The online racing simulator
#1 - aoun
Juan Montoya wins Daytona 24hour Debut
Yeah!! Duran!!! I didnt see the race
I was there. Pretty good racing across the board. It was my first Rolex24, and my first time at Daytona. It was pretty cool to be able to see the whole track from the stands.

The infield was awesome. Basically a free car show with just about everything there. There were even four Noble M400's, in America you never see any of those.

JPM was doing an awesome job driving. But he had an awesome team behind him, the Chip Gannassi group. The driver line-up was absolutely astonishing. I think they were 70 drivers who had won championships in the race. I got a picture on pit lane with me and Derek Bell. My buddy got Borris Said to sign his ticket and got a picture with him, During his driver introduction. Too funny. Some of those drivers are very intense people. Scott Pruett almost ran me over on foot in the pit lane before the race, even if I do have about 6" and ~30 pounds on him.

The cars were actually really quiet. The DPs have big mufflers, and the loudest car by far was a GT RX8. I can believe the stories about how loud the Mazda that won lemans was.

Anyway, I didn't have my camera, , and man are my feet tired from all the walking.

Oh Yea, JPM and Andretti are now the only two to win the Rolex, Indy5, and an F1 race. JPM could also win the Daytona 500, but Andretti already did that too, the first time he tried no less!
I am no nascar/any type of american motorsport fan put at least montoya is good at something for once

Nah only jk, glad to see him win at what he is good at
This wasnt Nascar, it was the Daytona Prototype series.
Quote from Tweaker :This wasnt Nascar, it was the Daytona Prototype series.

Allways have to be a smartass don't yea
Quote from rc10racer :Allways have to be a smartass don't yea

It's just that we haven't seen him do Nascar yet, and if he does good with that, it'd be pretty cool. But even cooler if he'd suck at it, heheh. But he has a good record of being a great driver in karts, CART/Champ Car, and F1. Don't see why Nascar could be any harder for him. But he's gotta play with the big boys in that series, and I am sure he'll get in a few fights sometimes, lol.
Quote from Tweaker : But he's gotta play with the big boys in that series, and I am sure he'll get in a few fights sometimes, lol.

and if he loses he can always blame kimi for ruining he f1 career and had to settle for American motorsport
Quote from Tweaker :It's just that we haven't seen him do Nascar yet, and if he does good with that, it'd be pretty cool. But even cooler if he'd suck at it, heheh. But he has a good record of being a great driver in karts, CART/Champ Car, and F1. Don't see why Nascar could be any harder for him. But he's gotta play with the big boys in that series, and I am sure he'll get in a few fights sometimes, lol.

He ran a race or two last season. He was midfield and was crashed out in a fireball crash =) I think that was more the NASCAR guys giving him some initation bumping =)

JPM can drive, too bad his attitude and emotions get the best of him more times than it should.
#10 - aoun
Yeh hes my fav racer.. i think hes truely one of the best drivers out there.. (dont flame me, IMO!!) lol...

I just hate it when he cant put his head together.. and then he blames it on the car!! He needs to concentrate more imo.. =)
OMG.... this is a horrible looking car its a Darth Vader car

Grats Montoya, I always though he was very quick in F1 and hes first few seasons he proved what he can do but then he went of the boil a bit.

Mad
Well I wouldn't call them cars anymore. Nothing on them are factory. Everything is hand built and even though they have different manufacturers on them they are all the same with the exception of the bodypanels.

NASCAR tries to say that a Chevy won this or a Ford won that. It has nothing to do with the makes anymore, it's all down to how much money a team has to put into devolopment. That why NASCAR is switching over to the COT car.
Quote from Viper93 :Well I wouldn't call them cars anymore. Nothing on them are factory. Everything is hand built and even though they have different manufacturers on them they are all the same with the exception of the bodypanels.

NASCAR tries to say that a Chevy won this or a Ford won that. It has nothing to do with the makes anymore, it's all down to how much money a team has to put into devolopment. That why NASCAR is switching over to the COT car.

Wow, that isn't true at all.

I guarantee you that the cars are different from team to team and manufacturer to manufacturer.
Quote from skiingman :Wow, that isn't true at all.

I guarantee you that the cars are different from team to team and manufacturer to manufacturer.

But they still bad imo.

To moderators: Do i have to change my avatar, or this is ok? hehhe
I watched it even woke up early to watch the end! Was a great race but was hoping sun trust #10 was gonna win. Jeff Gordon is my driver in NASCAR. GGGGGOOOOOO GOOOOOORRRRDDDDOOONNNN.
#16 - Tick
Quote from racer hero :I watched it even woke up early to watch the end! Was a great race but was hoping sun trust #10 was gonna win. Jeff Gordon is my driver in NASCAR. GGGGGOOOOOO GOOOOOORRRRDDDDOOONNNN.

LOL! Jeff Gordon... HAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAAHHAHHAHAHAH!
Jeff "PeterPuffer" Gordon

Dales Dead get a REAL Hero!

Nascars great, I only watch it for the crashes!
Quote from skiingman :Wow, that isn't true at all.

Haha see even you are fooled =P The engine blocks may be different to an extent but each chassis is exactly the same, suspension compontents are exactly the same. Even most of the engine components are the same. If each car make had their engine specific to the model in the car what about the Ford Fusion? There is no way that thing could handle a V8. Besides the Fusion looks nothing like the car they have for Nextel. The Chevy and dodge do come with a V8 option. What about the Toyota thats coming into NASCAR? There is no way they could have a V8 for their car that their brining into Nascar, which if I remember right is the Corolla.

Same as in same configuration and what the component does. There will probably be differences as in which company has their component for what team but NASCAR for over the last 10 years at least has never been about car makes. It's a facade to keep people interested. And one of the many reasons I refuse to watch it. There is way too much branding for my likes. I used to love it. I grew up where Kenseth started racing and I watched him race his way up from Streetstocks. I moved onto things that are not so filled with sponsoring and advertisement. Which is everything that NASCAR is geared towards. You cannot go through one interview without hearing a reference to a sponsor or brand.

This COT car isn't really that far off of whats already
Quote from Viper93 :Haha see even you are fooled =P The engine blocks may be different to an extent but each chassis is exactly the same, suspension compontents are exactly the same. Even most of the engine components are the same.

No, they aren't.

The "engine components" must all fit within a stringent set of rules, but they are certainly anything but "exactly the same."

The suspension components are likewise not "exactly the same" nor are the chassis. They must also comply with a stringent and limiting set of rules, but there are differences that would be obvious to a naked eyed layman like yourself between car 43 on the grid and car 1.
Quote :
If each car make had their engine specific to the model in the car what about the Ford Fusion?

The Ford NASCAR motor is very much specific to Fords and is very much distinguishable from a Chevy NASCAR motor.

The fact that the motors share little with any current production motors does not imply that they are "the same" from brand to brand. They aren't.
Quote :
What about the Toyota thats coming into NASCAR? There is no way they could have a V8 for their car that their brining into Nascar, which if I remember right is the Corolla.

You should really read more and disagree with people less. Its a "Camry", and the Toyota NASCAR motor was designed from scratch to be competitive with the current stuff without having any large unfair advantage due to new design. The basic motor design in NASCAR is always what you could call homologated by the manufacturer, and the details traditionally fall to the teams. The pole car may have ~100hp advantage on the guy picking up the 43rd spot even if they are using heads and blocks from the same manufacturer.
Quote :
It's a facade to keep people interested.

It may be stupid and a large waste of time and money that ends up requiring questionable rule changes to keep things competitive. It is not a "facade". There are very real differences between the different manufacturers' packages.

You've already convinced yourself there isn't, so this is sort of like talking to a brick wall. I'm not going to waste my time digging up the relevant history and data, you can do the research yourself if you decide to stop being thick.

It should be obvious that race shops in North Carolina didn't push the pushrod motor to 800hp plus without OEM assistance. It should be obvious that without manufacturer competition, the engine packages would be more reliable and less powerful, as is common in spec engine series.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17425
Quote :
Which is everything that NASCAR is geared towards. You cannot go through one interview without hearing a reference to a sponsor or brand.

There is a reason why Nextel Cup is one of the only forms of motorsport on earth that any sane person would call profitable. And really its because it isn't a motorsport at all; its a spectacle for entertainment of observers.

I'm not about to complain about how much it sucks from a sporting perspective; its immensely successful and therefore one of my best job prospects re: getting a motorsports engineering job down the road.
Quote from skiingman :No, they aren't.

The "engine components" must all fit within a stringent set of rules, but they are certainly anything but "exactly the same."

The suspension components are likewise not "exactly the same" nor are the chassis. They must also comply with a stringent and limiting set of rules, but there are differences that would be obvious to a naked eyed layman like yourself between car 43 on the grid and car 1.

The Ford NASCAR motor is very much specific to Fords and is very much distinguishable from a Chevy NASCAR motor.

The fact that the motors share little with any current production motors does not imply that they are "the same" from brand to brand. They aren't.

You should really read more and disagree with people less. Its a "Camry", and the Toyota NASCAR motor was designed from scratch to be competitive with the current stuff without having any large unfair advantage due to new design. The basic motor design in NASCAR is always what you could call homologated by the manufacturer, and the details traditionally fall to the teams. The pole car may have ~100hp advantage on the guy picking up the 43rd spot even if they are using heads and blocks from the same manufacturer.

It may be stupid and a large waste of time and money that ends up requiring questionable rule changes to keep things competitive. It is not a "facade". There are very real differences between the different manufacturers' packages.

You've already convinced yourself there isn't, so this is sort of like talking to a brick wall. I'm not going to waste my time digging up the relevant history and data, you can do the research yourself if you decide to stop being thick.

It should be obvious that race shops in North Carolina didn't push the pushrod motor to 800hp plus without OEM assistance. It should be obvious that without manufacturer competition, the engine packages would be more reliable and less powerful, as is common in spec engine series.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17425

There is a reason why Nextel Cup is one of the only forms of motorsport on earth that any sane person would call profitable. And really its because it isn't a motorsport at all; its a spectacle for entertainment of observers.

I'm not about to complain about how much it sucks from a sporting perspective; its immensely successful and therefore one of my best job prospects re: getting a motorsports engineering job down the road.

I was with you all the way up untill you said nascar isn't a motorsport, it may be oversponsored and watered down, but burried down in there, its still competition of man and machine vs man and machine...not sponsor vs sponsor...you just have to look through the bable to see it
Quote from DodgeRacer :I was with you all the way up untill you said nascar isn't a motorsport, it may be oversponsored and watered down, but burried down in there, its still competition of man and machine vs man and machine...not sponsor vs sponsor...you just have to look through the bable to see it

Yeah, OK.

Its a motorsport, but its certainly a more entertainment/spectacle driven version than the other world class series. Of course, that does make it more fun to watch, and it does make it a lot more successful financially.

I think the last time there was a Cup race without a lead change was 2000 in that weird restrictor race at Loudon. NASCAR certainly does make things interesting.
Quote from skiingman :Yeah, OK.

Its a motorsport, but its certainly a more entertainment/spectacle driven version than the other world class series. Of course, that does make it more fun to watch, and it does make it a lot more successful financially.

I think the last time there was a Cup race without a lead change was 2000 in that weird restrictor race at Loudon. NASCAR certainly does make things interesting.

Nascar does do an excessive amount to make it more fan friendly/entertaing i admit, but that still leaves me confused as to why its still not accepted nationwide as a sport, the polls still show it as gathering a miniscule amount of viewer attentoin vs other sports (all of american racing combined!)

guess there's just to much football to watch to have time for racing.
Quote from Madman_CZ :OMG.... this is a horrible looking car its a Darth Vader car

Grats Montoya, I always though he was very quick in F1 and hes first few seasons he proved what he can do but then he went of the boil a bit.

Mad

that just brought to my memory Montoya's ideal car (attention to the sign on the bumper)
Attached images
Montoya.jpg
You still haven't showed me anything that tells me those engines are different. Camry corrolla or what ever doesn't make a difference the point I was trying to make was that those V8's have no home factory wise in either the Toyota or the Ford and if they were honestly using those chassis or anything remotely similar to the real car chassis those engines wouldn't fit.

The chassis are virtually the same. Stick on a body shell and that makes them different? Lets call this one Chevy, and this one Ford and see which one crosses the finish line first=) Ohh we will give this engine a bit more lift. Dump a little more fuel in this engine and we will call them Chevy and Ford. Then we will strap on carburators because we don't want to mess with fuel injection just yet.

IMO at the end of the day I don't really care. Just laughing in my seat as you think that each make is significantly different from each other.

I am ranting in general. I used to like NASCAR until they switched to new managment and brought in Nextel and the "chase for the cup" It doesn't matter how a driver does the first 2/3 of the season as long as they are in the top 10 which IMO is wrong.
Quote from Viper93 :You still haven't showed me anything that tells me those engines are different. Camry corrolla or what ever doesn't make a difference the point I was trying to make was that those V8's have no home factory wise in either the Toyota or the Ford and if they were honestly using those chassis or anything remotely similar to the real car chassis those engines wouldn't fit.

As the Ford link points out, the Nextel Cup cylinder heads are very much for sale, very much in production, and are very likely to be found at a circle track near you. Well, maybe not you, but we've got hundreds of the things.

No, none of the major manufacturers build and sell tube frame racecars to the public.....what does this have to with them all being "the same" eh?

And on another note, if you don't think a small block can be shoved into "real cars" I suggest you get out more. Jeebus, I could more easily list the vehicles I haven't seen a small block chevy in....

Oh, the Monte Carlo is available with a SBC, as is the Impala. And the Charger. No, none of them share anything other than headlights (headlight stickers) but no, none of them are the same.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG