The online racing simulator
Witty, funny, daft and inspiring thread!
(18 posts, started )
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=333575#post333575

Sooooo... err...

Discussion about OT itself? I like it in here, lots of wise and dumbass threads with mixed opinions and viewpoints.

Since we're still waiting for the next incompatible patch since April 2006 (correct?) the usual topics conserning LFS has been pretty much discussed to death already, so I'd say OT is a good place to keep your posting skillz sharp.

Or something. Somebody please say something witty, funny, daft or inpisiring stuff so this (mucho importante!) thread doesn't die before reaching page 2.

Or four preferably. But I'll settle for two.

EDIT: And no posting pics of famous actors! :mad:
Ontology. Discuss.
#3 - (SaM)
Yesterday, I've watched an incredibly interesting documentary about quantum physics.

Here's a couple for ya:
I am the universe, you are the universe, the whole universe is one.
I am everywhere, but my decision or thought to be here makes it seem I am here.
You never really touch objects.

That's a sniff of Quantum Physics.
Quote from Forbin :Ontology. Discuss.

Ontologies appear to be the most promising solution to the AI problem, but the sheer scope of them practically precludes their use. The 20Q AI seems to have a pretty tidy ontology behind it, but it's suffering from bogus contributors.
#5 - JTbo
Everything I write is interesting, inspiring and funny, so let's just decide that only I can start new threads and you are good to go. Or maybe better not to

Just two words? Not going to happen, there is nothing funny in two words, I mean you can't really put them to shape of funny famous actor either

Well here goes for four:

Helicopter made of lava.
Quote from (SaM) :Yesterday, I've watched an incredibly interesting documentary about quantum physics.

Here's a couple for ya:
I am the universe, you are the universe, the whole universe is one.
I am everywhere, but my decision or thought to be here makes it seem I am here.
You never really touch objects.

That's a sniff of Quantum Physics.

I think Neils Bohr famously said that if you understand Quatum Physics then you have failed to understand Quatum Physics . . .

Did you know that if an Atom was the size of a Football stadium then the Electrons would be circling the carpark (Although again, circuling is very basic teminolgy and completly fails to accuratly describe what Electrons actually do as they orbit a Nucleus. Not that anyone actually understands what an electron does with it's time, if it even has any, they just guess.) and the Nucleus would be the size of a Pea in the centre circle. Thats an incredable amount of space. That we are all made up out of. We are all just space. We are more empty space than we are matter. And then that whole entanglement thing. Which goes some way to prove that information and not light is the fastest thing in the known universe. And you can't even hold the speed of light as a constant anymore. They can actually bring light to a stand still inside some sort of super cooled BEC thing (BEC is a Bose-Einstien condensate and is said to be one of the many forms that matter can take next to solid, liquid, gas, plasma and all sorts of others. BEC's only occur at super cooled temperatures, fractions of degrees from absolute zero, which is pretty damn cold.) And super cooling is another fascitating thing. Did you know that a BEC will actually physically try to excape it's container to try and return to a 'normal' state. Quite literally lifting lids. Amazing stuff. And the more I try and understand any of this and how this amazing universe fits together with us in it the less I think I want to know.

It's like . . .way cool.
Quote from Funnybear :I think Neils Bohr famously said that if you understand Quatum Physics then you have failed to understand Quatum Physics . . .

Looks like he famously typo'd too.

/me picks fluff from bellybutton
sure... make fun of the maimed...

sorry allison

Quote from spankmeyer :
And no posting pics of famous actors!

:haha:
Quote from Funnybear :Which goes some way to prove that information and not light is the fastest thing in the known universe.

actually its a well known fact that bad news are indeed the fastets traveling entity in the universe

and since you brought up information i as someone who has (had to) studied information theory feel obliged to copy and paste whats probably the best and shortest explanation of what information is

Information

The other thing coding theorists are concerned with is information. Nothing else is like information. Information is very peculiar stuff. It can both be created and destroyed. You can steal it without removing it. You can often get some just by guessing. Yet it can have great value. It can be bought and sold.
One type of information is called Money.
There are people who refuse to concede that money can be created and destroyed. They spend their entire lives altering records and making adjustments to ensure that every time a bit of money leaves some place, an equal bit seems to appear somewhere else. These people are called accountants.
Quote from Shotglass :actually its a well known fact that bad news are indeed the fastets traveling entity in the universe

I think the dark is right up there too . . . you know, whereever light goes it always finds the dark has got there first . . .
This light speed stuff has actually made this one of the more interesting topics floating around this forum right now. Wikipedia is working overtime for me right now
Quote from Funnybear :... what Electrons actually do as they orbit a Nucleus. Not that anyone actually understands what an electron does with its time, if it even has any, they just guess. . .

In general it is difficult to understand quantum phenomena. One of the simplest experiments, the double-slit is a proof of this. In Optics, almost everybody understands the scenario. But try to understand what happens with a single photon.
Here goes my contribution: a single photon is going through both slits and creating interference with itself. Of course this is dizzy statement, what actually happens is that everything in Quantum Mechanics is described with probability density functions (wave functions).
So I said "Do you want a game of Darts?", he said "OK then", I said
Nearest to bull starts". He said "Baa", I said "Moo", he said "You're
closest".
Quote from Funnybear :I think the dark is right up there too . . . you know, whereever light goes it always finds the dark has got there first . . .

I spy another Pratchett reader
Cretan liar
I have one thing you surely (said in a sarcastic voice) want to discuss ...

You know the "Cretan liar paradox"? The great Cretan philosopher Epimenides said someting like "All Cretans are liars".

So how can this be? If all Cretans lie, the statement cannot be true because Epimenides was Cretan (and then Cretans would not be liars and that contradicts Epimenides being a Cretan). Or if Cretans do not lie and the statement is true. But the statement just said that all Cretans are liars... :nut:

So think about it, but not too much... I read someone got nuts after thinking it too much.
Quote from Aquilifer :So think about it, but not too much... I read someone got nuts after thinking it too much.

Jack Bauer made a time machine and kicked his ass. Problem solved.

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG