The online racing simulator
Preset the view setting and the gearbox
Hi all

I have started here a discussion about presetting on the server (as a feature) the view and the gearbox.

Please don't talk about whether the option makes sense to you and your computer because that just don't matter in the discussion if the FEATURE could be implemented and whether it would enrich the game or not.

Keep in mind, that LfS is still in a growth phase, so every little feature that enrich the game and cost nearly nothing to implement it, is a good and not a bad thing

[I'm not a very good english speaker/writer, so please don't be affected if my wording sounds rude to you...I not intend to be rude ]
If you see it like this, I have to agree. I am always for more options
? you made a 2nd thread for this?
Quote from XCNuse :? you made a 2nd thread for this?

First I asked the community in the general section whether this feature exists. The answer was no. So I create a thread in this section because it's not a general discussion anymore...

So what's your problem?
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here: I'd love to see this option. The more control the server has over this kind of stuff, the better. I'd like to see driving views, reset car, jump to pits, etc. all able to be limited by the server.

I think that allowing each view separately would work better than just making a "cockpit only" option. That way a server admin could allow cockpit and wheels view, but disallow all the others (unless spectating).
I'm actually for implementing every single one of those features except FCV. And if they had Lo-Res cockpits, I'd be fine with that too. But I'd love to see cars having to drive to the pits, cars being permanantly damaged, no join after spectate, forced manual trans. I do see your point with the forced cockpit view, and I agree with it, but I also like to see LFS being accessible to pretty much everyone. But hey, if you want to run a server for LFS, more power too you, you're giving up your money and bandwidth so we can play:up:
And I'll definately be joining
i have to agree with GTS here now; its not that i disliked the idea or hated it.. i just find it unfair for some people

i mean.. heck, the best times in LFS are being done buy a guy with a keyboard! which is akward yes.. but really, this has been a good suggestion, and surely has been captured by the minds of league owners, team owners, etc. but i feel as though that many of the team owners know that not everyone on their team has "fast computers" and so that could be a problem for them

so.. MORE OPTIONS! and a way to get rid of the tires to show from fully closed in cars because i can tell you right now that thats alot of stuff moving around and surely will give us about 5 FPS atleast

i mean its a good idea, i just fear that all server owners will turn this on (but maybe not)
i feel as though if you drive one way.. you shouldnt be discriminated against everyone else since you do something a different way (not always because you have the options to do so, but because your required to at times)
maybe/maybenot, this is really a confusing topic because we all here know that not everyone has speed demon computers.. and that would leave them out of races, and thats no fun when you only have a few people racing
Quote from 96 GTS :I'm actually for implementing every single one of those features except FCV. And if they had Lo-Res cockpits, I'd be fine with that too. But I'd love to see cars having to drive to the pits, cars being permanantly damaged, no join after spectate, forced manual trans. I do see your point with the forced cockpit view, and I agree with it, but I also like to see LFS being accessible to pretty much everyone. But hey, if you want to run a server for LFS, more power too you, you're giving up your money and bandwidth so we can play:up:
And I'll definately be joining

If the devs can fix the frame rate issue with the cockpit, this should be a non-issue. If the only reason for NOT wanting forced cockpit mode is the fact that it is slower than wheels only, then the core problem needs to be addressed: The fact that wheels-only view is so much faster than cockpit view, even though it shows more polygons.
nonono.. wheels only view has only wheels and the track; incar view has wheels.. and the track, so if the devs can get it so that YOUR wheels are not being shown, then the inside view will be much much faster
Quote from Cue-Ball :If the devs can fix the frame rate issue with the cockpit, this should be a non-issue. If the only reason for NOT wanting forced cockpit mode is the fact that it is slower than wheels only, then the core problem needs to be addressed: The fact that wheels-only view is so much faster than cockpit view, even though it shows more polygons.

Maybe the devs could implement a low res cockpit mode - But why should people have to suffer putting there graphics on very low, just to race in the cockpit view. I support your manual / auto view, but think the cockpit view is a little unfair, not just because of the hardware problems for some people, but some people have different driving styles, and why should they have to change to race on some servers (i know about the "fairness" your trying to create)
Quote from marsden1002 :Maybe the devs could implement a low res cockpit mode - But why should people have to suffer putting there graphics on very low, just to race in the cockpit view. I support your manual / auto view, but think the cockpit view is a little unfair, not just because of the hardware problems for some people, but some people have different driving styles, and why should they have to change to race on some servers (i know about the "fairness" your trying to create)

What I'm saying is that if the cockpit view were just as fast as the wheels-only view, there would be no "unfairness due to hardware problems" in the first place. There's no need for a low res cockpit. The devs just need to get the current cockpit mode so that it doesn't cause such a frame rate hit. I don't believe it has anything to do with texture resolution or polygon count of the cockpits. I think that the game is rendering the wheels in cockpit mode, even though you can't see them.

In other words, if the wheels-only view and the cockpit view gave the same FPS, this would not be an issue at all.

Quote from XCNuse :nonono.. wheels only view has only wheels and the track; incar view has wheels.. and the track, so if the devs can get it so that YOUR wheels are not being shown, then the inside view will be much much faster

Yes, I'm agreeing with you on this point. I don't know this for a fact, but judging by the frame rates that the game can display in both modes, it appears as though it's doing the calculations for the wheel graphics, even in cockpit mode where you can't see them.
okay well.. guess i was wrong; it used to in S1, but looking now at LFS in wireframe, and the wheels arent there so..
lol that explains why FPS was lower in S1
I never really noticed LOL. I built a brand new computer for S2, so I've never played S1 on my new comp, or S2 on the old, so I have no idea how the framerate compares LOL.
Thanks for this good discussion!

Nearby, I didn't talked about an option which makes it only possible to force the cockpit-view, I wished an option for every view. GTS has pointed my view out. Thats what I dream about.
Quote from marsden1002 :...but think the cockpit view is a little unfair, not just because of the hardware problems for some people, but some people have different driving styles, and why should they have to change to race on some servers (i know about the "fairness" your trying to create)

The answer is simple: Just because I want that. Perhabs I (or someone else) would like to create a closed server, so you even can't join this server. I think we have to accept, that not everyone want a race who everyone can do what he wants. Some of us would like to have more given rules (the view, the gear, the pit stop, the damage, and and and), so we need more server setting. That don't brakes LfS down, rather it would enricht the game because the diversity is higher. In reverse you should allow to everyone to enable the ABS-System or the anti-slip control because perhabs someone has another driving style....

In addition to my remarks, because it can make the game more realistic. It's just not realistic to drive with the behind view, it's not realitic to re-join in the race after a total crash. You don't have to implement this as a default, that's not what I'm want. I wish on the server side to have the option to preset such things, so I can decide how realistic how specified the race should be. Nothing else.
Yes i agree with some of it, but thats all im going to say.

Also, i do have a pc fast enough to run LFS on max, and i do drive behind the wheel in the cockpit view, just defending some other people who may not have the hardware to do this
Quote from The Devil Is A Squirrel :The answer is simple: Just because I want that. Perhabs I (or someone else) would like to create a closed server, so you even can't join this server. I think we have to accept, that not everyone want a race who everyone can do what he wants. Some of us would like to have more given rules (the view, the gear, the pit stop, the damage, and and and), so we need more server setting. That don't brakes LfS down, rather it would enricht the game because the diversity is higher. In reverse you should allow to everyone to enable the ABS-System or the anti-slip control because perhabs someone has another driving style....

In addition to my remarks, because it can make the game more realistic. It's just not realistic to drive with the behind view, it's not realitic to re-join in the race after a total crash. You don't have to implement this as a default, that's not what I'm want. I wish on the server side to have the option to preset such things, so I can decide how realistic how specified the race should be. Nothing else.

If these options were implemented on a private server, it would be just ideal, which I think is what you were planning to do, but heck, I'd love to see stuff like permanant damage on a few public servers, it's totally unrealistic to smash into a wall at 200 km/h, hit one button, be instantly transported to the pits, and have a brand new car.
Quote from 96 GTS :If these options were implemented on a private server, it would be just ideal, which I think is what you were planning to do, but heck, I'd love to see stuff like permanant damage on a few public servers, it's totally unrealistic to smash into a wall at 200 km/h, hit one button, be instantly transported to the pits, and have a brand new car.

Yeah. What's about with different servers? some which are realistic and some which are more like arcade...? Just an idea...
Yep, that's what I'd like to see, and to an extent, that's what we already have. You've got the banger servers for just good old wrecking fun, and you've got more serious servers for serious racing. It would be fun to see some ultra-hardcore realistic servers out there, for people like Tristian :P Anyway, I'm 100% supportive of this idea

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG