The online racing simulator
drifting in s2
(29 posts, started )
I just found the video (googled for yellowbird and nurburgring) and he's not drifting in the showboating, maximum-opposite-lock-at-every-corner sense of the word. He certainly gets some lock on through a few corners, especially the ones where they bothered to use the external camera footage but he's not deliberately shredding the tyres. Even so, by the time he got past the karussel (about the 5min mark) the back tyres seemed awfully secondhand. It sounded like he wasn't leaning on the throttle anywhere nearly as hard as he was at the start of the lap and the transitions to sliding were a lot smoother so I'd say his tyres were getting distinctly greasy. Awesome driving though.
Quote from vpr01 :its hard to drift because:

- tyre physics need fixing
- tyres seem to wear out very quickly when spinning
- is there even an option to pick the rubber compound? i cant remember.
- its very hard without a wheel that can do 360 degrees. youd have to have it set to high sensitivity, which would be very hard.

i youve actually seen people drifting from in-car view, it looks even harder than it does from outside. they're constantly spinning the wheel from lock to lock.

The speed at which the tyres wear i find fine. No duh they wear out quickly when spinning illepall. In setups go to tyres. I use a DFP and my wheel is set to about 500 ish degrees, yes youve got to go from lock to lock very quickly, but it gets very easy after a while.

*edit* i think this is the worst post ive ever made grammatical wise.*edit*
Considering the numerical stats for the Yellowbird 911, I'm not suprised he was driving it that way in the 'ring video. The thing has an engine like a Group B rally car--whacking great twin turbos, power doesn't hit until 3,000 RPM and then it rips your face off--and unlike Group B, the 911 doesn't have the benefit of AWD. Plus, the 'ring is a course that probably only a handful of people in the world can claim to "know", and as such a little rally-style mild drifting is a reasonable way to make navigate the corners.

That said, as mentioned his tires were toast after that run, and he was not doing showboat drifting.

That all said, if you want your tires to last longer, try using Hybrids. I've found them to be a bit tougher, albeit lower grip, and you can thrash them a lot longer before they give out.

drifting in s2
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG