The online racing simulator
Standing Starts With FXR
(5 posts, started )
Standing Starts With FXR
Hey,

I've been on LFS for months now, but have continually neglected to ask about my strange experiences with starts with the FXR. In short, my starts are slow as hell.

My normal procedure for starts in all cars is as follows:

As my car appears on the grid, I turn the wheel to full lock in both directions and fully depress both pedals to ensure calibration (I use a Logitech Momo black). As the first set of lights comes on, I rev the engine to just below redline and hold it there. When the final set of red lights come on, I slowly start to increase the throttle in anticipation of green. As soon as it hits green, I floor the throttle - if it isn't already floored.

This procedure works well in all cars except for the FXR. When it drops into 1st gear, for some reason the revs drop almost to idle when they should stay high. The result is that I get away very sluggishly. All the other cars blow past me and I end up starting at the back of the pack no matter my starting position.

I use a modified Setup Field set. It's geared to only use 1st gear from a standing start; all hairpins no matter how slow use 2nd. Is this a characteristic of the car or just this setup? Is it normal to not use 1st? Is this my problem, or am I just doing something wrong with this car?
yes its sometimes normal not to use first, i hate it when its so low that going into turns it destroys your engine and you spin out (or nearly spin) because of it

as for the start, it takes the WHOLE time for the turbo to build up pressure, so if you want to keep up with everyone else you have to floor the gas at the start and keep it down

no need to "calibrate" every race... that doesn't do anything at all, the wheel is already calibrated
#3 - amp88
The perfect launch technique for the FXR is a simple one. As soon as you find yourself on the grid floor the throttle and hold it there. By free-revving the engine to maximum revs you build the turbo boost pressure up so that when the green light comes on you get a slight amount of wheelspin and a very quick launch. It's possible to hit 60 in roughly 2 seconds with this 'technique' - it's one of the quickest cars in the game off the line.
Quote from XCNuse :
no need to "calibrate" every race... that doesn't do anything at all, the wheel is already calibrated

Well, unfortunately that isn't true for me. Sometimes during a race when I have to make a snap correction, my wheel can't 'keep up', I guess is the term, and does not re-center correctly. The net result of this is that I have to keep the wheel at an angle to make the car go in a straight line. If I turn the wheel lock-to-lock after one of these snap corrections, it will fix itself. I do this at the beginning of the race just to make sure everything's gravy.

And thanks for the help with the turbo boost problem guys.
then is your "lock calibration" turned on?

Standing Starts With FXR
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG