The online racing simulator
Daytona 500
(42 posts, started )
Daytona 500
Daytona 500 is tomorrow....so who is going to win everyone....post your favourite driver and who you think is going to win!

I think Dale Jr., Tony Stewart, David gilliliand or Jeff Gordon will win...tel me what you think!
Pfffffft... nascar. :sleep1:
oh come on
Why do you even ask? You know Stewart is gonna win!

kthxbye
And prepare the flame suits now if this topic is continued. You know the majority here is very vocal about hating Nascar, LOL.

Anyways, yea I agree. It will be Tony. It's all hype now anyways, Nascar the sanctioning league doesn't allow any racing anymore in Nascar the racing series.
All I hope is that a Toyota wins.

/me puts on flame suit
Does Montoya drive in Nascar now? If so, my answer is "not Montoya".
Quote from thisnameistaken :Does Montoya drive in Nascar now? If so, my answer is "not Montoya".

He does, in car #42 (A Chip Ganassi Dodge).
Quote from LFSn00b :What's the difference between NASCAR and BTCC?

NASCAR is in the US, they race on ovals, they have cars with 5.7L V8 engines, 4 speed gearboxes and bear no relation to road cars.

BTCC is in the UK, they race on road courses and (like most other national touring car championships) have 2L cars with 4, 5 or 6 cylinder engines, 5 or 6 speed gearboxes and bear some relation to road cars.
Quote from duke_toaster :NASCAR is in the US, they race on ovals, they have cars with 5.7L V8 engines, 4 speed gearboxes and bear no relation to road cars.

BTCC is in the UK, they race on road courses and (like most other national touring car championships) have 2L cars with 4, 5 or 6 cylinder engines, 5 or 6 speed gearboxes and bear some relation to road cars.

There are a couple of non-oval tracks in Nascar, such as watkins glen, so although the majority are ovals they're not *all* ovals, they can do "twisty" tracks.

American cars do have big capacity, V6-V8 engines and the cars are all based on road cars, like the Toyotas are based on the Camry (I believe). Nascar gearboxes are standard H-gate, BTCC are sequential. Both make the cars into race cars, and while BTCC cars bear a relationship to the road car I don't think I'd be able to buy one for anything like the road car.

BTCC cars race on racetracks, not road courses. Road racing is something different - look up the Isle of Man TT races or the NorthWest 200. They're Road Racing, which is racing on real roads. Both Nascar and BTCC race on racetracks.
#10 - DeKo
is daytona 500 on any normal UK tv channel? I.E something that isnt sky, although freeview is acceptable.
Turn Left! Now make another left! Alright, good job, lap 1 finished. Turn Left! Now makeanother Left! Alright, good job, lap 2 finished

Fast forward to lap 20

Turn Left into the pit stop! Now turn Right To get out of the Pit stop!

HOLY COW, THAT RIGHT TURN WAS EXCITING!

I dont get how nascar is amusing. It literaly is just cars going around a big oval a bunch of times. Even better, 500 laps?
Quote from DeKo :is daytona 500 on any normal UK tv channel? I.E something that isnt sky, although freeview is acceptable.

Highlights are on at some time of the middle of the night on Channel 5, between the other real sports (such as ice hockey, basketball, other bits of racing,American football ... various other rag-tag bits and bobs that they can find) that don't involve 22 overpaid nancy boys (with 4 people aiding and abetting them) kicking a bag of wind around a field.

Unfortunatly their is some of that as well, but that at least isn't in the UK.

EDIT : Tuesday morning, 01:50 to 02:40.

Quote from SketcHyRollin564 :<snip>

There are other factors such as tactics, setup and so-on. Restrictor plate racing also includes social dynamics and is a multi-way prisoner's dilemma (there's an article on that somewhere) and it's great fun seeing the fights that sometimes occur at Bristol. I only tape the plate races and Bristol. And it's 200 laps of a 4.02 (that's 2.5 miles for luddites/grannies/Americans) track - 500 miles.
Quote from Christofire :There are a couple of non-oval tracks in Nascar, such as watkins glen, so although the majority are ovals they're not *all* ovals, they can do "twisty" tracks.

I know about Sears and the Glen - maybe some time NASCAR would add some more road courses rather than those 1.5mi tracks

Quote :American cars do have big capacity, V6-V8 engines and the cars are all based on road cars, like the Toyotas are based on the Camry (I believe). Nascar gearboxes are standard H-gate, BTCC are sequential. Both make the cars into race cars, and while BTCC cars bear a relationship to the road car I don't think I'd be able to buy one for anything like the road car. [QUOTE]

They only have to look like them - and with the COT you could quite feasably get a (say) Dodge, and make it a Toyota in a week and no-one would ever notice.

[QUOTE]BTCC cars race on racetracks, not road courses. Road racing is something different - look up the Isle of Man TT races or the NorthWest 200. They're Road Racing, which is racing on real roads. Both Nascar and BTCC race on racetracks.

Don't get me started about the motorcycle road racing not being shown in England - maybe use the bandwi dth being wasted on kiddywinko channels and BBC parliament for something people actually want to watch :chairs: :sadbanana :arge: :mad: :grumpy: :splat: illepall
The NASCAR Busch series races in Mexico IIRC, and as of this year, in Montreal too. (haha Quebec, you guys got stuck with NASCAR! :P Us Ontarians got ALMS! Nyah nyah!)

@Christofire: "Road course" is the common term for a non oval/trioval track, such as Watkins Glen, Mosport, etc. Road Courses are racetracks, yes. Isle of Man is a "street course." It is public roads closed down for racing, also a racetrack, albeit only for a few days a year.
NASCARS are scratch built, thats the biggest difference compared to Touring cars. I used to enjoy NASCAR, but since most all of the old school stock car racers left it lost its appeal.

Whats to enjoy in watching cars go round in a circle? They cover a greater distance (Petit LeMans notwithstanding) at a higher speed, and often overtake and get overtaken more than once on a lap (unlike F1 where overtaking a car is a big deal). Crashing is to be expected, especially at the 1/2 mile tracks and Talladega. The cars often touch and nudge each other, and on the restrictor plate races they bump-draft up at 200mph. Sometimes there's a punch up in the pits (sometimes between whole pit crews). Often the drivers talk to the commentators while they're driving. In car cameras (usually 10 in each car) get up close and personal and you can get real time telemetry data with it (which I love). Aaand so on ...
Quote from JamesK :NASCARS

Please, don't says 'NASCARS.' There is no such thing as 'a NASCAR.' They are called "Stock Cars." NASCAR is the sanctioning body.

Stupid little thing, but it really erks me
Quote from MAGGOT :Please, don't says 'NASCARS.' There is no such thing as 'a NASCAR.' They are called "Stock Cars." NASCAR is the sanctioning body.

Also, bear in mind that NASCAR rather stupidly use 2 sets of technical regulations. Instead of this COT business, they should have just dropped Cup engines in Busch cars with adding some bigger wings.
ok then, Stock cars, but you have to go right down to the NASCAR bullring series such as 'sport compact' etc until you get non-scratchbuilt cars competing.

Thats a point, LFS could use a 1/4 mile dirt bullring/oval ... and a BRiSCA F1 style car
Quote from MAGGOT :Please, don't says 'NASCARS.' There is no such thing as 'a NASCAR.' They are called "Stock Cars." NASCAR is the sanctioning body.

Why do they call them Stock Cars, if they arent stock?
The used to be stock, back when NASCAR first started (Back in the 40s I believe). The series has just evolved since then, along with safety n such.
Last time they resembled something stock was around 1987-1988. Then GM came out with the W bodies and changed everything.
Poor stewart dirty kyle
well.. kevin won it, which.. i must say that was one of the best drafts i have ever seen (long too) he passed what, 3 rows? thats impressive

nevertheless... quality final lap aye? haha
bloody heck it was! i cant believe the ending though. i wanted martin to win that. oh well. butimust say that was a great draft for the win. Not an oval racer but for some reason the past few days i've just been well into it

Daytona 500
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG