The online racing simulator
Is anyone else seriously disturbed by this?
(26 posts, started )
http://www.my-trevis.de/

After clicking that link (I followed a different link showing what each car was based off of) that shows what the UFR is based off of. I'm truly frightened.
That's the UFR Brokeback edition.
I wonder what customers are targeted with this product. I mean the dancing cowboy and such. The perfect new car for a cowboy? I don't think so...
It's clearly being marketed to women. Marketers think that draping a scantily-clad woman over a car makes it more appealing to men and they've clearly tried to use the same gimmick in reverse in an attempt to appeal to their female target audience. Does it work? Well, my wife thinks it's a silly ad and thinks the dancing cowboy is annoying; then again, she also hates the car and doesn't fall into the frilly Euro-urbanite demographic they're probably targeting.
Quote from prodeg :http://www.my-trevis.de/

After clicking that link (I followed a different link showing what each car was based off of) that shows what the UFR is based off of. I'm truly frightened.

Yeah gotta agree that is damn scary! Topless dancing cowboys with a Daihatsu... I think its marketed for women and/or gay men.

Very disturbing though :eek:
That freaked me out, seriously T__T
#7 - Jakg
Only in Germany...

#8 - ajp71
LOL after seeing that ad... I wonder if the car has a special compartment for gerbils?
#11 - JTbo
Hmm, ad would not work to 99.999% of girls/womans I know of, actually only know one that might like from that ad, but as she is quite not typical I would say that such commercial will flop, however when you think you can understand woman, you just don't understand truth
What's disturbing about a topless cowboy? It's more silly than anything else imho. Like JTbo, most of the women I know would also find that rather silly - but then most of the women I know are over 25 anyway. It just seems like Daihatsu are going for the girl market.

If you're a man and are "disturbed" by that, could it be because it makes you have certain "feelings" that make you uncomfortable?

Quote from Racer Y :LOL after seeing that ad... I wonder if the car has a special compartment for gerbils?

I keep mine in the sunglasses compartment in the roof.
Quote from Hankstar : What's disturbing about a topless cowboy?

the fact that marketing has reached a new level of stupidity in thinking this might actually work
I am very disturbed by this:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /var/www/web9/html/publicore/class.dbfunc.php on line 31
Database error: Link-ID == false, connect failed
MySQL Error: 0 ()
Session halted.

lol, does anyone else get that from the link?
Quote from Shotglass :the fact that marketing has reached a new level of stupidity in thinking this might actually work

LOL you give them way too much credit mate Marketing (especially car advertising) hasn't reached a new level of anything for quite some time.

This is the oldest trick in the book: sex sells, so give your target audience an attractive stereotype to associate with the product you're trying to push. I think it's the first chapter of "Marketing For Dummies" Car makers (or, rather, their advertising firms) have been draping hot girls in varying stages of undress over cars and bikes for decades to appeal to men (who are the principle buyers of new cars and bikes) - this is just a reversal of that tried and tested method, as the car (or at least the commercial) is clearly aimed at women. Or at men who like small cars and/or cowboys

Hell, if you're "disturbed" or even "frightened" by some stupid dancing cowboy with no shirt (like the OP), I'd hate to see what you do when a mouse runs into the kitchen
Quote from Hankstar :sex sells

yeah ... boobs not moobs ... i highly doubt sex sells will work on the majority of women

Quote :is clearly aimed at women.

which i think is stupid ... but i dont think theres nearly enough women around here to get a reasonably correct estimate of how well its will work

Quote :Or at men who like small cars and/or cowboys

im sure the two of them will cover the advertising costs
so marlboro country is in the european inner city gay districts these days huh ?
I don't see why sexy advertising doesn't or shouldn't work on women. They buy stuff too, and they can be just as superficial and primitive as we can Why should us men be the only ones who get to gawk at attractive members of the opposite sex when we look through a catalogue or watch a commercial?

I also don't see how aiming an ad at women is stupid! They're 50% of your potential customer base, so why wouldn't you tailor commercials towards them? I'm really confused about your point of view here

So you think gay men and men who like small cars are going to be the only ones buying this cute little Daihatsu? Would you buy one? Would you have bought a Sirion or a Handi? If I was Mr Daihatsu I would be pitching this car at young women first - and their fathers second

I'm not sure about your last question as I'm not in Europe - maybe you can go out and do some research on it
Quote from Hankstar :I don't see why sexy advertising doesn't or shouldn't work on women. They buy stuff too, and they can be just as superficial and primitive as we can Why should us men be the only ones who get to gawk at attractive members of the opposite sex when we look through a catalogue or watch a commercial?

my expierence with women simply tells me the opposite ... they dont appear to be nearly as susceptible to flesh in ads as men

Quote :I also don't see how aiming an ad at women is stupid! They're 50% of your potential customer base, so why wouldn't you tailor commercials towards them? I'm really confused about your point of view here

aiming an ad at women is of course not stupid ... aiming a half naked cowboy at them is very stupid however

Quote :So you think gay men and men who like small cars are going to be the only ones buying this cute little Daihatsu?

of course not ... but theyre probably the majority of people to whom this ad appeals ... and with them being in the minority its wasted money

Quote :I'm not sure about your last question as I'm not in Europe - maybe you can go out and do some research on it

tristan and kev seem infinetly more qualified for this kind of research than me
You still haven't explained exactly what, in your opinion, is so stupid about a topless cowboy. Anyway, I guess we'll see what lady buyers say on their feedback forms at the Daihatsu dealer...

"Did the dancing semi-nude cowboy influence you at all when choosing to buy the oddly-named Trevis? Please choose one of the following: No[] Not much[] A bit[] Lots[] Wouldn't have bought the car without the cowboy[] ZOMFG I want his BABIES!!!1[]"

As for tristan & kev, well ... I'll have to take your word for that, won't I?
I dunno, the background music should've been different.
Should have used, "I Wanna Be a Cowboy" for the music.
It would've fit.

In the U.S. they generally don't use sex to sell cars to women. They actually
show the practical side of the car to them like gas mileage, passenger room and whatever airbags it has.
They save the silicone bimbo, the stereo and how fast it goes from 0-60 for the men.... you know the REAL important stuff about getting a new car

When they use sex in ads aimed at women, it's usually for chocolate, diet foods and credit cards.

You know if they were going to target that car for women. it should be for victims of domestic violence...
"With the 2007 dihatsu, you can get all your effects and load them with ease into the spacious cargo area, giving you more time to get away before he gets back from the bar". "And at 50mpg, that's far, far away!"
"So get a dihatsu today. It could save you life".

Gerbils in the sunglasses area.... caught that did you?

I wanna be cowboy I WANNA be a COW BOY.... Yippee Yippe eye Yippe eye kye aye.... perfect song for that damned commercial....
I think what is most stupid about the whole thing is not so much the fact that they are using a semi naked dude in a cowboy hat and tight jeans, but in the way he is dancing....

I mean seriously, if that dude were to go to a club and start dancing like that anywhere near any other blokes, he would have his ass handed to him. If he were to do it near any women, they'd probably just assume him gay.

I've seen little girls in tutus dance in a more manly fashion.
Quote from Anarchi-H :I mean seriously, if that dude were to go to a club and start dancing like that anywhere near any other blokes, he would have his ass handed to him.

In some nightclubs that might be a good thing ...
Quote from Hankstar :You still haven't explained exactly what, in your opinion, is so stupid about a topless cowboy.

as ive said i dont think the large majority of women is susceptible to this form of sex sells which in turn means its advertising money wasted

Quote :As for tristan & kev, well ... I'll have to take your word for that, won't I?

go with bobs words who broke out in tears when he told me how trist tried to feel him up during the karting meet
wtf

You guys lost me about 5 posts ago

Quote from Hankstar :
If you're a man and are "disturbed" by that, could it be because it makes you have certain "feelings" that make you uncomfortable?

Im a Guy
im disturbed
I dont have feelings, apart from the kind that make me want to stab the moniter :jawdrop:

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG