The online racing simulator
Preset the view and the gearbox
(28 posts, started )
Preset the view and the gearbox
Hi all

Is it possible to preset the view (ex. cockpit) and the gearbox (manuell or automatic) for all drivers? I didn't found this option yet...

Thanks for feedback!
You mean to set the server up like this? Don't know if it is possible, but as cockpit-view and MANUAL transmission is the way most LfS Drivers drive anyway, I doubt that many would notice.... except for the lack of TV cams in spectator view.

EDIT: I never ever said "auto" instead of manual, and anyone stating something else is a LIAR!
Yeah, but I will force it.
Quote from The Devil Is A Squirrel :Yeah, but I will force it.

That ain't nice... When I think of switzerland, I think of chocolate and money. Not of server-dictators :P
Quote from ColeusRattus :...auto transmission is the way most LfS Drivers drive anyway

WHAT???
this would be new for me
Maybe he meant autoclutch .
Quote from ColeusRattus :That ain't nice... When I think of switzerland, I think of chocolate and money. Not of server-dictators :P

The money is gone and chocolate is an export product ^^.

Back to topic: It's not a dictate because it makes sure, that everyone drives in the same way...same conditions to everyone..
There was a rather lengthy discussion about a forced cockpit view back at RSC, and I don't think it was ever implemented. Even though I drive in the cockpit with a manual, I don't think it's fair to force someone to drive in a way they're not familiar with.
Quote from The Devil Is A Squirrel :Yeah, but I will force it.

And how do you intend to do that?
Quote from Rumiko :And how do you intend to do that?

Server setting. Nothing special. It's a standard feature...
Quote from 96 GTS :There was a rather lengthy discussion about a forced cockpit view back at RSC, and I don't think it was ever implemented. Even though I drive in the cockpit with a manual, I don't think it's fair to force someone to drive in a way they're not familiar with.

That's your opinion. I think this feature does not hurt anyone...
Quote from The Devil Is A Squirrel :That's your opinion. I think this feature does not hurt anyone...

Well, actually, it does. People who don't have very good computers can't run cockpit view at any sort of decent framerate, although the wheels view works fine. A forced cockpit view would be unfair to them.
Quote from 96 GTS :Well, actually, it does. People who don't have very good computers can't run cockpit view at any sort of decent framerate, although the wheels view works fine. A forced cockpit view would be unfair to them.

That's no argument. With my 24" wide-display I can see more than many others.
hmm, if you force views on a public server, those who don't like will not join... Not making much sense apart you're making a league (I know that the ESL UK is using right hand drive for example).
Public races are more like free "fun" races where you look for equal drivers you can have hard and fair races with. who cares about the helps they are using?

3j
Quote from three_jump :hmm, if you force views on a public server, those who don't like will not join... Not making much sense apart you're making a league (I know that the ESL UK is using right hand drive for example).
Public races are more like free "fun" races where you look for equal drivers you can have hard and fair races with. who cares about the helps they are using?

3j

Yeah, I agree, but I didn't talked explicit about public servers...so where is the problem? Some like this some not, everyone have the choice to join or even not.
I think that being able to force cockpit view and no aids would be a great addition to the game, personally. However; it's not supported right now so perhaps this thread should be moved to "Improvement Suggestions"?
Quote from The Devil Is A Squirrel :Server setting. Nothing special. It's a standard feature...

Since when? I never heard about this feature being actualy implemented.
Quote from 96 GTS :People who don't have very good computers can't run cockpit view at any sort of decent framerate

Quote from The Devil Is A Squirrel : That's no argument. With my 24" wide-display I can see more than many others.

.. thats you.. GTS is talking about everyone ELSE.. back in S1, i practically had to run tire view during races with many people, or else i would crash everyone at start because my FPS would drop to about 5..

and it is to an argument, just because you have a huge monitor (not that that has any affect of FPS) doesnt mean someone has a slow computer..
Quote from Rumiko :Since when? I never heard about this feature being actualy implemented.

LFS doesn't have this option, but I think some other racing games do.
Thanks, XC. Let me clarify a bit. My computer has MORE than enough power to run cockpit view with a full grid at the start, but I remember trying to run LFS on my old computer, I could barely get 25FPS on a clear track in the wheels view with everything turned down. And I do drive with a manual, but some people because of certian situations can't. Forcing cockpit view and manual transmission wouldn't hurt me in the slightest, but I don't think people should be barred from a server just because of something like their financial situation, it just doesn't sit right with me.
Quote from 96 GTS :Well, actually, it does. People who don't have very good computers can't run cockpit view at any sort of decent framerate, although the wheels view works fine. A forced cockpit view would be unfair to them.

I drive in wheels view because of frame rate. It's not that it would be unfair to me to force me into cockpit view. It would be unfair to everyone else because with all the stuttering and controller lag, I would be wiping the field out at the start probably with minimal damage as it would be me spinning you all and I would win. Hehehe. Yes as it has been said here, I think there are many who use the wheels view because of frame rate. But please don't start another thread or poll about what view you use. It's been done many times before. Just as this "forced cockpit" discussion has been done many times.
#22 - Gunn
I think some of you are missing his point. He wants to set limitations to create fair and equal conditions on his server. This is the "racing environment" he wishes to create so that all of his competitors are on an even keel in respect to gearbox and view. It is quite irrelevant if we think it is unfair or a bad idea for a public server, or unfair for slow PCs, or contrary to the way we like to race. If a person hosts a server with a set of conditions or rules; he has put those conditions in place to prevent certain actions. For people to disagree with these conditions is fruitless, the conditions are there precisely for the reason of attracting only certain racers.

If his server had a setting that forced cockpit view then only racers who agree with that condition will race on that server. Mission accomplished.
Quote from Gunn :I think some of you are missing his point. He wants to set limitations to create fair and equal conditions on his server. This is the "racing environment" he wishes to create so that all of his competitors are on an even keel in respect to gearbox and view. It is quite irrelevant if we think it is unfair or a bad idea for a public server, or unfair for slow PCs, or contrary to the way we like to race. If a person hosts a server with a set of conditions or rules; he has put those conditions in place to prevent certain actions. For people to disagree with these conditions is fruitless, the conditions are there precisely for the reason of attracting only certain racers.

If his server had a setting that forced cockpit view then only racers who agree with that condition will race on that server. Mission accomplished.

That's it! Thanks mate! I will post this thread under suggestion and improvments
Quote from The Devil Is A Squirrel :That's your opinion. I think this feature does not hurt anyone...

I think its unfair. i think people should be allowed to chose the view they want. The Auto / Manual option seams quite good thou, as people who want to race auto, they can with a bunch of other people - the forced option thing.

The cam view is unfair in my opinion, but the Auto / Manual force is quite good!
#25 - Woz
I am all for these sort of setting, and had the same view in the RSC thread.

NR2003 was the game that had a setting where you can force cockpit view along with a range of visual settings so you know that everyone has the same view.

I wanted it to go further in LFS as well and disable the jump to pits and the space bar to reset the car etc. Also if you spectate you can't rejoin the race etc.

As I stated at the time, I really doubt you will see this setting used on many public servers as its the sort of thing used in leagues etc.

So thumbs up froim me

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG