The online racing simulator
ai files to GIMP?
(6 posts, started )
ai files to GIMP?
I found this useful site that has a huge collection of logos in vector format, http://www.webchantier.com.

Problem is, that they are .ai files (Adobe Illustrator) and there doesn't seem to be any free program cabable of importing them. Best i've found is this python script, which converts them to .svg. However, for some reason, both GIMP and Inkscape refuse to open the resulting files.

Any ideas?
No ideas really, only thing i can think would be get adobe illustrator. IIRC gimp open's .eps files in which case go to www.brandsoftheworld.com as 99.9% of them are .eps files which are vector's also.

Hope this helps.
the problem is: illustrator creates vektor files. you can scale those files to any kind of size without loosing quality. gimp instead is a pixel-art program. i have illustrator, you can tell me which files do you want, and i may find time to convert them for you, so you can use them in gimp.

ah and i need the resolution as well. cheers

the other option is, just klick on the preview pictures with right klick and save them with save as.... you could use these in gimp. if they are only for car-skins i think the quality is more then sufficient....
Quote from Greboth :No ideas really, only thing i can think would be get adobe illustrator. IIRC gimp open's .eps files in which case go to www.brandsoftheworld.com as 99.9% of them are .eps files which are vector's also.

Hope this helps.

That's an awesome site. Thanks

Quote from Fischfix :the problem is: illustrator creates vektor files. you can scale those files to any kind of size without loosing quality. gimp instead is a pixel-art program. i have illustrator, you can tell me which files do you want, and i may find time to convert them for you, so you can use them in gimp.

ah and i need the resolution as well. cheers

the other option is, just klick on the preview pictures with right klick and save them with save as.... you could use these in gimp. if they are only for car-skins i think the quality is more then sufficient....

I know they're vector files As Greboth said GIMP can import .eps and .svg files. It just converts them to raster.

Thanks for the offer, but it won't be needed. It seems I can find all I need on that site greboth provided. And if I don't, I can convert them in work. Got Corel Draw there.
#5 - Gunn
Quote from Chisha : I can convert them in work. Got Corel Draw there.

Corel Draw will also open AI files.
Another free and open source application you can try is Scribus. It's a DTP app but it has tools for converting vector graphics, better tools than Inkscape.

ai files to GIMP?
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG