The online racing simulator
Launch control
(66 posts, started )
Quote from Spinjack :How else is noob going to race against other drivers? The LFS AI is as bad as any noob for running people off the track and very difficult to train with. My only beef will noobs is when they think they can race and don't hang back a bit, staying out of the way. The flip side is that some of the so-called 'expert' drivers can't pass a back marker to save their lives. If you see an obviously nooby driver, give him/her some room and be smart about making the pass. You may loose a little time, but its better than forcing the issue and loosing a lot of time.

But, back on topic. I consistently use a pretty effective traciton control system whn I race. Its called my right foot.

It's ok once they've learnt the track and that because at least they can get round and their driving shouldn't be so scatty you don't have to crap yourself when passing them... It's just when someone joins a race with a track/car combination they have no experience of whatsoever.. that's when bad things happen. I probably should have been more clear, but I'd just had a crap day at work when i wrote that.

Also, it'd help if some people were told what a blue flag meant... there are a lot of people who honestly don't know, and that causes trouble as well.
Quote from Sgt. Stinger :I really think that ppl are rude. for example (in demo version but still) i was in a race on blackwood GT track, doing my 1.40 laps in the XF GTi (im improving :P)
and some knucklehead who is goin round 1.36 rear ends me because i didnt let him pass, only 2 secs after i got the blue flag (right in first corner and chicane i got it,where he and i was almost as fast))
and he says "get out of the way of real drivers n00b"
sure its the demo but honestly dot many S2 drivers drive on demoservers sometimes? I'd say so, since some ppl on the servers is going REALLY fast....

That's just mean... 1.40's hardly far off 1.36 reaaally. Some people are just impatient.. I bet they drive a BMW in real life.
Well, maybe... but i dont want to be judgemental
Anyway, the reason that he was behind me and not in front of me was because i came in 50 sec after the start in a 12 lap race, and i didnt want to wait...
not very smart of me but anyway
So, you were being lapped, got a blue flag, and didn't let him pass. What's the point here? Ofcourse he should have evaded you but there's a difference between "not letting him pass because you don't want to" and "not letting him pass because you couldn't".

Whatever, using the demo to judge anything but the physics is a waste of time anyways
Quote from AndroidXP :So, you were being lapped, got a blue flag, and didn't let him pass. What's the point here? Ofcourse he should have evaded you but there's a difference between "not letting him pass because you don't want to" and "not letting him pass because you couldn't".

Whatever, using the demo to judge anything but the physics is a waste of time anyways

hey i was in the midle of a turn (a turn where we were he was just 2-3 km/h faster) if i would have let him pass i would have crashed! he just couldnt wait for the straight, so he rear ended me so i crashed anyway....
besides this is way off topic so i suggest we leave the thing...
Quote from AndroidXP :Ofcourse he should have evaded you but there's a difference between "not letting him pass because you don't want to" and "not letting him pass because you couldn't".

Bingo.

The faster drivers need to understand the difference. Many don't.
:iagree:
Okay, repeating what I said before, and hopefully getting back on topic, is there a program that can modify inputs?
Yes, but not in the manner you want to.
do we have launch control on normal cars - NO

Maybe implement traction control, but this still takes away the edge. I want too see a fully tranny box with kickdown, but know its never ever going to happen - and i use manual all the time.

Just be a nice thing to see, if im on the phone while racing,

Sorry to go off the point BTW!!
You know BMW M3?

It has Launch control.....
rofl whats the need for launch control on normal cars?! lol

i've never seen a honda element take off from a green light so fast the wheels spin
I do not want to see launch control or traction control added to LFS. The only cars that need this feature are the faster ones anyway (GTR cars, Formula, etc). If you can't take off from a dead stop in those cars without spinning in a circle, you shouldn't be driving them. Simple as that.

It has nothing to do with hating "noobs" or not wanting new people to play on public servers (Hell, I'M a new player!). It is a simple matter of getting in over your head and driving a car that is too fast/powerful for you to handle. I consider myself to be pretty decent in the road cars and FOX, and okay (not quick, but able to stay on the track) with the GTR cars, but there's no way in hell I'm going to join a multiplayer F08 race. Not only would I not be competitive, I'd just be in the way. Once I can run quick hotlaps in that car, THEN I can go online to race.

Why do people have such a problem staying away from a car they can't handle? It's not your god given right to drive the F08 on a public server if you're so slow and/or dangerous that you're ruining everyone else's race.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Why do people have such a problem staying away from a car they can't handle? It's not your god given right to drive the F08 on a public server if you're so slow and/or dangerous that you're ruining everyone else's race.

ya.. seriously...

when someone comes up with an answer, please notify me too

its like my F1 thread; no one said you HAVE to race it.. or muchless like it in the first place, but heck.. im sure people in LFS hate the FV8 (or UF1k) depending on their personality
Quote from XCNuse :rofl whats the need for launch control on normal cars?! lol

i've never seen a honda element take off from a green light so fast the wheels spin

But my Lexus Is200 can do massive burnouts from line. Point is, you can get a 1.2 Clio doing massive wheel spins from line, but it dont spin out. Just go easy on throttle, and use 2nd or 3rd gear!
Its actually relatively simple to make a launch control util for LFS but it wouldn't work exactly as launch control does. And no, I'm not making one as I think its a pointless idea. Just learn to drive better
Could you make some suggestions on how to make launch control? Or are you just gonna be an ****?
James F1 is correct. If you want TRC and launch control, go and race on a different game. Just pratice and you will get the hang of it, Launch Control is a thing for NOOBS!!
I just want to make a simple program, so that way I can gain programming experiance. (And then make my own game someday)
If you want launch control, just decrease your gear ratio in 1st gear!!! You probably don't use 1st gear anywhere on the track except for the start and leaving the pits, so wack that baby down closer to your 2nd gear ratio. I have 1st gear of my FZR at 2.500 and 2nd gear at 2.000 and, well, I still spin a little at the start, but you can back it down a little closer than that. Just play with your ratio in 1st until you stop spinning. I take off about 2/3 or so throttle without spinning with these ratios.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Could you make some suggestions on how to make launch control? Or are you just gonna be an ****?

I was going to be an "****", but really its quite simple. Just figure out what throttle needs to be applied for the perfect start, map that to a timeline (it would have to be car-based - i.e. a different map for each car) and then just make the program 'play' it back as control input - possibly activated by a keyboard command.
isn't there a throttle control button in the options menu/
Yeah, there is "Throttle Help", but that doesn't really do the function of Launch Control too well.
Launch Control would kind of be cheating. I do however think that Traction Control (Or wheel spin reduction) and ABS would be good things to add. Just make them a little overbearing if it gives too much of an advantage. (Not to the point of gimping rookies, just to the point that you are basically going to get around faster with the stuff off.)
:bump:

Launch control
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG