a single ticket, I have not gotten into a single accident, and I have NEVER gone above 80 mph aside from ONE instance where I hit 95 racing with a friend on an EMPTY highway.

I'm pretty certain that however much of a good driver you are, having a car like that has led to your driving in a more reckless manner than I. That's not your fault at all. If I had a car like that, I'd certainly try it out one day on the highway or something. But the fact remains that you have probably done much more the endanger the freedoms we have been given than I ever have.

I was just remarking the other day to a friend, how annoying it is that stupid people go out in snowy weather not knowing a ****ING thing about how to drive in adverse conditions. THEY get into accidents, and, as a result, the rest of us, who could easily get by, are now forced to take a detour because the "road is too dangerous." Why do police close off flooded roads? Because they know that some moron in a Ford Focus is going to try and ford the 8 inches of water and stall his vehicle and float away. And that sucks for the rest of us with Subaru Outbacks and Hummers and pickups who can't even take advantage of the features of our car that were most appealing to us when we bought them because some moron ruined it for the rest of us.

I understand exactly what you are talking about when you say that others are ruining the driving experience for the rest of us, but I am dead LAST on that list, so stop assuming that just because I'm doing something you don't think is neat, that I must be a moron... because all that does is prove that YOU are.

Quote :Here is an idea: take this enthusiasm you have for absurd ideas and apply it to something that might actually be neat. Build an ECU and learn about fuel injection. Build an exhaust and learn about welding. Build a cool bonfire in the woods and get laid. FFS.

My enthusiasm for "absurd ideas" has earned me a reputation with many of my teachers for creating some of the most unusual and successful solutions to many challenges in my engineering and mechanics classes. It has also earned me a SCHOOLWIDE reputation for creating the most amazing PowerPoints you could possibly imagine. My knack for "absurd ideas" is what has led me to become one of the more outstanding students in my class.
Unfortunately I don't want to learn about welding, or building an ECU. My plans are to use my "absurd ideas" to earn me a job creating concept cars for a major manufacturer. Maybe one day, my "absurd idea" will be given the green light, in which case I will personally come to your door and offer you a job welding mufflers onto my new model lineup.

I only posted this question to get help; in no way did I ask for your opinions. If you truly feel that strongly against what I am doing, I would be more than happy to discuss it with you anytime. My AIM SN is Stang70Fastback

Audio Only
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG