The online racing simulator
New Formula XR League, 3rd attempt...
(55 posts, started )

Poll : Which tracks should be included? Vote for as many as you like.

Closed since :
Blackwood GP
Westhill International
Fern Bay Gold
Kyoto National
South City Town
Aston Club
Aston National
Aston Historic
Kyoto GP Long
South City Long
Fern Bay Black
Aston Grand Prix
Fern Bay Green
#26 - CMU
I'm interested in racing, if you can put up my my mediocre pace. I guess every race needs midfielders

I haven't voted for tracks. I don't know their names well enough. If you have a good mix, with none of the monster long ones I'll be happy. Shorter tracks make for interesting if intense racing, as the leaders are always mingling with the backmarkers. There's skill in safely dealing with intermingling with slower traffic, and it can add an interesting element to racing.

I like the idea of qualifying to cut out the drivers that don't practice before an event, then crash into everyone at the first corner. Perhaps you should have a qualifying cutoff period say a day before the event. Anyone who hasn't put in an online PB below a cutoff gets swapped out for a reserve. Or, you have (say) 30 people in the league, but only the fastest 20 PBs get into the main race. I've only just thought of this stuff, so it might need some further thought yet...

In any online league, people will miss races for perfectly legit reasons. This should be planned for - you can't predict that your car is going to break down and stop you getting home for the race, say. Suppose the league is 10 races long, you could say that only your best 8 results count. That immediately chucks out the problem of missing the odd race, whilst still penalising missing lots. It can make it closer at the top too, when the end of the season comes. Ie, it's harder to run away with a league if you're the quickest. I ran a couple of GPL seasons like this a while back, and it was well received by the entrants.

In UKLFS, it seemed there was a problem with the slower guys not having appropriate setups or setup skills. How about making a reference setup from one of the quicker guys available at each track. You woulnd't be restricted to using it if you didn't want to, but it would be there if the only alternative you had was the default setup prodded at randomly. Lots of drivers couldn't care less about aquiring setup skills. Lots don't have time to fiddle much. If there was a setup made available that could do within a reasonable percentage of the WR time in the hands of the quick guys, the league becomes a proper driver test with no excuses about who has the best wing settings etc. It also might keep the chat channel clearer of comments like "Can I try UR set plz" during practice and qualifying.

No apologies made for length of post

EDIT: Preferred race times: Weekday evenings, 8pm or later. Earlier makes it hard for me to get back from work and make dinner in time for the start. Can't race on an empty stomach!
Thanks for the constructive post and good ideas, more ideas people they are needed!
I liked the UKLFS rules actually, even the schedule and times were pretty good. So tuesdays around 7 or 8 GMT would be the best for me. Mondays, wednesdays and fridays are my rl sport evenings (soccer/swimming) and at thursdays I'm participating in the LFS.NL.1 league (tho that's every other week, so this could be planned around it).

Thanks for your effort Josh trying to make this league work, I hope it does!

cheers,
Tuesday sounds good to me
I'd like to participate this league. All days nearly 20:00 GMT are good for me, except Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
Hi Josh,

Im not sure about anyone else but i would like to see where we have a 'sprint race' of say 10-15 laps and an 'main event' of say - 35+ laps (adjust for lenth of track) i hate the compulsary pits too, just make it so that not pitting would be difficult.

Best times for me are after 8pm weekdays or after 9 pm sundays

Im hoping that we are staying fox/fo8/gtr's

Maybe split the points into 3 leagues:

1) Sprint race championship
2) Long Race Championship
3) Combined Race Chamionship

That way people who just like sprint racing can have fun and people who like endurace can have fun and those who are addicted can get some relief

TroyMclure
Compulsary pit should definatly be there for the feature race imo.
No I think I will just make it so that it should be impossible not to pit since FoX carries barely any fuel anyway, then if ppl wanna go slow and use 0.5% less fuel/lap good on 'em!
Quote from FlintFredstone :Hi Josh,
Maybe split the points into 3 leagues:

1) Sprint race championship
2) Long Race Championship
3) Combined Race Chamionship

Good idea! And a team champ too...
#35 - th84
hey josh!! i would also like to race in this, but with me being on the other side of the pond it may be hard. will u be considering the people from the us and canada(among others over here) when u decide the race days and times? if u do, count me in i work mon-friday until around 6pm us eastern time, so anytime on the weekend or after 6pm during the week would be great. then again i know there arent many people on this side of the pond that are replying to this post, so whatever u work out ill see what i can do. cya mates (well mostly mates)
I have made a forum on the spdoRacing forums for the league and within you will find several polls regarding the format of the league! Pop on over and register*, vote in the polls, say hello etc.

Tuusita will make a signup form for the league soon and when that is available I will post here to say so.

*you can only vote in polls on our forum if you are a registered user so you need to register really. It only takes a minute anyway since I have disabled activation.

EDIT: lol forgot a link to the forum. Here it is.
i voted for bw gp, kyoto national and westhill, all awesome tracks in the fox

i would probably be interested in this league, depending on skill requirements (lol) and race length/time
I'm another guy from the 'New World' so unfortunately my only day available for this would be Monday @ preferrably 21:00 GMT.
I voted for:

BL GP
SO Long
FE Black
KY Long
WE International
AS Historic
Count me in
Day of the week doesn't really matter at the moment, but there's the odd chance I'll have other commitments in the weekend.

As for tracks I like the longer tracks.
#41 - eFX
Thurs->Saturday Evenings would be the best for my schedule, and like Tag Force I like the longer tracks.
sorry but i'm going to have to pull out, too much work and other league commitments. best of luck with the league though, hopefully i can make another season.
I recently raced the FOX on Kyoto GP Long, and man is it boring. That track is WAY too big for the FOX and all you have is just long periods between times you can actually catch up to someone. In other words, there are only a few turns that you could actually catch up, and the straights just leave you sitting there with no good battles with anyone. Really boring.

The FOX does well on tracks that aren't as big as Kyoto or Aston I think. Not saying you should cancel them out, but it is worth knowing how boring those tracks can be . (The FOX just feels too darn small and slow on the track to me).

South City, Westhill, Blackwood, and Fernbay are the good tracks for FOX.
If anyone wants to heck Josh's PC and give me all his setups I'd be most grateful...
lol i share my setups anyway :P since mostly they aren't mine. Everyone on the spdoRacing server pretty much has my blackwood gp setup since i think darkone and Troy still use it
Not just the BLGP one, but all of your setups for all of your cars :P
I only drive the FoX now! I only actually have a few sets too but you can have them if you like
lol Troy gave me the BLGP setup and said it was from Josh, I later realized all it was was Phlos' AS GP setup with low wing settings iirc
Ye i dont actually make any sets. All i can change is wings, tyres and brakes

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG