The online racing simulator
EAX Demo
(25 posts, started )
EAX Demo
I was going to keep this under wraps, but I just couldn't help myself ! Here's one of the new features that will be in the new & updated LFS Companion in a couple of months time:

http://www.simtouringcartv.com/EAXDemo.wmv

Enjoy.
i dont suppose it helps not having a EAX surround sound setup (just 2 speaker headphones)

but i did hear the crowds in the background when you drove past.. but in reality you wouldnt beable to hear them at all..

the only thing you could hear is the engine of the car,..

maybe on the external views, like the flyby were the camera is situated near the crowd then i guess you can hear it.
Not all cars are as loud as F1's, drivers in most formula's dont even need ear plugs.
#4 - Jakg
i like it, hope you release it soon!
well to say i can only just hear ppl talkin through the window of my car when the engine is turned off i hardly doubt you would hear spectators 50 metres away with the engine on and having it near redline..
#6 - herki
Quote from Jakg :i like it, hope you release it son!

So you're the mother?

Quote from R3DMAN :well to say i can only just hear ppl talkin through the window of my car when the engine is turned off i hardly doubt you would hear spectators 50 metres away with the engine on and having it near redline..

You should know, people are far more noisy while cheering than when talking. Don't know how intense it is though, nobody cheered for my driving yet
#7 - Jakg
Ooops... Fixed!
Woohoo!

A new version of pitspotter

Would it be possible to have a car sound tweaking system implemented to the LFS companion? Something that mods the sounds by changing the engine size etc. within the LFS sound system (no performance gain, just different sounds)?

I bet many would like to see (or hear) this. I could make some skins for you if you implemented it
Sounds nice, though the crowd cheer needs to be toned down a lot, IMO. Maybe you could detect what car is currently being driven and apply some damping to the crowd, depending on the type of car?
EAX is always good, I like that. But I dunno about the other sounds though... Especially the crowd sounds...
I'm not replacing LFS' sound engine with an EAX one, i'm adding environmental sounds with EAX support, so you can drive past a stadium and hear the crowd cheer as it wizzes by. Of course the crowd only cheer when it's worth them cheering, also i've made the tannoy speakers work on various tracks - there's an example toward the end of the video. I'm going to do a few wildlife noises too, but only for the shift-u camera.

It does detect shift-u and that all works fine, non-shift-u cameras are all processed as if in car so the 'tv-cam' isn't too hot atm, I might change that but tbh I dont use it much myself so I may not - it depends what is involved when I look at the issue.

The video is only stereo and I think I have the left & right crossed on it, the volumes are different now too, and are going to change again before release when I make the incar camera a little quiter.

So far I have done 3 tracks, Blackwood, Fern Bay and Westhill - so obviously the system is a fair way from being released still.
I like the idea, but at the mo it sounds like you're driving through the deal or no deal studio

Think the crowd needs to sound a bit more meaty and maybe add a few air horns which are always at MS events hehe

Good work though, EAX for lfs is so desirable
#13 - Vain
On one sample there's someone shouting "Whoo!" and he just sounds way too close. Otherwise I like it quite a lot. The horns and speakers create a good athmosphere. :go:

Vain
Quote :maybe add a few air horns

I hope ten unique air horns, independent of the crowd noise, is sufficient ?
Quote from Becky Rose :I hope ten unique air horns, independent of the crowd noise, is sufficient ?

*blasts the Dixie tune in agreement!?*
I guess the sound files will be editable? Confirm/Deny
#17 - SamH
What I'd really like, though realism doesn't exactly fit with this idea, would be a pitspotter-type thingymabob.. a proximity alert for cars around you. If a car's sitting at my rear left quarter, I'd like a tone beeping at me, coming from there. The closer they are, the more rapid the "ping".

It'd be worth buying the extra speakers if I had that!!
Quote : *blasts the Dixie tune in agreement!?*

Funnily enough, that's in there...
Quote :I guess the sound files will be editable? Confirm/Deny

They must be mono channel .wav's, at 22khz (very important as the software varies this on the crowd noise, other samples can be at any speed but crowd noise playback rate is set in software), crowd noise and tannoy must be loopable, supports any windows .wav codec (including .mp3 provided it is .wav encoded - as per current LFSC samples).
Quote from SamH :What I'd really like, though realism doesn't exactly fit with this idea, would be a pitspotter-type thingymabob.. a proximity alert for cars around you. If a car's sitting at my rear left quarter, I'd like a tone beeping at me, coming from there. The closer they are, the more rapid the "ping".

Well isnt that basically surround sound, being able to hear where the engine is?
Understand where your coming from though i hate going into a corner and hearing someone and not knowing where they are.
#20 - Jakg
Quote from SamH :What I'd really like, though realism doesn't exactly fit with this idea, would be a pitspotter-type thingymabob.. a proximity alert for cars around you. If a car's sitting at my rear left quarter, I'd like a tone beeping at me, coming from there. The closer they are, the more rapid the "ping".

so like a depth charge submarine system

I like it!
Sir, enemy vessel at 6 o'clock!
Fire the torpedoes!
1st miss
2nd miss
3rd hit
Sir, enemy vessel sunk!
...Host refused connection...
I'll be awaiting the release, looks excellent
I'm so glad to hear that you haven't totally abandoned LFS Companion. I still use it quite often and was actually thinking last night that I should put out a voice pack for it. Maybe now that I know you're still working on it I'll get off my butt and really release something.
Sounds nice

The incar messege reminds me of toca 2 :P

Already "kinda" done this by murdering most of pitspotters .wav files so I get a left and right "bleep" noise with a fairly frequent repeat rate. Not 3d granted, but better than a kick in the knackers

surround would be nice, although i'm quite happy with my 2 speakers

EAX Demo
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG