The online racing simulator
engine damage
(18 posts, started )
engine damage
hi,
a friend pointed out that i´m ruining my engine and lose valuable speed when i keep pressing the accelerator at the start until the greenlight comes on. same thing he says happens when i don´t choose the cut throttle on up-shift option (or the other way round...you know what i mean).

i noticed, when watching replays or spectating, that other drivers at times have 5km/h more topspeed at the end of s/f-straight (same set, of course).

is that true??

regards,

rolando
#2 - tpa
Yep, you do get engine damage wenn the rpms get too hight.

At the start, try to floor the throttle right before the light turns green. Then you will get a good start but no damage.

You don't need to have throttle cut on upshift enabled. It's enough to quickly lift off the throttle. You don't need to lift off completly, just enough so that the rpms don't get too high. You gain valueable tenths of a second and top speed when keeping some throttle applied while shifting up.

Hope this helps.

[edit] Top speed also depends a lot on how fast you exit the last corner before the straight. If the others have higher corner exit speeds than you, they are likely to have higher top speeds as well.
well i dont believe in that. when i hold the rpm on the start low and in the rest of the race too i get 188 ( talking about BL1 with XFG ) kmh on the straight. when i let the machine go up to max on the start and maybe sometimes later too, i still get my 188 kmh on the straight. every car has a rpm limiter,while running the machine under that limit (or on the limit) the machine will dont take damage. but if u shift to early so that u go over the limit u will damage ur machine. thats what i noticed but just from acclerating happens nothing.
#4 - tpa
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :well i dont believe in that. when i hold the rpm on the start low and in the rest of the race too i get 188 ( talking about BL1 with XFG ) kmh on the straight. when i let the machine go up to max on the start and maybe sometimes later too, i still get my 188 kmh on the straight. every car has a rpm limiter,while running the machine under that limit (or on the limit) the machine will dont take damage. but if u shift to early so that u go over the limit u will damage ur machine. thats what i noticed but just from acclerating happens nothing.

That's because the road car's engines don't become damaged as easily. In most of the road cars you can usually just floor the throttle, even when shifting up.
they're is some engine damage when you over-rev but you've usually got to bang it down the gears too early to really pick any up. plain ol' flatshifting don't really do any damage, but lacks satisfaction!
What? I didn't even know there's slight engine damage in S2. Thought it would be included in S3...
if you dont think there is not much engine damage in s2. get up to about 6 gear on a straightaway and shift back down into 1st gear. then see how fast you can go.
The FXR and XRR are particularly prone to this, being racing turbos I guess. FXR on Aston National, I normally hit 154mph round the long sweeping back straight, but after 7-8 laps of flat-shifting I can only hit 152mph.
Its a pretty small difference but adds up to several tenths over the lap.
you must be using a crapload of downforce to go that slow on the straight :P
i've deliberatly killed an engine or two in my fxr, to the extent where it stops working at all.
maybe i'll stop revving it on the start line- but i'll lose my launch control - the fxr jumps off the line if you rev it for a second or two
soooo I now understand why my FXR is popcorning at the end of the race X_D
I always floor it after the three red lights have been on for a second that way i dont damage the engine and still get a good start...

one thing i do though is i down shift too quickly which then damages the engine and makes it pop... still use to the GTR and f1 99-02 shifting....

slowly getting there tho..
i have digital speedmeter, cause im driving and brake with looking the speed and i know for almost all of my setups and cars the shifting speeds for every gear so i know when i can shift down without damage for the engine.
but isn´t there the red shifting-light just for that purpose?

roland
u talking about the red light for upshifting ^^
im talking about downshifting
Quote from Gabkicks :you must be using a crapload of downforce to go that slow on the straight :P

Actually, he probably has almost no downforce at all, the FXR is just a bad car for Aston Nat. You have to be a very good FXR driver to be competitive to the "normal" FZR and XRR drivers. Long straights and low top speed don't mix well.

To get a good start in the XRR I usually floor the gas shortly before the light goes green, so it has time to build up some boost. If you don't do this you either need a rediculously short first or the engine will bog down and you will be in the mid field starting from pole. Very often I also see FXR users get a crappy start because they don't build up any boost before the launch.
Quote from Gabkicks :you must be using a crapload of downforce to go that slow on the straight :P

The back straight on aston national isnt a straight, its a long uphill righthander. Same setup hits 164mph on the home straight, which also isnt really straight.

That set actually has a fair bit of downforce. I run 1:46.xx in FXR and 1:45.xx in FZR, which isnt lightning but is fairly decent.
Ya well, the only place where the FXR may really shine on that track is the last chicane before the finish, there it's alot more stable than the other cars. In my XRR I use about 10° of downforce but at the end of the finish straight (when I get a good chicane exit that is) I reach 171mph shortly.

engine damage
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG