The online racing simulator
Low frame rates at start
(15 posts, started )
Low frame rates at start
Not sure if its just my PC or the res I am trying to run, but I dont have any problems in any other game at the same res. Specs on PC:

-AMD Sempron x64 3000+
-Gigabyte nforce 4 mobo
-1gb PC3200 ram
-120gb 7200RPM hd
-ATi Radon x1800XT 512mb

Graphics settings in LFS(and CS:S, BF2, Doom 3, ect) are set to:
-Res: 1680x1050(Native res on my monitor)
-Textures are on high, z-buffer is at 16
-4x AA, 4x AF

Not sure what else I need to post. But at starts of a 15 man + race my FPS is running at 8-12fps and continues to be at that untill the pack thins out. When running by myself or just with a few other cars in sight, it usually will be around 20-40fps. Seems like Ive only had this issue with the latest patch.

One thing I did notice is that with the 'V' patch, I had graphical glitches on the track, say starting with the steering wheel on back there was a blue flashing like the textures were missing, but above the steering wheel the textures were fine. To 'remedy' this, I set the 'Haze' option to No where as previously it was set to 'Yes'. Not sure what the 'Haze' option actually does.

My comuters resources are just fine, 2gb of 38gb used on my main HD, no virus or spyware, its a clean system. Only 34 process' running, nothing taking up the CPU.

Would it just be worth downloading the complete LFS 'V' and reinstall? Im out of unlocks anyway so I probably will do this. But like I said, I have no problems in any other games at this same res and detail, I always will have a constant 30-60+ FPS. Anybody have any tips for me?
#2 - Davo
Adjust your minimum sleep to a higher setting. Also try dropping the AA level to 2x and maybe the res to 1440x900. The image quality difference will be minimal but hopefully your fps should be better. If that doesn't help try a reinstall of lfs.
check your ATI drivers if its between CAT 5.12 and 6.4 you need to install a different/ newer driver
Make sure HVS is on in lfs options graphics ( try 16 & 24)
good luck.

SD.
Sounds like a ram upgrade and a video card upgrade will help you out a lot. The TNT 2 is a very old card.

But my issue is with a brand new x1800XT 512mb. I will try those things mentioned above, I have tried the latest Omega drivers with no luck, uninstalled those and used the driver cleaner, then installed the latest Catylis drivers off the ATi site with the same issues.
I would say windows xp with only 128Mb RAM its a miracle you can even play single player with 70-90 fps

coupled with a 1gb cpu and the antique gfx card I think your specs are verging on minimum

If you were to try Far cry or doom3 I bet they wouldnt run

SD.
#6 - Davo
I think you mean 7-9fps. No way I believe 70 fps on a TNT2 a 1 ghz duron. I'm gonna do a test on my P3 800 and TNT2 to see if this is true.
What resolution and screen settings are you using though? Im sure its at the bare minimum and it probably doesnt look too good :P
#8 - Davo
I can't wait for this 320x240 screenshot.
#9 - Davo
well well whadya know. That's impressive but I guess Westhill gives the best fps of all the tracks. Goes to show lfs can run on some pretty ancient equipment. Althought I doubt your frame rate drop with a full grid can be fixed, its more a limitation of your system than a bug of some sort.
Yup, my 6 year old drives offline LFS on a Celeron 667, 512 mb ram (maybe 256, I can't remember), and an old original pci 9250 card. 800x600x16 resolution. She sees very playable 40 FPS. She wouldn't have a prayer trying to run with more than 1 AI car on the track though. Actually, I think her computer may be running at 640x480?

Difference between LFSnoob and my daughter is she uses cockpit view where LFSnoob is using wheel view. Wheel view can gain you 20 to up to twice the frame rate as cockpit view depending on how everything else is set up.
No surprise that FPS is low on starts, because CPU is heavily occupied. High-detailed physics and sounds are calculated for a lot of cars, because they are near to you. When the pack shatteres a bit, it takes off a lot of CPU load. My FPS drops from usual 90-130 to about 30 on my P4E 3.4GHz when on fully-grided race at start...
#12 - Davo
Yeh that's true, even more so now with Patch V that the car infront is drawn with high res physics.
Even so when the grid thins out I only get 20-40fps. I wouldnt think that LFS is more CPU/GPU intensive then the Source engine or BF2. I know my CPU isnt the best, I plan on upgrading to an AM2 processor, but I think it should be able to handle LFS if it can handle CS:S and BF2 at the same settings and always maintain a good FPS.
All is well. Downloaded the full version and just reinstalled(just copied over my skins and setups from the old dir). Now I get 30-60fps on a start and 60-120fps during a race. Feels much better. Not sure what was wrong with the old install, Id say I have had it for about a year, just installed the seperate patches.

So I guess if some of you have been doing what I have done, probably best to download the full version of the latest patch and reinstall. Just have to re-unlock it every time I spose. Ahh well, I will enjoy the demo with my new found FPS untill January.

Thanks for the help!
Quote from LFSn00b :I use 800 x 600 usually, same resolution as my other games also.
But here's the screen.

:jawdrop: what????
try with 3-6 fps at the start, alone 22.

1.6 ghz
256 Mb RAM
64 Mb video card
40 Gb hardrive
-
(Sarge9191) DELETED by XCNuse : waking up a year old thread for no reason.

Low frame rates at start
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG