The online racing simulator
Ghost car, duh.
(48 posts, started )
Ghost car, duh.
I'll be absolutely amazed if this hasnt been mentioned 4,000 times before but the absence of a ghost car of your best lap is obvioiusly a huge pain in the butt. Anyone know of any mods that allow this?
That's why someone invented the search button!!

There's a thread about this very recently, in which again it was told that the ghost car is patented which means it would cost a large sum of cash to use. Not aware of any mods for one, that was discussed to. Replay analyser is what most people use.

Welcome to the LFS forums!
Quote from Rotary :That's why someone invented the search button!!

There's a thread about this very recently, in which again it was told that the ghost car is patented which means it would cost a large sum of cash to use. Not aware of any mods for one, that was discussed to. Replay analyser is what most people use.

Welcome to the LFS forums!

Yep correct this has been mentioned many times, maybe there needs to be a STIKY on using the search function....

However I would say that the term "Ghost Car" has been patented by Atari.You can call it what you like, "Training Shadow" or whatever and it should be cool....
Can't you just watch the replays and learn that way? Having a translucent car on track that you can drive through is soooooo unrealistic it's just silly (before someone tries to be clever and state that LFS isn't 100% realistic, I know, but there must be boundaries to the noob-aids). I would ONLY be SLIGHTLY interested in this if the car was solid (and hence you could follow it, but NOT set good times by being able to drive though it. Thus if you want to set artificially fast times using a ghost car you have to pass him, not drive though him...
Well there is no "must" in using a ghost car.

I'd really want this feature in the game. And there are a lot of racers out there thinking the same way than I do.
I've always found driving with a ghost car to be very distracting. Especially if you're on exactly the same line as the ghost, but then you move slightly and you get that awful double vision thing happening. Or you start watching the back of the ghost car and end up in the sand somewhere.
IMHO the best way to get fast is to drive a lot, concentrate on smoothness and keep half an eye on your split times so you know where you can improve. I'm still not all that fast, so back to my wheel I go ... :drive:
I reckon if there was a ghost car, people would be quick behind it, but either slow or very accident prone as soon as the ghost car was removed.

It would only serve to make online racing LESS fun, and the hotlap charts artificially close.
Quote from tristancliffe :I reckon if there was a ghost car, people would be quick behind it, but either slow or very accident prone as soon as the ghost car was removed.

It would only serve to make online racing LESS fun, and the hotlap charts artificially close.

I ahve split feelings about ghostcars. On one hand, they are utterly unrealistic and have quite a few disadvantages as already mentioned.

On the other hand, I love this feature in Gran Turismo when I chase the Gold award for a time trial. You can improve yourself more easily because you actually can see how different approaches to certain turns affect the laptime.
Also it gives you the little thrill of a pseudo-race, making time trials (or hunting pbs or even wrs) a little less dull.

So, summarizing I am happy with or without ghostcars
#9 - OPK
Quote from tristancliffe :there must be boundaries to the noob-aids

Hehe, yeah
I don´t think a ghost car would be a good idea, I personally never liked them in other games...grml ^^
I thought it was a decent idea that people would use.

But it does stink of "Arcade Game" right enough.... and we LFS hardnutts dont like that word.
Quote from ColeusRattus :...

^ What he said ^
well,
i'd still like to be able to use a ghost car in the game, it could be really handy..
for all u saying its "non-realistic" u can just turn that feature off!
Quote : for all u saying its "non-realistic" u can just turn that feature off!

yepp they can , and will turn it of. But a noob might use it and improve his laptimes much faster and that is the problem for these kind of people.

I dont need a ghost car, but maybe would use it for driving different lines through corners to compare it, i can already do it with analyze for speed. But with a ghostcar it would speed up things, and since we don't have race engineers in LFS to help the Driver any help from LFS is appriciated.
I'd like a ghost car...it's a way of being able to watch a replay of your best lap while you drive that doesn't exist otherwise. A ghost car of somebodyelse's best lap would be dodgy though.
i enjoy games with a ghost car of my best lap to race against. but when you get within one car length of the ghost it needs to disappear or become VERY translucent. there's nothing worse than trying to see through a solid copy of your car that's on a slightly different line than you.

speedfreak227
Please read the previous discussion as to why it probably wont be included (patent issue).
I've always used ghost cars to improve my lap times in games. In fact, i don't
see a better way to see your errors than to actually follow yourself and
compare different techniques to find the fastest. I go karting regularly and
i use my friend as a 'ghost' (and vice-versa). By staying close together we
can try various techniques to see which is better/faster for which turn, a
simple laptime can't tell you that.

I thought the goal was about reaching faster laptimes, not keeping the n00bs
down until grampa learns to use a computer ?! Like all forms of racing,
there always seems to be 2 major attitudes, the 'technical', stoic and patient,
and the slower, but braver, 'intimidator'. A race is about seeing if the
real pilots can get passed the goons A bit like hockey i guess. Once in
a while, the 'technical' one will have a rage fit, but it's usually short
and often well placed, like a strategic hit to the side while entering a turn.
Great pilots are usually people who have a lot of both, like Shumacher. I
wonder if he's complaining about Villeneuve getting 'cheat' track time on
his simulator...
Quote from the_angry_angel :Please read the previous discussion as to why it probably wont be included (patent issue).

ok, the name "ghost car" might be patented but i've played many different games with "an image of a car driving my best lap" that i can compete against.

rally trophy by bug bear has it.
hard drivin' in the arcade had it.

did they pay royalties to have a "best lap car"?

speedfreak227
I don't want a ghost car if it aint there in real life then it shouldn't be in a sim. Okay you can say turn it off but then all the WR times are going to be using the ghost car to make these times. It takes away the fun part of hotlapping which is to push the car to the maximum, if you have a ghost car to follow lap after lap then your using an aid to help you imrpove the time till you can't go any quicker. Without a ghost car you must decide where the braking and turn in points are for yourself lap after lap with only the track features to use. Thats my view on it and I really hope we don't see a ghost car as thats for arcade games.

Keiran
Quote :It takes away the fun part of hotlapping which is to push the car to the maximum, if you have a ghost car to follow lap after lap then your using an aid to help you imrpove the time till you can't go any quicker. Without a ghost car you must decide where the braking and turn in points are for yourself lap after lap with only the track features to use.

Maybe it takes fun away from you if you use it. Others may have great fun , so hard to accept? And a slow driver will never be able to drive WR times just by driving behind a WR ghost. As i said before a ghost car isn't important for me , but i want as many competitive drivers as possible , and if a ghost will help them to go faster in shorter time, great.
Quote from speedfreak227 :ok, the name "ghost car" might be patented

Names arent patented. Ideas are. Which is bad, for software.

Quote from speedfreak227 :did they pay royalties to have a "best lap car"?

I dont work for companies that have used patented "Ghost Car technology" in their software, so I really wouldnt know

Edit: Let me expand a bit on my first point.
Patents dont always include the implementation (although copyright does), but always include the idea. If we were to implement the ghost car its possible that atari would come down on the LFS devs like a tonne of bricks - result no LFS. Personally I prefer the safe option.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Names arent patented. Ideas are. Which is bad, for software.

I dont work for companies that have used patented "Ghost Car technology" in their software, so I really wouldnt know

Edit: Let me expand a bit on my first point.
Patents dont always include the implementation (although copyright does), but always include the idea. If we were to implement the ghost car its possible that atari would come down on the LFS devs like a tonne of bricks - result no LFS. Personally I prefer the safe option.

that is totally fair! i can agree with that.

the time when i like a ghost car the most is when some non-racer buddy is playing and i like to see them improve. it's a nice way for them to get faster or at least see their mistakes.

speedfreak227
There have been so, so many games that have had the ghost car option in them. I find it strange that theres fear of legal action being taken for something used by so many much more mass market games. I dont think those game makers would have included it if it were risky to their profit.

LFS being a computer driven simulator, there are allready lots and lots of things you cant see in real life that you are able to in the game. The 'force' effects for instance. Its not like this would be breaking some perfect realism tradition. You can download peoples actual wr replays and watch them anyway, doesnt seem to me like such a huge change to just have your car on the screen at the same time. Its not like you put up a ghost and suddenly you know exactly how to keep a car on the edge of control. Even with a ghost car of someone elses super fast time, it takes tons and tons of training to be consistently super fast. A ghost just helps people see their mistakes sooner. Like someone else said, ghosts are especially good for beginners. I also agree that they add a ton of fun to time trialing against oneself like someone else mentioned.

Ghost car, duh.
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG