The online racing simulator
Non Techie needs help with Frame rates
I posted this on the old forum yesterday but here it is on the new - so PLEASE HELP

OK guys, 1st. up I an NOT a techie nor do I undertand all this PC sfuff - but I do got a problem with frame fates and it's spoiling my fun. Here's my PC spec
P4 - 3 Gh with 1 gig of RAM
Card is Nivida GEFORCE FX5200
Frame rate goes down to about 13 /15 at the start or at any time when other racers are around me - best on lien is about 22 / 24
I run McAfee firewall and anti virus at all times, and seems to have a shed load of other things running in the background.
QUESTION - How do I get better frame rates (I can afford a new card at the moment if that is what it takes).
What "stuff in the background can I knock off?
If anyone wants to drop me an e mail please do so on the LFS World e mail system

I need help BIG time if I am to progress with fantastic game, and remember I am NOT up to speed with all the techie stuff - I will keep watching this space in the hope that someone can help and by the loks of the above posts there are many out there who can help - so thanks in advance
okay with the 5200 your going to have the same problem i do; its not going to be all that great, i run around 39 FPS (limited to 40), but can go up to 50 if i needed to

first.. how much stuff are you running in the background? here i run almost nothing at all besides MSN and AIM and what my computer requires to run, none of that other "junk" like mcafee which never works (well.. not for me it didnt)

best thing to do is lower your LOD in options/ graphics, that should be quite helpful, also lower your mirror LOD down to as low as possible. If your running it in maximized view you might want to lower your resolution, and lastly the most important is in options/misc and near the bottom it has another LOD setting, make it 1

then im sure someone will come in saying everything, but those are the most helpful
oh one last thing, in misc options change your sky to off, and that will give you about 5 or so extra FPS boost
Thanks
Will try those tips and advise
Update
That did the trick (a bit) but I reckon it's all the junk I have running in the background, Only trouble is I don't know what to end
Here's all the stuff than running in the background - HELP
Attached images
junk.JPG
alot of it will be guesswork, i will say one thing though; dont end svhost! if you do, your computer will restart after 50 seconds
The worst process on that list, will be mcaffee - depending on its configuration, it will scan every file, on every access and periodically scan every process - undeniably the biggest drain.

If you cant kill it completely whilst you play, at least turn off any scanning.
McAfee
I have to confess I would be very worried about that as every time I access multiplayer mode with ALL CARS, I get an attempted connection notification. To me (a non techie) it suggests an attempted hack.
How do I turn off "scanning" and would that run any risk ?

Any other ideas on the other lot

PS - thanks for the help so far
it will run at risk; but nothings being sent to you.. so you arent really; if your really scared of a risk download adaware, and this great thing i found 'spybot search and destroy', and turn the immunity on and you (I) havent had a single problem ever since then.. havent found anything at all even with adaware so thats .. a really good thing to get (and its free!)

in the end if your really that paranoid, atleast turn the scanning off (it must be in some option somewhere in the program), but have it running still
Still not getting vey far with improving my frame rate.

If anyone has any suggestions for background stuff I could close, which may improve the speed I would be MOST gratefull - Ta
Quote from vanirl :Still not getting vey far with improving my frame rate.

If anyone has any suggestions for background stuff I could close, which may improve the speed I would be MOST gratefull - Ta

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

I'm not sure if you want to go the trouble of checking, but there is a fairly comprehensive list of background stuff and their recommendations.
Other than that, fiddle with screen res I guess.
I dont think that running other apllications will normnally infect your frames per seconds in the game, other applications can however decrease your system performance wich will cause severe lag issues.

It seems you ve got some prgs running (at start up ?) like ms paint that s using your graf card also. Windows XP ? See mail.
Thanks mate just copped your reply and headed for the site, It looks as if I can make some good use of it (it I can sort out all the jargon). Will let you know
Again - Thanks

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG