The online racing simulator
Are you allowed to block????
(47 posts, started )
was racing a friend who's been playing less than me, and he called me a cheat cause i made contact with him and knocked him off track, even though he was doing his best too block me.. i didnt hit him on perpose but as i shimmied from left too right he blocked me causing me too connect with him and either one of us comming off the track... i told him he cant bloke, he says he can... i said if blue flag pops up you have too give way.. he keeps saying blue flags aint popping up, even though im alot faster than him....

so can he block or am i right??
Defensive Driving

DD-1 Leading cars have the right to choose their own line down a straight. They may make one move to block an attacking car to protect their position while on a straight - but then must maintain that position as long as the attacker remains affected by their position. Then, naturally, as they approach the next corner, they can of course return to the racing line of their choice for the corner. DD-2: Leading cars have the right to take their line of choice through corners. E.G. they may drive a defensive line around the inside of a corner to protect their position, thereby forcing an attacking driver to try to pass around the outside. This is not blocking and is part of normal racing etiquette.
In fact, apart from the restrictions of rule DD-1, a leading driver can drive any line which they feel is the most inconvenient for any following car to try to pass them.

Blue flags are only shown to a driver who is a lap behind
Under Blue flag he should allow the faster driver to pass.. The way you're saying it though is making it sound more like he's just racing his line whilst you race yours and a small knocks happening.
guess he was right in a way, but he aint allowed to keep swerving into my path on the striaght when i try and get past.....
Quote from Kaizaka :Under Blue flag he should allow the faster driver to pass.. The way you're saying it though is making it sound more like he's just racing his line whilst you race yours and a small knocks happening.

sorry i should have made it more clear, say at begining of a race when lights go green, i set off he sets off,but if he get s a better start he will come over too my side just soo i cant get past, that cant be legal..
#6 - nihil
Search the forum, because there is a LOT of discussion and information about this topic. But in addition to the above post (defensive driving), this is also an important point:

Quote from STCC licence page :Overtaking
When overtaking, the car on the inside must achieve ‘significant overlap’ with the car on the outside in order to have the right to the corner. Significant overlap is defined as the front of the inside car being level with or beyond the rear edge of the front door of the outside car. This measurement is taken at the normal turn in point.

i looked about on the forum mate, and i couldnt find awt thats why i made a thread about it...... but cheers for that bit of info
Quote from niffer022 :sorry i should have made it more clear, say at begining of a race when lights go green, i set off he sets off,but if he get s a better start he will come over too my side just soo i cant get past, that cant be legal..

Can be, up to a point. Frequently called the Schumi Chop - just inside FIA regulations.

As for REPEATED weaving, no this isn't allowed. But if he does, make him weave so much he unsettles the car and spins, or loses speed, and then outdrag him. Use his noobiness to our advantage!
Quote from tristancliffe :Can be, up to a point. Frequently called the Schumi Chop - just inside FIA regulations.

As for REPEATED weaving, no this isn't allowed. But if he does, make him weave so much he unsettles the car and spins, or loses speed, and then outdrag him. Use his noobiness to our advantage!

i have started too do that. spec near corners so he slides right off track LOL still annoying spec when your on a good lap
#10 - Gunn
Even though you are allowed to make one defensive move, radical or repeated swerving is not allowed. If under a blue flag he can not defend at all.
lol, I can't imagine how blocking on straight could be an advantage. If someone swerves right in front of me, it's pretty sure that I'm ahead of him after the next corner. And vice versa, I can't imagine myself swerving all over the place, it would just give huge advantage for the guy behind. (Assuming he/she is not driving blindfolded)

If you can't pass, you're not fast enough

Though rule breakers (one line change and pulling back before every corner is allowed) should not afford to call anyone cheaters...
Why are they rule breakers if they return to their line Frokki? Most (all?) formula's allow that.
He says going back is allowed, but extra 'moves' aren't
#14 - JTbo
When changing line on straight is no more allowed?

Car at front of me is slower I move to side and my front is bit front of other rear bumper, am I resposible causing accident if car at front changes his line and crashes even I just drive straight?

I would say that changing line in such situation is mistake, changing line should be made before faster car has got so far, but I have always doubt my view of this case, maybe I'm wrong?

I block quite often, usually I need just one move as I block mostly at braking zone, some do hate it I'm sure, but it is efficient and legal, also relatively safe. Sure skilled drivers know how to counter attack a block :P
Going back is dangerous. I've always taken the one-move rule to mean that you can make one defensive move, and reassume the line once you arrive at the corner, assuming you are still entitled to do so, i.e you are still "ahead".

If someone is drafting up behind you, you cannot move to the right to defend the inside and then force him to brake by moving back to the left as he attempts to go to the outside of you. That's a block in my opinion. Even more dangerous when people do it in the braking zone.

If you elect to defend the inside line then you really should make sure there's room for a car on the outside as you hit the brakes, just common sense (imho).
Quote from sinbad :Going back is dangerous. I've always taken the one-move rule to mean that you can make one defensive move, and reassume the line once you arrive at the corner, assuming you are still entitled to do so, i.e you are still "ahead".

If someone is drafting up behind you, you cannot move to the right to defend the inside and then force him to brake by moving back to the left as he attempts to go to the outside of you. That's a block in my opinion. Even more dangerous when people do it in the braking zone.

If you elect to defend the inside line then you really should make sure there's room for a car on the outside as you hit the brakes, just common sense (imho).

thanks that is what i was on about, but with my lack of education i couldnt get the point across right
#17 - Gunn
The Australian Saloon Car series includes this rule in their code of conduct:

• More than one change of direction in the straight is deemed as BALKING!

and:

(iii) Curves, as well as the approach and exit zones thereof, may be negotiated by the drivers in any way they wish, within the limits of the track.
Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be done on either the right or on the left side. However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers such as premature changes of direction, more than one change of direction, deliberate crowding of vehicles towards the inside or the outside of the curve or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited and shall be penalized according to the importance and repetition of the offences, by penalties ranging from a fine to exclusion from the race. The repetition of dangerous driving, even involuntary, may result in exclusion from the meeting.
Quote from JTbo :Car at front of me is slower I move to side and my front is bit front of other rear bumper, am I resposible causing accident if car at front changes his line and crashes even I just drive straight?

I would say that changing line in such situation is mistake, changing line should be made before faster car has got so far, but I have always doubt my view of this case, maybe I'm wrong?

This is something I have been asking myself several times also, as it seems to happen to me rather often, sometimes with me being the one in front, sometimes with me being the one behind. When I'm in front approaching the turn and I'm not absolutely sure where the (faster) guy behind me is, I sometimes make a subtle move to the inside to find myself slightly nudging the competitor. And I do think that I probably should have made the move before any overlapping had occured. However, if the car behind has not achieved enough overlap at the turn in point, I would surely be the one entitled to take the ideal line which would mean, the guy behind is at fault in case of an incident. Right?

When I happen to be the one behind, I would usually move to the inside a little while getting alongside a bit in order to put pressure on the guy in front. However, I would leave a little room in order to have enough time to back off in case the driver in front attempts a blocking move. And if it turns out that I will not be able to achieve enough overlap in order to have the right of way through the corner, I would back off before the turn in point.

Anyway, I guees what I'm saying is, it seems to be a tough one to call if an incident happens. I'd be interested to hear what others think about this situation.
This is the first, and I hope last time I'm quoting myself...
Quote from frokki :Though rule breakers (one line change and pulling back before every corner is allowed) should not afford to call anyone cheaters...

Yeah, Tristan got what I meant - you can change your line once before every corner and switch back to original line if you want. More than that is rule breaking. I'm sorry for confuses I caused

@sinbad:
Even though CRC quidelines/rules (i have no idea of any IRL racing rules) haven't considered it, i have always thought that changing line during braking is, if not breaking the 'rules', at least very stupid.
Quote from JTbo :When changing line on straight is no more allowed?

Car at front of me is slower I move to side and my front is bit front of other rear bumper, am I resposible causing accident if car at front changes his line and crashes even I just drive straight?

That's pretty difficult. If he does that to crash you, he is guilty, if he moves because something on road, you can't consider anyone guilty, can't you? But in most cases, the one in the back is guilty.
Quote from JTbo :When changing line on straight is no more allowed?

imho all overlap rules in their usual form only matter at turn in ... anwhere else you dont have the right to cut into somebody elses line (by bumping into them if they dont yield that is)

but of course ive accidentally done it severaly times ... took out the whole field (nothing to be proud of it was only 3 cars) on sams lfr server a few days ago
Another option is to get right behind the guy, the bumpdraft GENTLY down the straight. back off before the braking zone begins. This way, the driver, if not as skilled, will run wide due to the excess speed. If the leading car is more skilled, they won't be blocking in the first place and the situation wouldn't start to begin with.

In short, the more skills you have, the more options you have to get past other drivers.
Quote from PAracer :Another option is to get right behind the guy, the bumpdraft GENTLY down the straight. back off before the braking zone begins. This way, the driver, if not as skilled, will run wide due to the excess speed. If the leading car is more skilled, they won't be blocking in the first place and the situation wouldn't start to begin with.

In short, the more skills you have, the more options you have to get past other drivers.

I disagree on all three counts.

1. Bump-drafting should not be allowed, imho. At least not unless both parties agree on it.
2. If the leading driver is skilled but slower than the one behind, he will be "blocking" legally by making his car as wide as possible in order to avoid being overtaken.
3. At least in public pick-up races whether you attempt an overtake or not should also be determined by the skill of the driver that is in front and maybe less skilled than the one behind. Therefore the disagreement on the bump-drafting. (Of Course, it's in general still true that you have more options the more skilled you are.)
Quote from Linsen :
1. Bump-drafting should not be allowed, imho. At least not unless both parties agree on it.

Why?
Lag issues?
For one thing, yes... Also, as it is done now, it's just ramming the person in front (not so hard though), which would only break both cars, if we had a proper damage simulation or even aero-affecting damage...

(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG