The online racing simulator
Driving views
(56 posts, started )
Cockpit with arms and wheel. In my opinion one of the best things about LFS's cockpit view is that the arms are implemented. Look left/right buttons are also better than most of the other games (in them looking left/right usually steers the view only 45 degrees which is pretty useless).

I recently increased a bit those g force settings (in the custom view options screen) which made a huge difference. I think LFS's cockpit views are nearly perfect. The only thing they need is more detail.
Quote from Bob Smith :It's a team suit so... tough.

Arggg we need a high resolution skin suit

i prefer ofcourse cockpit view and play with FOV until i get it right with each car...
Quote from Cue-Ball :Cockpit, no driver, no wheel. The fact that LFS offers this view was one of the main reasons I tried it in the first place. I was tired of "driving simulators" that simulated driving with your face sticking through the middle of the front bumper.

i use same view cockpit no wheel or driver.
I don't like the cockpit view very much. It disturbes me, if so much place of my little 17'' monitor surface is covered by the cockpit.

If I'm driving real cars I don't take about the steering wheel or the more or less nice interior, I'm just concentrating what happens outside the car. So I choose the classical bumper view in racing games. That comes for me closest to reality. The idea with the "tyres-view" in life4speed ist exciting, because your'e "sitting" in the right cockpit height (not only 5 inches above the asphalt) .

Perhaps I would like the cockpit view too, if I could play with a beamer, projecting the race on a big white wall. Then I wouldn't feel so constraint and I could use the rear-view mirror on the leften side.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I use wheel view for maximum FPS. But if I'm just cruisin around in single player...then I use cockpit view. It's 100000x more fun IMHO.
I use cockpit view with wheel and hands, I just got so used to it to the extend that if I took the wheel and hands off, I wouldn't be driving the same as I normally do.
The main reason I have it on is because it kinda "helped" me in understanding how smooth my steering is and how much am I turning in game, or sometimes, it also helps to detect the so called wheel lag thing (my old wingman does that a lot).

a bit of off topic here: I also think that LFS should have the option of making/sharing skin suits, we already have helmets for that, why not racing suits? It'll sure be cool though.
Quote from StanleyCarter :I use cockpit view with wheel and hands, I just got so used to it to the extend that if I took the wheel and hands off, I wouldn't be driving the same as I normally do.
The main reason I have it on is because it kinda "helped" me in understanding how smooth my steering is and how much am I turning in game, or sometimes, it also helps to detect the so called wheel lag thing (my old wingman does that a lot).

You might consider turning on the white line with the red indicator that shows your wheel position then. You'd still be able to see how smoothly you're steering and how much input you're giving, but you'll get a few fps boost since the machine won't be drawing the wheel/hands polys.
Cockpitview. Arms and wheel I already have by myself, therefore driver and wheel off =)
For two years I used the wheels view but started using cockpit view in S2 purely because of the open wheelers and not wanting to switch the default view back and forth all the time. There's really no difference between the two apart from one having a 3d model blocking most of your view, realistic in one sense, unrealistic in another.
#35 - Gunn
Cockpit view, wheel and arms on, custom suit. For those who haven't realised it yet, you can adjust how close the windscreen is to your face by using the 5 and 6 keys on your keyboard (field of view, basically). Effectively you can put the entire dashboard out of view if you wish. I drive with the entire steering wheel visible and like Stanley I find it easier to interpret the Momo's small turning range that way. I wouldn't use the on-screen indicator as it is just more screen clutter. I turn off most on screen display.

Cockpit view after a bit of practice becomes just as easy as any other view. You learn where the limits of your car are, just like driving a real car for the first time, or a different car than you are used to, it takes a little time. It wouldn't be a sim without cockpit view, I prefer it for all driving/racing games. If a driving/racing game has no cockpit view I lose interest immediately.
I set a custom2 view for each car, with the POV closer to the dash than in normal cockpit view, close enough so that I can just barely see the base part of the A-pillar, with a FOV of around 100. This sets my steering wheel in a realistic distance from the dash instead of the normal cockpit view, in which you have to use a too low FOV to get the same position. The downside is that the custom views always have wheel+driver 3D objects activated, so you have to place the POV exactly where my wheel covers the animated wheel
Attached images
Raceview.jpg
Quote from Gunn :Cockpit view, wheel and arms on, custom suit. For those who haven't realised it yet, you can adjust how close the windscreen is to your face by using the 5 and 6 keys on your keyboard (field of view, basically).

But remember that reducing FOV reduces also sense of speed. Even 10 degrees makes a huge difference. I'm currently using default cockpit view but with 86 degree FOV.
Cockpit, how can you drive in anything else?
Quote from deggis :But remember that reducing FOV reduces also sense of speed. Even 10 degrees makes a huge difference. I'm currently using default cockpit view but with 86 degree FOV.

Good thing I've got three screens and a 120 degree FOV then.
I sat in my car, checked out what i can see in my main vision and my periferal vision when i drive normally, eyes on the road... went back to my pc and set up the LFS cockpit view as close as could. Now, coz the wheel actually does get in the way of dials etc sometimes, i leave the wheel on. And coz it looks weird without hands, they are on too

Wonder if anyone else is as anal about realistic view as me
Attached images
LFSView.jpg
#41 - Gunn
Quote from BargeArse :Wonder if anyone else is as anal about realistic view as me

That view is very close to what I use. I pull back a little more so I can see more mirror (wish I could move that thing!).
Quote from Gunn :That view is very close to what I use. I pull back a little more so I can see more mirror (wish I could move that thing!).

You can... Start a hotlap (or whatever ), go to your display options and there should be plenty options to adjust the mirror vertically and horizontally...
I think he means driver side mirror. Can't see it at all from my driving view. I'm thinking - when i drive my car, i need to look at my side mirror, i have no sight of it at all with out turning my head. Or at least glancing with my eyes. Gonna try and take an eyepoint photo...when the missus brings the car back...illepall
lol barge...how can you read those green dials? hurt my eyes =P
#45 - Gunn
Yep, side mirror. Gotta notice those sneaky overtakers out of the corner of my eye.
Cockpit view with wheel and arms. Actually I have a wheel and arms in front of the screen myself like everyone else here, however, if I turn off the wheel I'm suffering sort of paranoia that my real-world wheel movements are not translated correctly into the virtual world (especially when doing a bad lap ;-). This may result from some bad experience with controlers in the past (decalibration, spikes, etc...). Why arms then? Well, a wheel without arms does look even more strange than two wheels both with arms to my sense :-)
Quote from Gunn :Yep, side mirror. Gotta notice those sneaky overtakers out of the corner of my eye.

Is it just me, or does the side mirrors show the exact same thing as the center mirror? I can't tell a difference in the views of the sides and center. I use the paddles for left/right view and have the pitspotter mod to tell me who is around me.
Quote from mrodgers :Is it just me, or does the side mirrors show the exact same thing as the center mirror? I can't tell a difference in the views of the sides and center. I use the paddles for left/right view and have the pitspotter mod to tell me who is around me.

It's not just you. All three rear view mirrors show the exact same thing (though the center mirror does have a bit wider view). It's basically just rendering the reverse view once, then showing it three different times. To make each mirror generate a true rear view would use more horsepower than rendering the main view itself.

So, if you can see the center mirror, or have virtual mirror turned on, you don't really need the side mirrors.
Cockpit view. No arms, no legs, no wheel. Most realistic if you have a FFB Wheel. Don't need to see a virtual Wheel.
#50 - Gunn
Quote from Cue-Ball :It's not just you. All three rear view mirrors show the exact same thing (though the center mirror does have a bit wider view). It's basically just rendering the reverse view once, then showing it three different times. To make each mirror generate a true rear view would use more horsepower than rendering the main view itself.

So, if you can see the center mirror, or have virtual mirror turned on, you don't really need the side mirrors.

If you use the dynamic head movement you will find the side mirrors useful, otherwise it isn't much use ATM.

Driving views
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG