The online racing simulator
Enough for S2 full?
(20 posts, started )
Enough for S2 full?
I am (optimistically) thinking that with S2 full, there would be some graphics changes, to the interiors, to the models, maybe tracks etc.. so i don't think that i could play LFS normally with my current sytem:
Barton 2500+
512 ddr 400 ram
Asus Radeon 9550 GE

... so i am planning on upgrading my computer... only LFS can make me do that , and i hope that it WILL make me do it, because i really expect some graphic changes..
Anyway, will it be enough that i only upgrade my graphic card and my memory..?
I was planning some graphic card for about 120 euros... and another 512 ddr memory, so 1 gig in total...
Will that be enough? I know that you also don't know how these graphics changes would be(if any), so it is a bit stupid question, but aproximately, will this be enough, i mean, to stay on my NF2 motherboard and AMD Barton 2500, and only upgrade graphic card and memory?
Thanks..

PS. Maybe a litlle sugestion for Eric and Scawen, if they are planning to do some graphic changes.. maybe there should be an option like "new graphics" and "old graphics" so people who can't play with new graphics can switch to the normal LFS with one click...
Quote from Boris Lozac :I am (optimistically) thinking that with S2 full, there would be some graphics changes, to the interiors, to the models, maybe tracks etc.. so i don't think that i could play LFS normally with my current sytem:
Barton 2500+
512 ddr 400 ram
Asus Radeon 9550 GE

... so i am planning on upgrading my computer... only LFS can make me do that , and i hope that it WILL make me do it, because i really expect some graphic changes..
I was planning some graphic card for about 120 euros... and another 512 ddr memory, so 1 gig in total...
Will that be enough? I know that you also don't know how these graphics changes would be(if any), so it is a bit stupid question, but aproximately, will this be enough, i mean, to stay on my NF2 motherboard and AMD Barton 2500, and only upgrade graphic card and memory?
Thanks..

PS. Maybe a litlle sugestion for Eric and Scawen, if they are planning to do some graphic changes.. maybe there should be an option like "new graphics" and "old graphics" so people who can't play with new graphics can switch to the normal LFS with one click...

Err, Boris, why not wait for it first? How do you know what the system requirements will be? What if they'll be the same/a bit higher? Well, :lfs: currently runs on computers with no dedicated GFX card at all, so I think it's a bit too early to begin worrying about an upgrade just for :lfs:

PS What the heck is a Barton?

PPS Sorry if i dont make sense, its 5:57 in the morning and i had no sleep
Quote from Funnycat :...Well, :lfs: currently runs on computers with no dedicated GFX card at all, so I think it's a bit too early to begin worrying about an upgrade just for :lfs:

OewOew!!! Here! Onboard graphics FTW!!!!
Quote from Funnycat :Err, Boris, why not wait for it first?

Well, it's not JUST for LFS, sorry , it's also for PES6(Pro Evolution Soccer 6) which worked fine until i aplied some patch, and now it stutters.. and the patch is so good that i don't want to return to "default" PES.

Quote from Funnycat :
PS What the heck is a Barton?

It's an AMD Athlon XP limited edition processor called "Barton", the Sampron came after it.. Barton was so good and had/has great overclocking possibilities, and could be clocked to a speed of much expensive CPU-s, so they pulled it out of production.. I was lucky to grab one of the last series.. It also has 512 kb L2 kache.. a great processor really...
Barton wasn't really limited edition, it was just the last and greatest of the Athlon XP line with the full 512KB L2 cache. The thing is it was more expensive to manufacture than the previous core, Thoroughbred. That is why Thoroughbred was used for the Socket A variants of the Sempron line instead of Barton.

Until this past August when I built my current Core 2 Duo box, I had an Athlon XP 3000+ (2.1GHz) with the Barton core.
If you are really that worried, you are better off waiting anyway, as prices will always go down, so whether you need an upgrade for S2 Final or not, you will save money by waiting for it. I don't beleive much will change, if your rig runs it fine now, then you shouldn't have a problem with S2 Final.
Quote from Boris Lozac :PS. Maybe a litlle sugestion for Eric and Scawen, if they are planning to do some graphic changes.. maybe there should be an option like "new graphics" and "old graphics" so people who can't play with new graphics can switch to the normal LFS with one click...

+1000.

I would also like to be able to play LFS as long as possible with my stone-age PC system.
Quote from zeugnimod :+1000.

I would also like to be able to play LFS as long as possible with my stone-age PC system.

I thought about this a bit more, and i see that this is not possible unfortunatelly..
Scawen said that graphics changes affects the game incompatibly, so they affect LFS world and replays, etc... so if you switched to "old graphics", you simply couldn't play with the "new graphics" people, as it wouldn't be compatible..

But as Dennisjr13 said, the changes probably will not be that big, maybe better interiors and more detailed car models, so our current systems should handle that i suppose..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I thought about this a bit more, and i see that this is not possible unfortunatelly..
Scawen said that graphics changes affects the game incompatibly, so they affect LFS world and replays, etc... so if you switched to "old graphics", you simply couldn't play with the "new graphics" people, as it wouldn't be compatible..

But as Dennisjr13 said, the changes probably will not be that big, maybe better interiors and more detailed car models, so our current systems should handle that i suppose..

In other games you can adjust resolution, details, shadows, viewing distance when your graficscard can't do the job. You can allready change resolution, don't know about the other things but if graphics get fancy i think it's not more then normal you can make them worse to match your pc

For me it still works fine at an XP 2000+, with 750 memory and a Radeon 9500 (@9700)
CPU limitation
Only upgrading RAM and the gc will give you some more performance, but you have to bear in mind that a new gc has to be fed by a fast cpu.

I had to overclock my 3200+ from 2 Ghz to 2,4 Ghz to get my 7800 GT running the way it should do. Before I had 45 FPS in Farcry, as much as with my 6600 GT, after overclocking 75 FPS.

If you want to spent 120 € for the gc, wait a little more, and get yourself a 7800 GT or even an 7800 GTX and don´t forget about the cpu performance.

If you don´t want to wait, the 7600 GT is a good choice, unless you don´t plan do play Crytek in 1600x1200!

I don´t know much about ATI, so I really can´t give you any advice about their cards.
I hope I wont start close to you in Stock Hatch League then...
I have AA/AF on high and I get 70fps on a full grid.
Quote :I have AA/AF on high and I get 70fps on a full grid.

So should we worship you now?
Please!!
worshipped! I don´t need 70 FPS, cause I´ve got a TFT. 120 FPS? 60 are perfect for me.
I used to have a similar system so here is my suggestion.

More FPS without spending much cash:

1. Clock that processor it should easily go 10 - 15% faster on air, upgrade your cooler if needed.

2. Get an X700/800 cheap off ebay, good performer for the money.

3. Optimise your OS by disabling some of the eye candy in Windows & tweak the graphics settings in LFS (LOD's, smoke etc).

You should be looking at 80 - 90 FPS without breaking the bank
Quote from Boris Lozac :I am (optimistically) thinking that with S2 full, there would be some graphics changes, to the interiors, to the models, maybe tracks etc.. so i don't think that i could play LFS normally with my current sytem:
Barton 2500+
512 ddr 400 ram
Asus Radeon 9550 GE

Thanks..

Yup You can run it.

(I have a system similar to your's)

But it's not very powerful with fps going down to 15 when in full grid.
Hi Boris,

if you are worried only about peformance in LFS then you dont need mega graphic card at all.I had before NVIDIA 6600(non GT version) and my FPS is still same with 7900GT running at 7950GT speeds.The only difference I could go from 4xAA+8AF to 8xAA+16AF without FPS drop.

LFS is heavily CPU limited.If you want to have better FPS then you have to either overclock your CPU a lot or buy new system with AMD X2 processors or Intel C2D processor.

I would wait with buying new system untill autumn as at this time AMD should come with new line of processors which will probably beat C2D beats so you will get eitther better peformance from AMD or lower price for C2D processor.Still if LFS only concern you then 1GB of memory is fine(If I would plannning to buz new system again for some longer time then I would buy 2GB of ram).7600GT(around 100-120euros) should be enought for LFS as well.

Hope this help you a bit.
#19 - Jakg
Quote from Branden3113 :Just buy a new system They you can lay like evreything

if he could do that do you think he would be asking?
#20 - robt
well you wont need the extra ram, when i checked (using ctrl+alt+del) lfs only used about 200mb but the CPU will be the thing holding you back from what i can see (As is my lil old athlon 2400xp)

Enough for S2 full?
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG