The online racing simulator
Long race disconnections ...
(14 posts, started )
We make two hours races on line. Most of the time 25% of players are disconnected before the end of the race. This is very frustrating because if you reconnect you cannot join the race again on the lap you leaved but you have to restart from lap 0.

A great improvement could be that ( as an option from admin ) if you re-join a race after been disconnected at lap X you can restart the race from the pits at let's say lap X-1.

I don't know if this is technically possible but in my opinion this would be a great improvement when you run long races.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#2 - Gunn
It sounds like the server cannot handle the load. Try reducing packets per second or limiting the number of connections that can join. It could also be the fault of the ISP, they all have their bad times even if they like to hide that fact.

What kind of ping do the disconnected racers have? Are they geographically far away from the server?
I am an admin for the AAL and this is very important that we have the ability for disconnected racers to be able to rejoin from the pits on the same lap that they were disconnected. It is not an issue of fairness as they will always lose some time even rejoining on the same lap. We are running a 3hr event next week with a compulsory driver change, dealing with disconnected racers is going to be a major headache.
It is possible in other sims but of course I don't know how difficult it would be to implement in LFS but if any devs read this then please at least consider this as it would help us a great deal.
Most of disconnections are due to ADSL problems, not servers. The disconnection can last one minute, just the time to reconnect and join the race again.
Quote from Johannes :Most of disconnections are due to ADSL problems, not servers. The disconnection can last one minute, just the time to reconnect and join the race again.

I dont think Johannes is getting the point here.
#6 - Woz
Quote from tailing :I am an admin for the AAL and this is very important that we have the ability for disconnected racers to be able to rejoin from the pits on the same lap that they were disconnected. It is not an issue of fairness as they will always lose some time even rejoining on the same lap. We are running a 3hr event next week with a compulsory driver change, dealing with disconnected racers is going to be a major headache.
It is possible in other sims but of course I don't know how difficult it would be to implement in LFS but if any devs read this then please at least consider this as it would help us a great deal.

It should not be that bad for full S2 servers because LFS knows exactly who each player is. So when they disconnect it would just cache there details for a couple of minutes so if they reconnect it still has all the info required to let them start from the pits on the correct lap.

There is no way this can be used as a cheat because you will have to start the lap again from the pits so you will lose any of the lap you have already completed etc.

This is something that IS required for long races because it does not matter how good your connection is your connection will have issues every now an again. This is just the nature of the internet.
is it a french problem? because during the MoE race the french drivers had many disonnections as well.
Seems like you need to improve your infrastructure over there. 25% discos is way more than usual.
In the german ESL races we have max. 1 disco in a one hour race, and in 99% it's a client problem.
#8 - Woz
Quote from inCogNito :is it a french problem? because during the MoE race the french drivers had many disonnections as well.
Seems like you need to improve your infrastructure over there. 25% discos is way more than usual.
In the german ESL races we have max. 1 disco in a one hour race, and in 99% it's a client problem.

Where the disco comes from is not the issue. The nature of the internet means that disconnection is a fact of life. So why are people so opposed to the idea? Most of the time you are routing through 10+ computers BEFORE you reach your destination and so there is a weak link.
#9 - Gunn
Quote from Woz :Where the disco comes from is not the issue. The nature of the internet means that disconnection is a fact of life. So why are people so opposed to the idea? Most of the time you are routing through 10+ computers BEFORE you reach your destination and so there is a weak link.

I don't think they are opposed as such. They are suggesting that there may be less disconnections if the server or clients were capable and configured correctly. 25% disconnections means something is very wrong. This may be correctable.
Its not very often that we have a disco but it does happen on occasion and most the time its not the users fault. although from time to time it is.

If we just had a safeguard there so that during a endurance event eg 3hr if the internet falls over you can rejoin and not start on lap 0. Especially if you D/C in the last hour.

As its mentioned, it is a feature on most other race sims.
Last season I could only finish half of the races because of disconnections.
We also have racers that are still connected with RTC and they also would appreciate this feature...

This is our last league race
http://lfsfrance.servergamers. ... dcourse=40&idligue=10
PF means not finished (disconnected) !
6/20 couldn't finish the race because of disconnections.

Hope admin reads the post from time to time ...
I've lot of disconnections too.
This fact makes me stop to play LFS sometimes because I'm too disappointed. I loose lot of races only because I loose connection before the finish line.

I've Free.fr which is disconnected every ten or twenty minutes, and I've also Wanadoo which is a little bit more stable. But with Wanadoo I've a bad Ping and the host oftently asks me to get out or simply kicks me from the server.

So in fact I can't make seriously a league because I'm almost sure to be in the last points because I couldn't finish all races.

--

SteF from the French community has made a little soft which saves laps, position and time on a web page. If you're disconnected, you can start again from pits with your laps saved on the web page. The games says you none lap but when you cross the line the soft writes during few seconds your position, laps, times...

So it's possible.
Please Think about the players who haven't stable connections.

Thank You !
Well today we raced the 7 season race in the ESL ESCC. I've got disconnected in lap one of the sprint race. Was rather unfortunate as it meant that i've got no points for that one. Also kramer008 got disconnected in the same second. Was my first diconnection. In main race then all went good, no disconnects and i must admid i haven't seen that much disconnects by now. it's always 1 or 2 drivers that got such a problem in the races and it's not always the same, and as by now it also doesn't seem to be a regional specific problem in this league. But i sure would like the idea mentioned here with saving you status.
Hi ! GotiKGotcha. I have free.fr too. Sometimes I can have a full day without disconnexions but I found out that there are more disconnexions around 9 to 10 pm. This maybe due to network been overloaded. I also found out that the problem increases. I didn't had so many disconnections two years ago.

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG