The online racing simulator
Ethernet Cable Instead of Wireless Card
Hi,

Since we have moved to Sky Broadband we have been sufering problems on my computer which is wireless. So ive been asking around and was told that try an Ethernet cable because wireless lags to much. I have seen on tv that Sky has had 2nd worst complaints, because its always off and on and slow. But most of the time its fast but i wouldnt recommend it. So i was thinking would a Ethernet cable improve the signal and i wouldnt lag and loose connection as much?

Please Help,

Dmwright
Wireless normally operates at only 10mb/s - which is the same as a normal 10/100 nic connection. I dont suffer because my broad band is only 2 mb/s but it does lag....

I used to be wireless, and found it laggy as you describe. Now I run an ehternet cable and gain the maximum benefit so usefull my full broadband capacity - however - where I gain is on my lan - I can run upto 125 mb/s when transferring files or info.

I only now run wireless when I move my pc to areas where I can use the ethernet - ie when visitors come and I have to vacate my pc room.

Go for the ethernet if you can.

Just to point out tho - have you read the threads on loosing connection to the master server, currently there is a lot of people suffering with this issue - but its only seems to be temporary while BT sorts out its excahnges. Might be worth reading the threads and seeing if thats where your problem lies.
I've had no problems using wireless. In fact, I host the server that I run from my laptop over 802.11n. I can host a dozen drivers, use teamspeak, etc. with no problems. If you've got a decent connection to the base station there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to play using wireless just fine. That said, wired is a better choice if you have the option.
Wireless is a lossy medium by nature. Wired links developed to the point where errors are minimal (especially optimal fiber), though the twisted-pair copper in typical Ethernet cables that form the local loop aren't really very high quality, but it is still orders of magnitude more reliable than wireless media (air). Unfortunately, the TCP/IP stacks most folks are currently using on the internet (that would be TCP New Reno) are tuned for wired links, and so some of the TCP congestion control mechanisms (like slow-start threshold, exponential backoff) lead to suboptimal throughput. The conclusion: wired links give more optimal throughput (for now).
Hi,

Thanks for all your reply and ill try the edernet. Ill firstly look through the forum about the loosing connection threads.

Just one more question

Sky broardband have been rated one of the worst company for internet because of loosing connection could this be one of the problems?

Thanks again

Dmwright
If the problem your having is with the ISP and your connection from your house to the ISP is a wire (I don't know of any ISP's that provide home service wirelessly), then changing the way your computer connects to the router in your house will not change anything.

However, if the problem has to do with some kind of wireless interference in your house, then using a wired LAN will fix it.
Wireless connections typically have a higher latency than ethernet, regardless of speed. This is fine for surfing, but bad for gaming.

Wireless connections also are far more prone to dropping packets. This is also bad for gaming.

A well set up wireless network with no interference in theory can play games fine - just like walking through a minefield only hurts if you step on the wrong bit.
#8 - Davo
You can usually spot the people on wireless as they're the ones warping around everywhere. Once minute beside you next second 10m infront.
#9 - garph
When I used XP to operate my wireless I had regular lag, just a little blink every couple of minutes but it was enough to totally mess things up.

Then I switched to the software that came with my wireless card and BOOM, no lag at all.

Quote from Davo :You can usually spot the people on wireless as they're the ones warping around everywhere. Once minute beside you next second 10m infront.

That’s a bit of a generalisation, there about a million more reason why someone is laggin before you get to it being the wireless.

p.s. All this is amssuming it is wireless that is the problem. It could just be a crappy connection.
Quote from Davo :You can usually spot the people on wireless as they're the ones warping around everywhere. Once minute beside you next second 10m infront.

Thats the people that are running their P2P alongside LFS

Wireless can be affected by so many things that use the same freqency its crazy to think that gaming will not be problematic at some time or another, however poor patch cables or structured wiring can have their faults aswell

DmWright ; I think your problem probably falls at the door of your ISP (sky) but using a wired link will let you rule out one thing and may help to some degree.
Do sky supply a router? if so check its firmware is up to date and all the settings are correct (MTU WEP ect) it could be your neighbour is stealing your bandwith

who else in your house uses the conn? sibling P2P'er?

Good luck.

SD.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from Forbin :I don't know of any ISP's that provide home service wirelessly

Central Suffolk Broadband - provided broadband to areas where BT wouldn't via antennas on rural churches, £30 a month for a 512k connection with terible packet loss, was with them (my dad signed an 18 month contract and then 2 months later BT arrived with 2 mbit connections for £25!) and they were crap
Quote from Widdowmaker :Wireless normally operates at only 10mb/s - which is the same as a normal 10/100 nic connection. I dont suffer because my broad band is only 2 mb/s but it does lag....

actually, it depends on what standard you are using.

802.11a max speed is 54mb/s
802.11b max speed is 11mb/s
802.11g max speed is 54mb/s (a couple wireless manufactures have equipment that doubles this speed to 108mb/s)
802.11n max speed is 540mb/s

but, all of those are most likely faster than your connection coming into your home. lag across your wireless network should be negligible (1-3ms) if everything is working correctly, so if you are having any issues, it is most likely from the ISP.
Yeah, my wireless connection is currently connected at.....shit, 24mbps! But it's normally maxed out on the 802.11g mode at 54mbps and my broadband connection is about 3mbps so there is no wireless bottle neck.
#14 - Jakg
The further away you are, the slower it gets.

Its not the speed that makes wireless rubbish, its the packetloss
Quote from Becky Rose :A well set up wireless network with no interference in theory can play games fine - just like walking through a minefield only hurts if you step on the wrong bit.

Is the right answer

I used to run a wireless network and it was fine, untill some other bugger tried using the connection too.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG