The online racing simulator
How to reduce front end grip over bumps?
(12 posts, started )
Anyone know the best way to reduce front end traction over large bumps, more so than rear end? Without substantially affecting the balance of the car otherwise?
Depends what car... mess with Anti Roll on the front and Toe.....

EDIT: Sorry I have no clue what I'm saying.... Im 13 so ya lol....
It's fun to post isn't it.
Damn blowy thought you would know this lol!!

Why would you want less grip anyway? them Fern Bay black curbs too hard on the frail ole Fo8? :P
Make the damping harder and maybe even raise the front tire pressures if possible.

If I understand correctly, you don't like it when the car wants to grip too much when it is riding on a curb while in a corner? If it strikes the bump/curb pretty hard and the car gets a violent reaction to which it wants to steer MORE, you'd think making the car absorb it would solve it, but if you make the car absorbent it will squash itself down on the track causing the camber degrees to increase rapidly. Keep the car ridgid, and make the damper slower, and if you have a rebound setting, make that quicker. Depends what stiffness you are using and how much camber is already set on the car.

If you are driving on a curb and the car just wants to pull in too much, that may not even be the front end's fault, but your differential setting and/or how your suspension is balanced allowing the diff to wind up when the car rolls irregularly. Noticeable on the UF1 and some of the GTR cars like the FZR.

What car are you using anyways?
Quote from Mr.Ferret :Damn blowy thought you would know this lol!!

Why would you want less grip anyway? them Fern Bay black curbs too hard on the frail ole Fo8? :P

Hehe, I thought rather than stuff around testing I'd get a few responses to try... I have my own ideas of course
I don't want less grip, I want less front end grip when I smash over the huge chicane kerbs, so it just understeers out of it rather than spinning.

Tweaker - fo8 on fern black. I know too much power locking will cause issues too, not going any lower than 40% that it's currently at, though it would make the bumps easier. So far I've found absorbent works better most of the time, but occasionally it just seems to get caught the wrong way... I thought a lower and stiffer front end would help, but maybe I should have tried lower and stiffer rear instead.
Quote from Blowtus :Hehe, I thought rather than stuff around testing I'd get a few responses to try... I have my own ideas of course
I don't want less grip, I want less front end grip when I smash over the huge chicane kerbs, so it just understeers out of it rather than spinning.

Tweaker - fo8 on fern black. I know too much power locking will cause issues too, not going any lower than 40% that it's currently at, though it would make the bumps easier. So far I've found absorbent works better most of the time, but occasionally it just seems to get caught the wrong way... I thought a lower and stiffer front end would help, but maybe I should have tried lower and stiffer rear instead.

This was the setup that I won with in the LOTA series that was faster than the WR and proved to be a pretty good setup. Generally if your car does act funky on the curbs, you just need to straighten the wheel out a bit briefly and keep on punching the gas .

I'm not 100% positive this was my setup, but the naming convinces me

WR is 2:02.39 --- my race PB was 2:01.88 (possible to go faster, easily)
Attached files
FORMULA V8_LOTA FE4 QUAL.set - 132 B - 260 views
FORMULA V8_LOTA FE4 RACE.set - 132 B - 237 views
Quote from Tweaker :This was the setup that I won with in the LOTA series that was faster than the WR and proved to be a pretty good setup. Generally if your car does act funky on the curbs, you just need to straighten the wheel out a bit briefly and keep on punching the gas .

I'm not 100% positive this was my setup, but the naming convinces me

WR is 2:02.39 --- my race PB was 2:01.88 (possible to go faster, easily)

Ooohh thanks for thoes sets :P
Thanks tweaky!

PS. im also doing the same races they are doing, muhaha. Is it the one that bagbag uses evrywhere? coz thats a sweet set.
Quote from [DUcK] :Thanks tweaky!

PS. im also doing the same races they are doing, muhaha. Is it the one that bagbag uses evrywhere? coz thats a sweet set.

Damn!!! this was ment to be mine and blowys little secret!!!
Cheers Tweaker. Find my set faster and a little easier to drive though damnit! Fairly compliant and low damping rates pretty much removes the problem of oversteer when clipping kerbs (as in the first left turn after the fe green chicane, or the fast sweeper after the wall) but still gets unsettled when hitting the chicanes with the weight transfer a little off. As expected, I'm just trying to be fussy, like usual. Hopefully I get down to the quick times you were talking
Neither higher or lower front end as opposed to rear seemed to help with the chicanes at all.
This is the one I used the same LOTA race as Tweaker. Note that I am about 2 seconds slower (at least with my old Force RS, things might be different with the new G25), but you should find this one easier. You may also want to tweak the downforce a bit because it was pretty obvious in the race that I had too much. The steering lock is also miniscule to compensate for the Force RS (aka Force POS).
Attached files
FORMULA V8_FE4 7.set - 132 B - 212 views

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG