The online racing simulator
Quality Question...
(19 posts, started )
Quality Question...
I make my skins at 1024x1024. And take my previews at 1280x1024 in CMX or LFS. heres a picture I took in CMX and can you guys give opinions if the picture quality is good enoigh to be posting on a regular basis...
~Bryan~
looks fine from here
same here
KK thanks guys I just wouldn't want people going "OHEMEFGEEE tht qualite totali blowss lawl u n00b"
~Bryan~
1024 is the standard, but bigger is always better. I'd suggest going with 2048, but 1024 will work fine
Far better quality than I can produce in a screenshot.
Quote from mrodgers :Far better quality than I can produce in a screenshot.

1. Load CMX fullscreen
2. Set to highest 32bit resolution
3. Take Screenshot using FRAPS (Better quality then prntscreen)
4. Paste into GOOD image program (PS prefered)
5. Cut out menus or whatnot (Do NOT crop)
6. Resizee to half decent resolution while mantaining aspect ratio (I do 800x640)
7. Save as uncompressed .jpg

Those are the exact steps I use. Hope I helped...
~Bryan~
how is a program.. taking a picture with probably some compression... better than a lossless format?
your wrong with #3 there
Also, why not crop it? Cropping doesn't reduce the quality at all. Also, you can hide the menus by pressing the space bar I think it is.
I used to make my skins at 1024*1024 as well, but when I started using the Master Skinnerz kits I really liked the quality increase of 2048*2048 so I go with that now.

Also, if you're using PhotoShop, it's always best to save them using the Save For Web option. That way you get a higher quality shot with less fuzziness on edges and stuff. Particularly useful if you have a lot of small decals or narrow lines.
You can also save as file, then select jpg format. Set quality to 12 and a progresive scan 5 pass.

Anyway, all these methode are the same in fact.

The better is to try and find what you want. Test the diffrent saving technique and compare.
His steps he outlined for my benefit are completly wrong for me. Dropin_biking, I only have onboard graphics. Best resolution is 1152x768. That's why I said it's better than I can do . I play at 1024x768x16 with slight AA/AF. I can't be bothered to change everything just for a screenshot.
Lol, well, I wasn't saying those were direct rules. On my PC I get better image using FRAPS then using the print screen function, I guess cropping is personal opinion, But I see people with 1024x768 images, and crop it to like 800x600 and blow it back up to its original resolution.

Quote :His steps he outlined for my benefit are completly wrong for me. Dropin_biking, I only have onboard graphics. Best resolution is 1152x768. That's why I said it's better than I can do . I play at 1024x768x16 with slight AA/AF. I can't be bothered to change everything just for a screenshot.

Lucky, at least you have AA and AF. I can't do that ATM, so I just go without.
~Bryan~
Shift + F works in CMXviewer aswell
major bump, but i have a quick question...i made skins for uf1 and xfg, using gimp. they were 2048x2048, they looked pretty high quality (the actual quality not my skinning :razz then i downsized them for lfsworld, to 1024x1024 and someone said it was low quality...why is this? also does it need to be downsized in the lfsworld and the one i use? or can it be only the lfs world one? (baasically how do i get the best possible quality :shrug
Quote from logitekg25 :major bump, but i have a quick question...i made skins for uf1 and xfg, using gimp. they were 2048x2048, they looked pretty high quality (the actual quality not my skinning :razz then i downsized them for lfsworld, to 1024x1024 and someone said it was low quality...why is this? also does it need to be downsized in the lfsworld and the one i use? or can it be only the lfs world one? (baasically how do i get the best possible quality :shrug

The majority of people who see them online don't user 'high res' downloads so they only see a 512 version of your skin (which does look crap). 1024 is a little step up but if you really want people to see your skins in all their glory, send them the 2048 version.
i dont mean in-game...i sent through xfire and he was like "OHEMEFGEEE tht qualite totali blowss lawl u n00b" and i thought it was xfire, but he said no...and how do i upload to lfs world with the 2048 res?

please excuse my not so great skin
Attached images
UF1_logitek uf1.jpg
If they dont have any credits on their LFS account, then they can see only 512x512 versions of your skin online. You get best possible quality (for yourself online) by few simple steps.

1 - Lets assume you have some kind of car skin, you need to upload 1024x1024 version of it online.

2 - Delete your 1024 version from your skins folder and save 2048x2048 (or higher) version in the skins folder.

3 - Rename the 2048 (or higher) version to the 1024 version, you will be able to use your high res skin online, however others will still see the 512x512 version if they dont have any credits on their account.

If other LFS'sers do have some money on their account, they have the option to download 1024x1024 skins online, thus they cant get better quality, because you can upload only 1024x1024 skins on LFSworld.
alrite thankyou

now that i know i messed up (a little) and now have only 1024x1024 skins for 2 cars i will not do it again...now to practice skinning

Quality Question...
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG