The online racing simulator
Do you get nervous racing LFS?
(67 posts, started )
Yeah, I get nervous too, but the nerves turn into such a positive when I puill off a great overtaking move and end up on a huge buzz. Oddly, I get more nervous playing LFS online than playing in my band in front of a few hundred people!
I was always a little nervous at the start of every OLFSL race I took part in (my only league experience). But it usually went away after the first few turns and only sometimes came back during very hairy moments. Or sometimes towards the end of a race, when I saw the racer behind me closing in lap by lap . Actually in those cases I even get nervous in public pickup races. And I even screwed up because of that a couple of times in the last turn of the last lap and lost a place or more. Probably the most annoying thing that can happen to you
I already said a bit earlier, but I'll comment again on something else. I've only done 2 leagues in LFS (in all my sim racing, actually). Yes, I was nervous at race starts, more so in the first league I had ever done. That league was comprised of several servers and each server ran equivilent times to their server competition. The second league was only a handful of people (15 or so) and I wasn't nearly as nervous. That was more because I had known that the majority were GTR (the sim) guys and was only using LFS briefly waiting for GTR2. There were a few LFS veterans, but they were minority.

Once in the swing of things with league racing, it was chill time. I would get in a rythm where it was just cruising along. Then as the laps wore down, and the folks ahead started to get closer, the heat came on again.

The big thing I had with league racing, is both leagues was late in the evening (finish around 11:00-11:15 pm). There was no way I was going to bed for quite a while after league racing. I had tried for the first few races, and just lay in bed, heart still racing, mind still going over the race lap by lap, what I did wrong, what others did wrong that I could have taken advantage, etc. That was the biggest thing for me, especially with the league divided up between a few servers. That one was Sunday night, and 5 am Monday morning is time to get up, so I wouldnt get much sleep.
Quote from banshee56 :About 1/3 through, I got into a heated battle and that made me sweat profusely, so much so that it was interfering with my vision.

I've had that happen once! In the Cadet Classic (XFG) I got into an almost race long back & forth battle with GianniC (60 laps, probably 50 of which were battling). I thought I was going to die that race, and sweat so much that I couldn't see properly sometimes and kept forgetting to breath in the corners - mostly because much of the time we were a couple of feet apart. Even when I pitted (8 laps after GianniC), as I came out of the pits, I was immediately back in battle again! Then on lap 58 we were battling for 2nd place. I made a move to the inside of the downhill chicane (there WAS room) and he clipped my rear quarter panel slightly when he came across. I went into the dirt, but wound up a few meters in front despite the "incident". Had I kept racing normally I would've likely kept my 2nd place (20 car server! woo!) but what happened was as I braked for the final bend, the "incident" had rattled me so bad that I forgot what I was doing. Somehow I missed the downshift from 4th to 2nd (ran full manual clutch / h shift that race; almost killed my left ankle) and wound up in neutral, than I hit the gas and was confused by the revving, then I hit second but DIDN'T clutch, and basically just messed myself up like an idiot because I got so flustered. Well, I ran wide on that last turn, and got passed by GianniC and the other fellow who was on our bumpers the whole time (... I forget who that was now...). So I took my 4th and was happy but dissappointed with such a thing to happen on lap 58/60. GianniC apologized about the tap, but if I could've collected myself after that the finish would've been spectacular.

Quote from manintightpants :Yeah, I get nervous too, but the nerves turn into such a positive when I puill off a great overtaking move and end up on a huge buzz. Oddly, I get more nervous playing LFS online than playing in my band in front of a few hundred people!

LOL, I know what you mean. The largest crowd I've played for was 1150 people, and I was not that nervous about that compared to some races.
Im not Nervous i would say. But i get a tingle every time i overtake. I love that feelin'

Go LFS, HUHUHUHUHHUHUHU
Nerves ?

Hell no, I'm always last so no need to be nervous at all !
However, sometimes I tend to be nervous when I think of not making it to the finish, or when someone laps me yet another time..

usually Im not nervous, but if I overtaking someone (in same hard situacion) or when Im near my opponent and "waiting for his breaks" im littlebit nervous...
it doesn´t happen happen too often that i get nervous nowadays...
i rather get angry. :/
Quote from mrodgers :
The big thing I had with league racing, is both leagues was late in the evening (finish around 11:00-11:15 pm). There was no way I was going to bed for quite a while after league racing. I had tried for the first few races, and just lay in bed, heart still racing, mind still going over the race lap by lap, what I did wrong, what others did wrong that I could have taken advantage, etc. That was the biggest thing for me, especially with the league divided up between a few servers. That one was Sunday night, and 5 am Monday morning is time to get up, so I wouldnt get much sleep.

Nice one, Mike. I know it was Sunday night, but still, helping to deal with this experience is pretty much what beer is designed for.
i get nervious the rare opportunities that i ever get out in first place.

sometimes i swear lfs has a option somewhere to make first places car more sketchy. ketchup mode or something.
Yes
I get this feeling when i have a 1 on 1 battle with someone.

I think it happens because it is so exciting and tense when you are trying to pass the opponent while do a drift and also racing for the win.

Sometime I feel i'm about to have a heart attack because of the situation i'm in, just from racing a close, tight battle against another racer.
In Performance Bike magazine recently, they stuck a heart monitor on one of the Phase One (endurance team) riders - I don't think his heart rate went below 163bpm for the entirety of his stint on track. But maybe that's just indicative of the physical exertion and the state of awareness that's required for racing.

I'm kind of used to driving in the middle of the pack, so its only when I find myself upfront that I get nerves. Its counter-productive: you find yourself in a new situation; you say to yourself, "OK, now don't screw this up; so the first thing that happens is you screw it up

Its a version of target fixation. Racing is all about peripheral vision - once you get get stuck on foveal vision, its not going to end well. Where you look is where you'll go, and if you're looking at someone's rear end as you chase them down - odds on you'll hit them in a slow corner. Same thing with new-situation-nerves: concentrate on not making a mistake, and the mistakes will come thick and fast.

The more often you experience the situation, the more time you will be able to give yourself to respond to problems.
Yeah, me too. Im always nervous when someone wants to race it out with me 1 on 1, or when someone is watching me race. When im at the grids in the STCC server, waiting for the red lights to turn green, im always shaking from head to toe. My palms get sweaty as my hand clutches the mouse and presses hard on the accelerator button. Im always very worried during the start of the race (The 1st lap) Bcos im using a mouse and i cant brake lightly. This always makes me get out of the racing line for fear that my sudden braking might cause someone to get banged out of the race. As im nervous, i tend to miss braking spots and this usually results in eating wall or doing 360s on grass.
Well I only have to say that my heart is in my throat even when I am doing Hot Laps or Singleplayer.
I guess experience plays a big role in this.
#65 - bhs
I totally lose my shit everytime I load up a track. Yesterday I ended up hotlapping FOX on BL1 all day trying to get under 23:50 1st split. When I did it I jumped out of my chair and smashed into a wall. When I sat down feeling like an idiot I realized my legs, arms, eyes, hands and feet were sore as all get out and I had run t1 over 100 times. So what did I do? Go outside? Eat something? I logged on Redline Racing and watched diK pull 1:07's and started the cycle over again. I love this game.
I get nervous at the begining, but since I am slow, my greatest strength is being able to find the nervous drivers in front of me, or the ones who drive while looking backwards; all I need to do is keep pressuring them without touching them and they are sure to make a mistake, usually braking too late and going wide.
Quote from jayhawk :I get nervous at the begining, but since I am slow, my greatest strength is being able to find the nervous drivers in front of me, or the ones who drive while looking backwards; all I need to do is keep pressuring them without touching them and they are sure to make a mistake, usually braking too late and going wide.

I'm slow too.

Do you get nervous racing LFS?
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG