The online racing simulator
Formula 1
(65 posts, started )
Formula 1
surely an S3 thing hopefully, but i really want to see an F1 type car in LFS before its done. Especially with the option to have the additional spoilers that attach to the side pods for extra downforce

kinda makes since to have an F1 if we have 3 other formulas
F1!? pfft...

I'd much prefere to see a Champ Car or an Indy Car. Much more of a drivers car than an F1 car.
Well I have to say the worst set of races I come across are FO8 races, where people want all the power but can't control it well. 10 restarts per 10 lap race leaves me bored. F1 would be much worse than FO8 races, I reckon.
ya but when you get to F1.. i mean im sure some people that cant handle it would give up on it

keep in mind.. F1 does have traction control (ish) in it
Yeah, but LFS doesn't. How do you keep managing to come up with bad ideas XCNuse?

I'm sure something akin to Formula One will be in LFS at some point. I mean if you want, whenever we get LFSTweak for S2, just give the FO8 twice the power, that'll get you most of the way there. Assuming we tweak downforce settings, give it a load more as well. Now you're nearly there.

Of course it'll be hard to know what settings we'll be restricted to adjusting on just the demo cars. Less than before I'd imagine, but as long as we can do something with the new cars, I'm happy.

Getting a bit off topic now but I can't wait to try and re-create the 6500hp dragster I made, see if I can actually pull away without blowing the tyres.
cause i made all my good ideas when i first joined LFS lol

still have some good ones if you look back in RSC.. many of which have been brought up by multiple people too so..

plus how is an F1 a bad idea?
Not necessarily and F1 car but a car with F1 speeds. A single seater that could reach 350+ would be awesome.
#8 - ajp71
Historic F1 cars are a must, thinking 80s and before
Quote from XCNuse :ya but when you get to F1.. i mean im sure some people that cant handle it would give up on it

Yeah right, like the wrecking n00bs that give up on the FO8 you mean.......not. They don't give up, they just keep ruining other peoples races.
what are you trying to prove al? that just because some people ONLINE cant handle a car that it shouldnt be put in the game???? that makes absolutely no sense what so ever
Just that there are issues to be solved before we go about making things more chaotic.
One concern I have with F1 cars in online racing is that the amazing acceleration, braking and direction change causes problems even with small amounts of lag.

I've seen this in rF, where due to lag and the prediction used to best guess the competitor's behaviour, you see absurdly quick direction change, artificially reduced braking distances and floating cars (mostly on downhill sections). This seems to be where the 'real' rate of direction change was too quick for the predictive methods to cope with.

Also close racing was impossible on road courses due to the lag when the guy in front brakes. For a split second the car in front appears to be still accelerating and then it suddenly stops dead. Definitely a problem if the guy in front brakes earlier than expected, either because of them being a novice, braking for other cars themselves or just slight differences in driving style.

The netcode in LFS may be better (it's better in most other areas ) but I can still see it being a problem with cars with the performance of an F1 car. Even with the F08 I've only had good racing on the ovals where it's all about drafting. On the road courses it's had limited appeal for practice laps, but I've never got to the point where I've had a good race against other racers.

I'd much rather see F1-style cars from an era before the insane levels of downforce. Something with reasonable power but the grip and brakes are not too much for the netcode to handle.
Quote from ajp71 :Historic F1 cars are a must, I'm thinking 1967 and before

I have nothing to prove, XCN, but I'm continually disappointed by the chaotic driving of a lot of people in FO8 cars, who clearly cannot handle them, and just ruin other people's races.
If F1 cars are introduced, can you really see this improving?
To be honest, your reasoning about people not handling it 'deciding to give up' is the most ridiculous argument ever for justifying why LFS should have even more powerful cars. The best races are still UF1's!
Quote from al heeley :I have nothing to prove, XCN, but I'm continually disappointed by the chaotic driving of a lot of people in FO8 cars, who clearly cannot handle them, and just ruin other people's races.
If F1 cars are introduced, can you really see this improving?
To be honest, your reasoning about people not handling it 'deciding to give up' is the most ridiculous argument ever for justifying why LFS should have even more powerful cars. The best races are still UF1's!

agreed 100% on all counts!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with F1 if you have a field of talented F1 drivers. but all it takes is for 1 newbie to ruin the whole thing.

in most cases faster cars = less closer races

more opportunity for people to stuff up, lose control and take out other people, or simple end up in the sand trap voting to restart.

Now, where's the keys to my UF1
still... what about the people that dont race online?

lfs isnt just online you know;therefore, i dont see why things that happen online should have an impact on the offline experience

plus.. no one said you had to go on certain servers?

LFS is to be a real racing simulator is it not? .. of course.. so shouldnt it have cars for all types of racing? .. of course!
Quote from XCNuse :still... what about the people that dont race online?

lfs isnt just online you know;therefore, i dont see why things that happen online should have an impact on the offline experience

plus.. no one said you had to go on certain servers?

i really hope you are joking

if LFS is aiming to be the definitive offline experience i think the AI should be looked at first it can't even handle the F08
S2 isnt done

and LFS for sure isnt done at all its still got several years

common guys honestly.. your judging lfs by its online experience.. you cant do that, you judge it by gameplay
Quote from al heeley :Well I have to say the worst set of races I come across are FO8 races, where people want all the power but can't control it well. 10 restarts per 10 lap race leaves me bored. F1 would be much worse than FO8 races, I reckon.

Jeez! I gotta admire your persistance. !0 restarts? If it runs to 3 restarts I'm outta there!
Quote from XCNuse :S2 isnt done

and LFS for sure isnt done at all its still got several years

common guys honestly.. your judging lfs by its online experience.. you cant do that, you judge it by gameplay

Well there you go, you answered to your own suggestion, LFS has many years ahead and stuff to come. Online experience? This is Online Racing simulator, so why all happening online should not affect to your experience? Thing is thou that there isnt even V8 servers with road courses, only V8 oval madness, which tends to be litle boring. And litle offtopic, but servers could stop hosting all the cars...
I thought the FO8 would be really fun to race online... but I have found that to be extremely fast, you need to be a skilled driver... thus making the competition very uneven. I see a lot of road course FO8 races that end up to be very scattered and/or not even a close race. If you get lucky, join a server full of people that know what they are doing and race close.... that'll be the day!!!

And even more so, like Al has been explaining, there is no point to even TRY to have a good race with the FO8 because amateur or noob drivers are always crashing at the start and calling for a restart... restart... restart. No fun in that.

Formula 1 would make the FO8 obsolete and twice as desirable to drive, they would never give up on it. I personally wouldn't like to see an F1 car released by the devs... I am way more satisfied with saloon cars, rally cars (We should be shouting to have this!!!! way more fun!!!), go-karts, etc....

I haven't raced the FO8 for a long time... last time I raced it was like a few weeks after S2's release. All it is now is just stupid FO8 oval servers with bogus setups -- I don't want to go there. The FOX is more fun though, and THAT is where I draw the line in my open wheel racing, can't get any better than that probably .
I wouldn't be to happy about F1 either. Rally Pack and go-karts instead, please.

Edit: and, of course, tracks for go-karts.
To have a good race with FO8 or similar cars, you have to participate into a league.

I have never had a good FO8 race into a public server. My best races were allways in a league, where people train theirselves and the day of the race, nobody is crashing at the first lap.

So I want a F1 car too, maybe I will not have good races on public servers, but In leagues, I will.
I would have thought come S3 something like a F1 car would be only natural. I can't see any real reason not to include one at some point, in S1 we had the LX6, in S2 we've got the FO8, in S3 it'll be something else.

Formula 1
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG