The online racing simulator
Patch V Sound: Speaker Crackle/Screen Stutter
This is yet another sound glitch thread.

LFS has never stuttered on my system, UNTIL NOW. Sound crackles (sounds like shorted speakers, BAD!); game stutters for several frames.

It happens with a track full of cars in multiplayer, it happens all alone in single player qualifying.

I played with many sliders, sound lag & min sleep in game, acceleration slider in Windoze sound properties, D/L'd newest Direct X, turned off flags and tree draw...

While the new sound is an improvement, the "shorted out" speakers sound has to get fixed...stutter is not an LFS trait.

(Athlon 2500+/All In Wonder 9600 256 MB/512 RAM)
#2 - Wakey
My Lfs has always given me that shorted out crackly sound but only for the First Lap,then it clears and everything is fine.
I also have checked everything and can find no problems elsewhere it only happens for that one lap and only LFS
Strange
But livable with
#3 - reetp
Try increasing the sound delay thingie.

Btw. you should get a new PC / more RAM. Athlon 2500+ is like P4 1500.
is it onboard sound? maybe its time for a new soundcard? or maybe new soundcard drivers would help??
Quote from reetp :Try increasing the sound delay thingie.

Btw. you should get a new PC / more RAM. Athlon 2500+ is like P4 1500.

wow, great comparison

illepall
Quote from wildwilly :is it onboard sound? maybe its time for a new soundcard? or maybe new soundcard drivers would help??

I also have a crackling now that I've never had before. Unfortunately, I have 2 possiblilities. I did change from onboard to a separate card and installed patch V. I didn't have crackling in U36 with the onboard. I needed the separate card for better adjustments with that big mid-bass peak in the sound.

Another thing I noticed. At first startup of LFS and getting in a car, I calibrate the wheel/pedals. As I pushed the throttle down 100% to calibrate (while sitting in the car in neutral), it revved to max rpm's and the sound crackled and cut out.

I'm going back to the onboard after a reboot next time I race (tonight?) to see if it was the card or patch V.
i also get smal ccrackilng- and i have new drivers...
#8 - P1lot
I also get crackling since patch V... but I've also started using new headphones so could be that (I'd be dissapointed given the price of them).
It's only in the right ear, and appears linked to engine revs - not there when idling. I can't hear the cracking when using basey speakers. No screen stutter noticed

Given the above, it's quite likely the fault of hardware. I'd better investigate more!
#9 - avih
just for the record, athlon xp 2500+ is fine for lfs, i have 1G ram and fx5600 ultra gfx card on XP SP1 and i usually get above 50-60fps. also, i have an onboard sound (realtek) and no cracking sounds. of course, YMMV.
2500+ = 1.5ghz p4? lol? the 2500+ clock speed is 1.83ghz. And is designed to actively compete with the 2.5ghz P4's. And only shortfalls in a couple of instances, which are somewhat tiny differences.

More than sufficient processor for LFS (could advise overclocking as well, the 2500+ is brilliant for it, and the extra juice might help reduce the cracking sound). Though it sounds like a power issue tbh. I only had cracking sound when i had a brown out (used to happen all the time in my area).
I'm getting this two, only in LFS, all other games or music sound prefectly fine. Not sure how to fix it. If I use my USB headset it sounds fine also, just when the sound comes out of me speaker system.

Anyone have any other ideas? What delay thing.
OK, I'm joining the club. Since patch V LFS produces some ugly crackles, strange is that it happens quite randomly. I can play for hours without any crackle as well as I can shut down my speakers because of them. I cannot describe what exactly must happen to LFS start crackling, I got it twice when I SHIFT+F4ed it during race. I have no other clue, my drivers are up-to-date and until V was everything OK, even test patches U32 and greater seemed to be all right.
What soundcards / chips are you guys using?
On board sound; nVidia. Uses Realtek AC97. Updated to nVidia's "mixer" sound update.

Also upgraded RAM over the Xmas holiday to Corsair XMS 1GB. Defragged, played with lots of BIOS tweaks...

Guess what? Still crackles and stutters!

From locked, solid 60fps to slide show. Not good.
Until this evening I had the 'shorting out' hit when someone left the pits. I upped the sound lag slider from 05 to 010. Et voila! No more join lag or sound hit.
Where is the sound lag slider?
I tried to fix the cracking problem last night by installing new drivers for my soundblaster live, which only made my sound worse.
Then I read a post by cue-ball that his on board sound didnt have the problem, so I tried and it worked. Only prob with the onboard sound was that CSR started to produce sounds with a lot of cracking in it (and not lfs :really.
So i went back to my soundblaster live, deinstalled all the creative crap from add/remove software, and tada, no more cracking sounds in lfs.

I have no idea what really happened with my changes, but apperantly you can get rid of it.

My advice would be to remove all the sound crap, like utilities, drivers, or even revert to older drivers.
anyone know where i can get patch U? a friend of mine is having alot of trouble like this with patch V. is U compatible with V online?
U should be compatible to V. But I don't know where to get it.

For the sound problems> I also seem to have this crackling since Patch V, sometimes. It also seems that there is a fps drop when it happens.

My system

Athlon 64 3800+ (AM2 Socket)
1 GB RAM
Leadtek NVIDIA 7600 TDH GT
Soundblaster X-FI Elite Pro

I've heard that the SB Audigys had sound problem like this but never heard it for the X-Fi's.

P.S. It happens mainly when there are many racers connected.
#21 - Davo
3dgamershell should have patch U, i know they have a lot of the older patches as well.
I have same problem, its strange, I hope that programmers will fix it...
Quote from Davo :3dgamershell should have patch U, i know they have a lot of the older patches as well.

hmmm... a Google for "3dgamershell" doesn't return much...
gamershell

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG