The online racing simulator
Enough Power?
(21 posts, started )
Enough Power?
well, i want to build a second pc with my old computer parts.
point is that my "old" Powersupply is still in use...
so i gotta use an even older one.
the best ive got is 200 W.
the question is...will it be enough?

pc will have:

AMD Duron 1600
Radeon 9200 SE
CD Drive
a 80 GIG HD
a Floppy.

enough? or not? if not, how much id need?
#2 - Dru
a quick google says that the graphics card is recommended to have 250W that said i do not know what the minimum would be....
No problem at all, that system will never use more than ~80W of DC power. The graphics card will probably use less than 10W. You're fine!
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :well, i want to build a second pc with my old computer parts.
point is that my "old" Powersupply is still in use...
so i gotta use an even older one.
the best ive got is 200 W.
the question is...will it be enough?

pc will have:

AMD Duron 1600
Radeon 9200 SE
CD Drive
a 80 GIG HD
a Floppy.

enough? or not? if not, how much id need?

200 W is a little low for that. If it's not an A-mark (A-brand?) it's even less then the 200 W it says it has.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :No problem at all, that system will never use more than ~80W of DC power. The graphics card will probably use less than 10W. You're fine!

Quote from marzman :200 W is a little low for that. If it's not an A-mark (A-brand?) it's even less then the 200 W it says it has.

hmm, what should i think now?
both dutch too doesnt make it easier!
and no, its not a brand, its something cheap.
some powersupply from an "old" office pc.

the other question is, when it should really be too weak what happens? can my hardware take damage? or does the PSU just die?
#6 - Davo
You'll be fine, those parts were made back when 250W PSUs were great. A weak PSU will probably just cause problems with crashing etc.
It'll be fine, I have a 250W PSU in my spare system (Athlon 3000, GF 6600GT, 80GB HD). The worst it'll do if you somehow overload it, is just cause Windows to crash, or the computer to suddenly turn itself off.
Yeah I would say even if it IS a very cheap brand, it should still easily deliver stable enough power. Very basic components there, they don't ask for much.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld : Very basic components there, they don't ask for much.

yea i know.
guess why i upgraded
but they did (and still do) a great job for their price, gave me around 25 fps with a full multiplayer grip (well, crappy graphics ).
actually i wont use this pc for my own, its for a friend.
for him its a HUGE (hehe) upgrade.
his current "pc" has 230 MHZ (overclocked from 166) 64 mb ram (not bad for that thing) and a 4 mb graphics card.
this pc will be for him like driving a hayabusa after driving scooter.

anyway, i hope it will work out well enough, im still in need of a pc case (?).
well......today i finally installed the whole system, which took me all day long cuz of the old pc case in which the motherboard didnt fit in. so i had to make it work...but thats not my point.

now i have a problem what i dont quite understand.
ive installed everything needed, but when i start the pc i hear (and see the fans reving up) the pc starting.
but....i dont get any picture? i mean, the monitor doesnt go on.
which it should.
so far....the whole hardware was in my current pc until i upgraded and hasnt been used again since that, so i really doubt something of it is broken.
as already described, i have a pretty weak PSU in there, could it be the possible reason that it doesnt work?
i mean the whole thing is starting, fans start to run, HD spins up and all but no reaction on my monitor.
just in case i tried my radeon 9600 pro (which got replaced before 2 weeks so no way its broken) but same result.
any ideas what could be the possible reason?
really annoys me,, i get 50 bucks for that thing (if it ever will work...)
any help appreciated.
Does it beep at all? Beeps can often solve all your problems
Quote from Leifde :Does it beep at all? Beeps can often solve all your problems

nah it doesnt, but i guess the speaker is broken as its an old crappy thing.
I had similar problem long time ago, and the problem was that I hadn't fit the graphics card firmly into the AGP slot. Check this out, it has a clip at one end that clips onto the card to keep it steady.

Oh, and you have plugged the cable of the monitor onto the VGA right?

Another thought is to remove the battery of the MOBO for some time to reset the BIOS setting to their defaults.

Also at the config you posted you don't mention any memory dimms. If you have more than one on remove them and try one at a time. Also make sure you have put them in the correct slots.

If all that fails remove the mobo from the tower and check if any part of it has contact with the box so you have any sort of short circuit. Or even better take apart the whole thing and assemble it again.
Quote from KMSpeed :I had similar problem long time ago, and the problem was that I hadn't fit the graphics card firmly into the AGP slot. Check this out, it has a clip at one end that clips onto the card to keep it steady.

Oh, and you have plugged the cable of the monitor onto the VGA right?

Another thought is to remove the battery of the MOBO for some time to reset the BIOS setting to their defaults.

Also at the config you posted you don't mention any memory dimms. If you have more than one on remove them and try one at a time. Also make sure you have put them in the correct slots.

If all that fails remove the mobo from the tower and check if any part of it has contact with the box so you have any sort of short circuit. Or even better take apart the whole thing and assemble it again.

yea so far ive done all that and everything is right.....
will try the thing with the battery, dont think it helps much but oh well lol.
I would not only remove the bios battery, but replace it with a new one.
eh...i doubt the battery is dead, as the MOBO is only like 3 yaers old.
also even if it would be dead i should get a screen, no?
just tried, put the battery back in after few hours, also did place the ram in different slots and all, but nothing works....
if somebody has an idea would be cool, if not i gotta wait for my friend come by and check it
Just in case it is the PSU after all, did you try to use a more powerful one?
(I suggest removing the one from your big PC and use it there just for testing)
Quote from KMSpeed :Just in case it is the PSU after all, did you try to use a more powerful one?
(I suggest removing the one from your big PC and use it there just for testing)

err, i dont have another one, and im not in the mood to take the one out of my pc because id need to take of 2 fans, cpu ect. would be lotta work
im pretty helpless atm, ill just wait for my friend to come by and then ill see
just updating this thread, got the pc running.
the problem was i installed a network card which caused the computer not to start (dont ask me why dunno), dont need it anyway as i have lan on board which i forgot when building that pc.
all cleared that thing is running

Enough Power?
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG