The online racing simulator
Pedal Bounce & Calibration
(5 posts, started )
Guys,

I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but am interested if anyone else is seeing this.

In recent times I have been experiencing a decalibration issue with my brake pedal. My hardware is the Logitech DFP, with the latest drivers, using the ECCI6000 pedals. It has been stable, no issues, for almost 12 months. This is a recent issue.

What appears to be occuring is that if I release the pedal in such away as it does not stop moving smoothly, that is the physical movement of the pedal itself, resulting in a bounce in the pedal as it gets to 0%, the calibration for the brake pedal is lost slightly, resulting in about 5% application of the brake within the game.

If I then recalibrate within the game it is fine until the next time the bedal bounces upon being released.

Is anyone else seeing a decalibration issue as they release a pedal, possibly when the pedal bounces?

What else, Scawen, should I be looking at to see if it is an issue within the game?

What I have done so far is:
- Check all pots. All working fine.
- Check all drivers (confirmed as no change in many, many months).
- Adjusted brake pedal characteristics within Logitech driver, reduced sensitivity, increased dead zone, etc... No fix achieved.
I have a custom made wheel and pedals and I have the same problem with the brake-pedal. I only have this problem in LFS.
#3 - Gunn
It sounds like a typical Logitech pedal problem to me. There is no reason why LFS should have a problem with these pedals in particular, they are just a couple of pots with wires attached and there is little to go wrong apart from the usual dirty or failing pots or loose or broken wires.

When you say you have checked the pots and they are fine, what method did you use to check them please?
So you use the Logitech electronics for the pedals? I would say its well worth the cost to go for a better USB interface. ECCI has its own HD Ultra (etc etc) interface which is probably good, but better value (and quite possibly the same performance / accuracy) is to be had with Leo Bodnars boards:

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/index.html

If you go for the Plasma Lite from Beta Innovations

http://www.betainnovations.com/hardware/plasma_mm2.html

you can completely calibrate in 'hardware' and tweak a lot. Its recommended if you want the most control over your pedal range / calibration / deadzones etc.. With both boards, you calibration is 'fixed' (for Bodnar's board only if you tick the 'calibration lock' in LFS) so even if your pot bounces or whatever, calibration limits will not change. I belief logitech electronics do this by themselves, so the in game 'lock' doesn't have to work..
If I understand this correctly.... you can successfully calibrate the controller slowly and not have the pedals bounce, then the "Calibration Lock" option should work fine for you... since it will only use the min-max range you assigned when you calibrated the pedals.

So basically go into LFS and choose to recalibrate all the axes. When in the axes menu, on the right you can do them individually just by clicking the "C", and then calibrating them very carefully with your feet. Usually if I have a set of pedals that act up at about the 5% range when not pressed (and/or the 95% range when fully pressed), I will only push the pedal so far. By hitting that "C", I could rest my foot on the pedal only partially, and then fully press it to get its max range. Because when they bounce back, having a slight faked-deadzone for the pedal at zero will prevent it I think. Once you have the range set, just click on "Calibration Lock" and your pedals should never decalibrate when the pedals bounce or are at the wrong min-max points.

I could be completely wrong here, and it is probably hardware at fault here. But if you calibrate LFS and lock the range for the pedals, it should be fine, even if the pedals bounce. Unless of course the hardware is built in such a way that the bouncing makes some hardware get out of whack and it holds or loosens some parts each time...

(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG