The online racing simulator
More Smoke
(40 posts, started )
More Smoke
I dont know if this was requested before ... if it was , dont nag about it.... But i think there should be more SMOKE in game instead of using SMOKE mod because SMOKE mod = lag.When i say more SMOKE , i mean more of it. And to wear its in a realistic type of way. EXAMPLE= if im drifting and in a drift (when my car is side ways) im mashing the gas extremely hard i wanna see a tone of SMOKE behind me not every thing looking clear in the review mirror. EXAMPLE 2= in other real life situations were SMOKE would come out, it should be more of it because right now its just not.... lol
yes, been suggested for a long time now

finally (recently) we've gotten more smoke than we've had in the past

the downside though, is that it still works the same way, and that is by alpha layers in the form of sprites

the upside to the current system however (besides its fairly unrealistic look and way it works) is that its easy on FPS, unlike games that do produce realistic looking smoke which will easily destroy FPS

imo the whole smoke system needs to be reworked, because in S2 now, when tires are to hot they begin letting out smoke for some reason and it looks like the tires on fire
I think LFS need no more smoke. Simply, more realystic smoke.
Find the memory value for maximum particles? I doubt the particle system has changed much since SmokeMod. You say things like "more smoke but not with lag like SmokeMOD"... If you want more smoke, and less lag from smoke, GET A BETTER COMPUTER!
rofl ohhhhhh. and yes i do need new pc i have 10 fps and my pc is 6 years old
Sometimes I do think it needs more smoke. Say, if you watch this video of Drifting of the Touge, the car's tires start smoking heavily straight away. Where as on LFS, the tires need to be warmed up alot before maximum smoke can be gotten out of them. Also, If you want more realistic smoke try Kegetys smoke textures. Alot more realistic than the standard ones. Another thing I noticed is that in real life the smoke is alot more dense, in LFS it isn't dense enough, as in you can still see through it quite alot. Looking at Berseker_d's Avatar for example, from what looks like an XRT super-imposed image onto a real car, the smoke from the rear tires is so dense, you can't see through it. This doesn't really happen on LFS. It would be good if a Dev could read this, and take the time to watch the video. To perhaps make a racing simulation, just that little more realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D7I9Ru3gYo

Aha, while i'm at it I might aswell plug for a track like the one on the video. *Dreams*
I do think more smoke is needed, not just for the dorifto but for realism. If you look at race cars if they lock and inside wheel going into a corner, smoke comes of the tyre instantly and if its a long lock up quite alot of smoke which doesnt happen in lfs so much. If this smoke was inscreased it would also increase it for the drifters. But before any arguemnets happen lol, look at it purely from a realistic point of view.

But yes all been discussed before.

Edit found a nice picture
Attached images
formula1-1.jpg
Exactly what I think should happen Greboth. It adds realism, so why not?
Quote from mcintyrej :Exactly what I think should happen Greboth. It adds realism, so why not?

Because making realistic looking smoke is no easy task. And the smoke we've got is perfectly visible.
#10 - wark
I smell like smoke after a race or drift exhibition IRL. LFS needs smell over IP!
Quote from wark :I smell like smoke after a race or drift exhibition IRL. LFS needs smell over IP!

ye, they should make like a black box, wich recives signals from the game and releases the smoke smell... of corse the box contains alot of diffrent smells...
More smoke, why not?

But if you're drifting and you look in the rear view mirror, wouldn't it be clear anyway? Because I thought the smoke would be out of the side windows
Smoke like in Nascar Racing season 2003 looks better than LFS smoke and works better, no big fps hit unless the whole track area is covered in smoke.

Trans Am scr 1 & scr 2.
Quote from Moonclaw :Smoke like in Nascar Racing season 2003 looks better than LFS smoke and works better, no big fps hit unless the whole track area is covered in smoke.

Trans Am scr 1 & scr 2.

on the other hand it's "static" smoke, i.e. not affected by wind or anything. RBR does a pretty good job, but that's on dirt stages, so not really the thing we're looking for. World Racing had some nice looking smoke too, but somehow the way of it was emitted didn't feel right to me...
I have yet to see a game with a convincing smoke-engine, and I sure hope it'll be LFS
I think smoke should come quicker/easier than it does now before we get more of it. For example when following someone karting and they lock the rears you usually get two trails of smoke coming out, even if the tyres were only locked for a tiny amount of time. In LFS you don't really get smoke from locked tyres
Download Kegety's smoke texture, they make the smoke look better and somewhat larger.
I think more smoke should be implemented, but they should also work on how it gets emitted!. for example, in a drift or a burnout or whatever, smoke gets emitted from the entire wheel and not just the base of it!
i think that takes more CPU ^^^^
GPL has pretty good smoke, like Nascar 2003, and it really isn't hard at all on my computer; its 4x as much, and about 1/4th the hit on my computer probably if not less
#21 - wark
Quote from herki :on the other hand it's "static" smoke, i.e. not affected by wind or anything.

It is affected by wind.
Quote from Moonclaw :It is affected by wind.

It is? I never noticed that
I'll still stick with RBR's smoke, which looks great to me
Even though this thread is quite old, I'm going to bump it. I was playing LFS the other day and there was a wreck ahead of me. Cars were sliding sideways but there was virtually no smoke at all from the locked tires. This really detracted from the immersion of the game because instead of thinking "where can I cleanly get through" I was thinking "why can I see so well"?

I think three things need to be addressed:

1) The tires need to produce a LOT more smoke, when under the proper conditions. When a car locks up coming into the corner, smoke should be pouring off the tire, as it does in real life.

2) The smoke needs to stay around a lot longer. Even with wind turned off, smoke disappears after a few seconds. In real life tire smoke hangs around, even with cars driving through it at over 100mph, and even if it's fairly windy.

3) The behavior needs changed so that smoke is not produced when it shouldn't be. For instance, if I lock my tire going into a corner, every time that section of tire touches the ground a small puff of smoke comes off. It needs to be coded so that if the tire is turning at the same (or very nearly the same) speed as the pavement is going underneath, no smoke is generated.

I think it's important to address the last issue first, since otherwise you'll get a lot of smoke when you should have none (where as right now you get a little smoke when you should have none, and a little smoke when you should have a lot).
Quote from Cue-Ball :
3) The behavior needs changed so that smoke is not produced when it shouldn't be. For instance, if I lock my tire going into a corner, every time that section of tire touches the ground a small puff of smoke comes off. It needs to be coded so that if the tire is turning at the same (or very nearly the same) speed as the pavement is going underneath, no smoke is generated.

It's already been agreed upon, but it's been put off due to the computing power required to do it, IIRC. The best option is to stop asking.

I'd also like to point out that your point #3 is completely wrong. The angle of the tire in relation to the motion of the car has no effect on the amount of smoke that comes off. The amount of smoke created is determined by the force being exerted downwards on the tire during the lock up, the surface area of the tire being dragged across the track, and the speed at which the tire is being dragged across the track.
In short, an increase in friction/resistance means an increase in smoke created by the skidding tire.

Did you pass physics class?

More Smoke
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG