The online racing simulator
Controls you can't live without
Apart from the obvious (accelerator, brake, clutch/gears, steering), which controls must you assign?

I mostly play LFS and GPL. In LFS, I assign the handbrake and pit limiter. In GPL I don't assign any other controls. This is because I have a gamepad, and can't keep HOTAS (so to speak) otherwise. But I know most of you have wheels.

P.S. I thought about posting this to the RSC forums, but couldn't find a general discussion among the 100+ forums they have. Go figure.
I used to have stuff like look left, look right, handbrake and pit limiter assigned to the various buttons on my Force RS, but after getting a G25 I'm limited to 2 buttons on the wheel. I assigned them to the most important functions: looking around (left and right, hold both for back).
Look left/right on my momo paddles. I use them so much, others must wonder if I ever look where I'm going, LOL. Anything else and it doesn't matter. FWIW, I have a button for speed limiter and for horn. The rest are for auto chat binds. Look left/right is a must have that everyone should use.
Look left/right, clutch, rev limiter and TC. TC just so I can quickly turn it off . Recently one the buttons (look-right) started acting up so I had to reassign it to other button, meaning that handbrake had to go. I'm still trying to get used to the new place for the look-right. Having driven 7 years with one config it takes time re-adjust myself to new buttons
#5 - Gunn
Look left and right assigned to the two buttons on my G25. Pit limiter assigned to the nearest button on the shifter console. No others. No horn, no handbrake, no lights, no reset, no restart etc, all of those are default keyboard keys which I never use.
Speed Limiter, Look left, Look right, reset car.

I'm waiting for the G25b with 4 buttons on the wheel
As said look left/right - they are the most needed.
Horn is always one to have hand incase someone tries something stupid.

Edit: KMSpeed - If you use the h shifter or sequential mode on the gear lever it leaves the paddles to be used a buttons to so you get 4 on the wheel
I use the red buttons on my g25 to look around, and the paddles for teamspeak push-to-talk(I hate people who use the sound trigger ).
On the shifter I have the pit limiter and the horn, and that are all the necessary buttons for me.
#9 - mr_x
I have the 2 buttons on G25 to look left and right

right paddle does ventrilo/teamspeak, which I added lights flash too aswell, annoys the hell outta people infront of me, good for distracting them too

the necessary keys stop there, but as I'm on a role I'll continue

left paddle is handbrake

on the 4 red buttons from left to right i have: horn, reset, pit limiter, TC (TC is rarely used as i never drive those cars)

dpad is setup as indicators (joy2key)

and that's about it
okay, let's see...

POV up = ventrilo push to talk
POV down,left and right = look in all these directions
Buttons at the bottom = pit limiter/TC
2 other buttons on the wheel = headlights/horn

rest as described below :-)

Seems like all has been said already, but "Look left" and "look right" are really the only indispensable buttons for LFS imho. Never had use for the handbrake, horn is sometimes nice to have but no guarantee that somebody will not do something stupid (sometimes the opposite). For longer races where pit strategy comes into play, it might be nice to ba able to have F12, F11 and the arrow buttons mapped as well. Pit limiter can easily be operated from the keyboard, but is handier on the wheel, I guess (same goes for TC, but I don't drive TC-cars). Some chat messages ("sorry", "good racing", ":-)", "That was not very nice") are also handy, but not necessary, as kb works fine in most instances.

That said, I have also F9 and F10 mapped to the wheel and one or two other things I don't remember. But than again I've got the DFP and would hate to leave any of the odd 786 buttons unused .
Quote from Forbin :I used to have stuff like look left, look right, handbrake and pit limiter assigned to the various buttons on my Force RS, but after getting a G25 I'm limited to 2 buttons on the wheel. I assigned them to the most important functions: looking around (left and right, hold both for back).

interesting......I didn't know you could do that
did you write a script for this?
As I would love that!!

Andrew
Quote from mrfell :interesting......I didn't know you could do that
did you write a script for this?
As I would love that!!

Andrew

It's a standard feature of the game
Quote from Bean0 :It's a standard feature of the game

I know its a standard feature, but how to assign this to 2 buttons is my question.
Quote from mrfell :I know its a standard feature, but how to assign this to 2 buttons is my question.

Bind look left and look right to the buttons as you normally would, that's all you have to do. Pressing both together will look back.
Quote from Bean0 :It's a standard feature of the game

SORRY Bean0

The Penny has just dropped from a chuffin' great height!!!!!!!!
Just tried your suggestion using the keys and it does work!!!
I didnt think for 1minute this would work with buttons on a wheel.
Please Please forgive me for having a BLONDE moment.

Andrew
Quote from mrfell :SORRY Bean0

The Penny has just dropped from a chuffin' great height!!!!!!!!
Just tried your suggestion using the keys and it does work!!!
I didnt think for 1minute this would work with buttons on a wheel.
Please Please forgive me for having a BLONDE moment.

Andrew

No worries mate
I have a MOMO Racing Force (Black).

Gears: stick
Clutch: left paddle
H'brake: right paddle
Look left/right: top 2 buttons
Speed limiter: middle right button
TC: bottom right button
Horn: middle left button
Flash lights: bottom left button

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG