The online racing simulator
Setup sharing and tracks.
(19 posts, started )
I'd like to see when you get a setup from another racer that once you save it in the setup name field it also has a listing what track you were at when you got it. I have a few setups right now that I can't remember what track the car setup is meant to be used at.

Have a suffix after the name you give the setup would be handy, similar to the replay naming that you can have a idea what track it was taken at.
#2 - bbman
Why don't you give the setup the appropriate suffix when you're getting it?
I have a lot of setups now, and after a while I can't remember what the track I am on is called. :/ I'm new to LFS. I've asked people before what the current track is called with no answers.
Quote from neglouseight :I have a lot of setups now, and after a while I can't remember what the track I am on is called. :/ I'm new to LFS. I've asked people before what the current track is called with no answers.

It tells you the track code when you query for your pb, so:

/w pb

You have to be in a car for it to work.

It would be nice if it was displayed prominantly someplace without having to do that.
My /w pb has allways been mapped to F8 so if yours isn't allready, set it to that and yes, you should be giving them proper names.

In demo it was fine, only really done 2 combos so giving them the name of the person you got it from was fine, but in S2, it sucks when you try to figure them out!
Maby setup could contain more info. Who did them, who modded them, and what they are for !?

A sort of logfile
Quote from alland44 :Maby setup could contain more info. Who did them, who modded them, and what they are for !?

A sort of logfile

+1, yes, the setups should contain this information, I can see no reason why it can't/doesn't do already
Yes, setup management could be much more organised in LFS, but I think we've been through that discussion several times already. Biggest points were one "info/notepad" area per setup and a folder-like system to group setups per track.
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, setup management could be much more organised in LFS, but I think we've been through that discussion several times already. Biggest points were one "info/notepad" area per setup and a folder-like system to group setups per track.

Fair enough saying it's already been mentioned, on that subject, does anyone think continual disscusion of topics like this bring the issue into the Dev's veiwpoint more?
#10 - Davo
Definately bring it to attention as a most wanted feature, the fact that's its sensible and not a NOS n NEONS, night driving and xrt needs more lock feature are great too.
Well, I guess constant bickering about a certain feature might move it up on the todo list by a few places if we're lucky, but the big plan won't be affected.
Quote from danowat :Fair enough saying it's already been mentioned, on that subject, does anyone think continual disscusion of topics like this bring the issue into the Dev's veiwpoint more?

I didn`t know that.

Could encryption of the author, be a new idea then
You know, you "stamp" the setup forever, with your name A bit like midifiles
What would be the use of that? Someone could simply copy all values over and pretend it's his setup
Quote from AndroidXP :What would be the use of that? Someone could simply copy all values over and pretend it's his setup

I had the same thougth, as I wrote the words. But if the date is one of the information, then he could prove his ownership to the setup.

There is advantages
If it's stored, it can be altered. And if it went by windows timestamping, there are programs like TouchPro that let you take full control of that.
Quote from Bob Smith :If it's stored, it can be altered. And if it went by windows timestamping, there are programs like TouchPro that let you take full control of that.

Maby it can point on an online database

Nay ! Now I`m far out
Irrelevant of the fact that it could technically be hacked, I like the idea. It would be nice to know who originally created a setup. And also a list of who altered it. And I imagine the vast majority of people wouldn't know how to hack it anyway

After some thought about the online database, I figure that would be too complicated. I imagine most setups are created and tested offline, so the game would need to either automatically upload all setup info when you connected (ouch) or prompt you to upload every time you make a change (annoying).
My idea isn't for all setups it only for setups you give to another racer. So Racer 1 gives Racer 2 a setup, Racer 2 types in the name for it they choose, but by default LFS puts in the track name your on as the suffix.

So days later when Racer 2 comes to practice on or offline he quickly can see that the setup he got what track it was meant for.

This isn't about your setup, or people changing it. Since once you give a setup more then likely the person you gave it to will change it slightly for themselves anyway. Your favorite setup, you probably wouldn't give out freely anyone.

I'd also like a check box to lock a setup, so you don't mistakenly change one. If a setup is locked you and you try to change it, you'd get a window telling you, you have to save a new setup.
hello I am new to LFS But been racing online since 93. The setups on one folder has confused me abit until i can get a good naming system down. I have always seen folder per track management work the best for sorting.

O and on topic yeah thats not a bad idea with more information in the setup when you recieve one.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG