The online racing simulator
Places to buy good, cheap, computer systems
I have been tasked with buying 2 new computer systems for our drawing office.

Basically we need as good a system as possible, without a monitor, something like a Pentium 3.4Ghz, 2GB of Ram, 250GB HDD, GFX card is not a priority (although it would be a bonus for a bit of tea-break LFS fun ) .

I have a budget of £600 per system, and we will be getting 22" widescreen LCD's next month, so if anyone knows of any good 22" LCD's then I would be interested in that too.

Any suggestions?, I would prefer NOT to buy parts, I have been told they need to be built boxes.
most computer shops could knock you up a system for that...... just pop in and get a quote
Something specific like, Dell (eppp) would be preferable.
#4 - Davo
Check out the Dell PrecisionTM 390. Can be had from 599 pounds and seems right up the alley.

Businesses usually get a discount so you can probablky upgrade something and it'll work out costing the same.
Quote from danowat :Something specific like, Dell (eppp) would be preferable.

DAN

Try Dell Outlet!!
Goto main Dell web page but look for Outlet shop, its all their old stock at much cheaper prices!!
I get a discount on Dell! We (at work) supply packaging for some of their systems. My discount is fantastic. I pay at least $35 MORE with my discount than you can buy for straight off the website!

From what I have seen here at work, exclusively Dell, I wouldn't even pay $35 flat out for a Dell.
#7 - Davo
You'd go to your local corner pc store and choose one of their budget systems? Dell have great pcs and even better service. Something goes wrong they can help and fast, which is important in business. I've used dells at work and they're normal pcs, nothing wrong with em. In fact I recommend them to business customers, even home consumers that don't have much pc knowledge are better off with a dell than a yum cha pc.
Quote from Davo :You'd go to your local corner pc store and choose one of their budget systems? Dell have great pcs and even better service. Something goes wrong they can help and fast, which is important in business. I've used dells at work and they're normal pcs, nothing wrong with em. In fact I recommend them to business customers, even home consumers that don't have much pc knowledge are better off with a dell than a yum cha pc.

You get better Quality from a Corner PC store (asumming they are good and not going to rip you off) Then you would from dell.

Dell likes to use special parts for their computers so lets say something dies inside your computer, like a Powersupply you Cant go to your local Computer store and pick one up and slap it in your PC, it just wont work. So then dell gets to charge whatever they want for the parts.

Not to mention I would like to speak to somebody that can speak english without any problems and now have my phone call sent to India to get help with my PC thats in another part of the world.

Its just like all the other big companies like HP/Compaq/gatway etc etc Work on them yourself and you will know exactly what im talking about, its all Cheap Parts and Bad designs so then people like me have to deal with them crap

If you can get it Custom Built so much better!

Ciao
#9 - Davo
I've opened up a dell and found it have normal parts, maybe the PSU was different but everything else was normal. It lacks some expansion but it also depends on the model you get. Just because it has custom parts doesn;t make it crap anyway, there's not much you can do to an Apple yourself because it;s all custom, but they're great pcs.
Quote from Davo :I've opened up a dell and found it have normal parts, maybe the PSU was different but everything else was normal. It lacks some expansion but it also depends on the model you get. Just because it has custom parts doesn;t make it crap anyway, there's not much you can do to an Apple yourself because it;s all custom, but they're great pcs.

But apple is different, you can tell its different not only buy just looking at it but at the price. You pay premium for it because its actually good quality parts. Dell on the other hand why do you think you can get a decent pc for so CHEAP. Because of the parts inside.

Like I have said before, if you have worked on a bunch of them you will know what I mean. & why is it that have to go to dell for a Powersupply or something? thats not right I should be able to buy parts whereever I want. I have seen dell go so far as to Weld their MBs to the case just so that you cant upgrade it.

Ciao
There was a website I was browsing awhile ago that sold Dell replacement power supplies (not from Dell) for pretty cheap prices and up to 550W .
Quote from bryanviper :You pay premium for it because its actually good quality parts.

the number of incredibly stupid design issues that apple PCs have... you wouldn't believe.

some have nice details, like a sturdy case, or good CPUs (except G5. Fast, granted, but otherwise worthless.) but as a whole they are nothing out of the ordinary.

it's not like apple hires the super hardware designers and intel hires hobos.

what apple does is pay product designers more.

anyway, for 600 you can get quite a system.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... duct.php?prodid=FS-036-OK

i would avoid last gen P4s (prescotts) as they are very power hungry.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG