Closed since :
80-90°
Above 90°
70-79°
60-69°
50-59°
40-49°
What FOV do you use?
Adjusting the FOV can dramatically change the look and feel of the game. Increasing the FOV improves the sense of speed but causes fish-eye lens distortion. Decreasing the FOV improves depth perception and the ability to judge distance but restricts peripheral vision.

What FOV do you use?

As an aside: if I've done trigonometry correctly, an eyepoint 77cm away from a 33cm wide monitor screen corresponds to a FOV of approximately 24°, so setting the FOV to 24° would render the most accurate visual representation of the game world. However, a FOV this small would make the game almost unplayable due to the very constrained viewport it provides. Multiple monitors would be needed to make this FOV playable.
130 here
90 here. It is comfortable.
73, i use chase view right nowe, switching to custom and cockpit views.
110 here..
#6 - FL!P
83 for me. In cockpit view.
#7 - SamH
Between 55 and 75. Depends on the car. Usually whatever it takes to get a dash and a wing-mirror in view. I like a narrow FOV and I use the hat-switch on my DFP to look around.
Quote from FL!P :83 for me. In cockpit view.

I use...
82!
It's the best, trust me! lol
55 for me with small adjustments depending on certain cars.

I pull my 19" CRT up to the back of my DFP, so I am sitting pretty close and then I use a fresnel lens to magnify the picture so it's like I have a 22-24". At ~55 everything feels pretty close to life like in size. That's the most important thing for immersion. I also use TrackIR which makes it a million times better. The only thing lacking right now is peripheral vision, which will be somewhat solved in the future when I'll have a 3 monitor setup. That and TrackIR should be damn good.

BTW, thank you kegetys for the 5DOF. I'll be trying your triplehead software when I upgrade my computer with pci-e.
Thanks again
90+ because I don't use cockpit cam (roof cam). Because 90 degrees or higher in the cockpit looks incredibly skewed, but on the roof cam you have a large range of vision, and it looks fine. I really only use around 90-95, nothing higher though.
90 degrees on my Sony FW900 24" widescreen CRT (equivalent to a 22" widescreen LCD in terms of size, but oh so much faster... )

When I was home this past winter break, I left the FW900 at school and used a little 17" CRT (4:3 of course) with the same 90 degree FOV. Although I ended up winning a few BF1 races like that (culminating in finishing first in DSR's F1 league), everything was still ridiculously tiny. I suspect I may have benefitted from having a smaller FOV but I'm not entirely sure. It may have simply thrown me off.
120degress on my 2X 19" Flatron's
BTW, the choices should read:

40-49
50-59
etc.

There shouldn't be any overlap.
80 here, any higher and i just can't feel the car anymore.
#15 - Davo
98 for my widescren.
Usually I'm in the low 60s. I use the tires view, as I want to see as much of the moving area, (road) as I can. I also use a fresnel lens with a slider mechanism that allows me to move the lens from 1 " to about 10" from my monitor. I move my fov with the hat switch, so I keep it a little higher for race starts and gradually move it down towards 60 degrees. I haven't used the track Ir for quite a while... never could get the settings to feel comfortable... maybe someone could send me their settings that work for them?
90+ because i have a 22" widescreen
#18 - Worm
95°
i use the maximum, whatever it is

120 is it??

max all the way
80 I think. I can't remember. I like as much as I can get without the perspective going all crazy.

Quote from Kegetys :130 here

Nice. Does SoftTH do that for you or did you have to do it another way?
Am i the only person that races from the 3rd person view just behind and above the car instead of the cockpit view?illepall
between 85 and 90 depending on the car, always (without exception) from the cockpit view, using 'real' mirrors, and wheel without drivers arms on view.
I can't remember exactly, but I think about 70. I used to use about 60 (the default?), but switched up so I had a bit of a view of the sides.

What FOV do you use?
(94 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG