The online racing simulator
Overclocking a Athlon 64 3200+
(10 posts, started )
Hi,

Does anyone know of any good sites where i can find overclocking information for an Athlon 64 3200+ S 757

Unsure of what exact model it is (Newcastle venice) but im intrested in seeing what this computer can do, but only have a stock power.

If someone can help me, ill give exact specs of PSU, CPU and im also intrested in overclocking graphics card (ATI Radeon 9250 SE 256 MB)

Cheers and hope to hear from someone soon,

Marsden1002
Use CPU-Z (previously CPUID) to get the information about the processor.

Usually you overclock in a laborious mixture of reboot to bios, change, test, repeat. These days some motherboards have built in controls to do it from Windows. Most of the newer Abit ones for example.

With regards to overclocking the GFX card, I believe there are "hacked" versions of the ATI drivers available where you can increase voltages and clockspeeds (I know there are nvidia ones for sure).

Just remember - be very careful, and make sure you have a good heatsink and good airflow through your system. Overclocking can very easily damage your system.
IIRC the Omega drivers (even though they bosst the ati by 15-20 frames itself) have integrated overclocking tools.
hi. if the card you have is the same one i got, then I don't recommend overclocking it. The 9250 I have doesn't have a fan, just a really big heatsink.

If you overclock that particular card, the heatsink might not be able to get rid of the heat fast enough, and you'll get slower performance. And to be honest. even though I doubt the card could hold up while trying to play something like doom 3, it should work plenty good for LFS S-2. And come to think about it, your specs shouldn't even almost require overclocking on anything to play LFS.

Overclocking, within reason, doesn't really harm your stuff. Heck you'll replace most of it due to it being obsolete way before the effects of overclocking start happening. just why go thru all the hassle if you don't need to?
Yes, card has a very big heat sink only. Wanted to try some overclocking, but wont do now. Ill wait untill i get a new pc, and make sure i have all the right equipment ie big enough fans

Cheers guys,
#7 - BATOR
i have a AMD64 3200 Clawhammer and a X800XT PE and was considering the OC route myself , but you have to ask yourself is the risk and cost of replacement parts enough to justify a minimal increase in speed and the life expectancy of your parts is reduced considerably . Fot myself the answer was no
#8 - ORION
With a good cooling you dont have to worry about burning your hardware, as you can always have a look at the temperatures. The real problem is instability.
Never overclock passively cooled hardware btw.
#9 - M.Mos
Quote from BATOR :i have a AMD64 3200 Clawhammer and a X800XT PE and was considering the OC route myself , but you have to ask yourself is the risk and cost of replacement parts enough to justify a minimal increase in speed and the life expectancy of your parts is reduced considerably . Fot myself the answer was no

Thers always a type of cpu witch is perfect to OC. In most cases its the slowes cpu of a series. For example AMD 64 3000+, 120,- Euro , 1800Mhz.
Nearly all of them run with 2250Mhz at stock vcore which virtually turns them into a 3600+ worth about 250,- Euro. Thats not a minimal increase in speed. Without doubt you shorting the lifespan of a cpu by OC'ing it. But in the 3000+ example if you have a good cpu cooler the cpu temp is lower OC'ed then it is with the stock cooler at stock frequency.And i dont need a lifespan of ten years or stuff.
Quote from M.Mos :Thers always a type of cpu witch is perfect to OC. In most cases its the slowes cpu of a series. For example AMD 64 3000+, 120,- Euro , 1800Mhz.

I'll second that. My 3000+ Venice is running at 2430mhz with a AC Freezer 64, same temps as stock cooler & stock frequency

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG