The online racing simulator
Spinoff : apparent physics changes in test patches
can't find a note about FZR physic change but actually there is one
Quote from tomylee :can't find a note about FZR physic change but actually there is one

What do you mean?
Josh - this is not a thread for feature requests, however minor, unless they are relevant to a feature being worked on in the test patches

tomylee - please clarify, there cannot have been physics changes with U30 or you'd OOS disconnected upon joining a non-U30 server. Perhaps it's in your mind.
When I started using U30 (before U) I just copied the hole setting folder to the U30, so there are no setup changes from my side. For example the shift indicator appears now 2-3 km/h later, means I can stay longer in the gear. The car is easier to handle in corners, does way less break out in the back (same setup!!) and the breaking is a bit different as well.
It notice a bit with the FXR as well but not that much.

I tried the same back and forth and all the time I can see a difference and I have to handle the car in an other way.
Quote from tomylee :When I started using U30 (before U) I just copied the hole setting folder to the U30, so there are no setup changes from my side. For example the shift indicator appears now 2-3 km/h later, means I can stay longer in the gear. The car is easier to handle in corners, does way less break out in the back (same setup!!) and the breaking is a bit different as well.
It notice a bit with the FXR as well but not that much.

I tried the same back and forth and all the time I can see a difference and I have to handle the car in an other way.

Well, see for yourself: make a replay in U and try to play it back in U30. If it still works, the physics haven't changed. Btw, the speed difference is because the speedometer now works differently. In patch U it was still the old 100% accurate speedo, now it is a more realistic one that measures speed from the differential, and thus has a slight error due to tyre dimensions and slip.

Maybe the decreased sound lag makes U30 easier for you to handle? Who knows.
I can give more throttle earlier and the car will not break out.
I will later on drive again U and I'm sure I will have more problems to keep the car stable in the corners.
anybody notice any big differences with gti?
today i only just downloaded it... i know the speedo has been changed accordingly or somethin, which is about 1.8 - 2 kmh faster evrywhere..
but it handles alot different, and the splits seem slower..
i was taking perfect lines today, driving what probably would have been under wr times, yet i could only manage 0.5 secs off my wr.. lol
i know sometimes u have 'off' days, but im never 0.5 off my times, 0.2 at the most...
so yeah.. thats my two cents
Nothing has changed in the physics. If it has, then you wouldn't be able to play anyone online. This is a "compatible" patch which means everyone is essentially using the same physics as the old patch U (or T), it just has new features for UI and other things noted in this thread. Nothing is different about the car's performance, it's just you
ohh man, im teling you its change hahaha... seriously
i know im fair shit.. but still im never .5 off the pace :P
oh well ill re download u28 or something and see how that goes
Thats what I did say about the FZR, the handeling has changed IMHO.
It can't have though. If it had changed then replays, hotlaps, and online driving wouldn't work anymore.

Something has changed in your brain, your PC or your controllers, but LFS physics are the same as in T. That HAVE to be, there is no conjecture about it.
Why qould replays not work?
Because replays only store the player's inputs. If you watch a replay, it uses the current physics engine and feeds it with the stored inputs. If you have the same physics engine as at the time the replay was recorded, you will get the same result upon watching it.

If the physics change only one tiny bit, the replay will go OOS (out of sync) and it will be broken. Thus, the still working replays are the ultimate proof the physics have not changed.
#14 - axus
Quote from AndroidXP :Because replays only store the player's inputs. If you watch a replay, it uses the current physics engine and feeds it with the stored inputs. If you have the same physics engine as at the time the replay was recorded, you will get the same result upon watching it.

If the physics change only one tiny bit, the replay will go OOS (out of sync) and it will be broken. Thus, the still working replays are the ultimate proof the physics have not changed.

I think they also store position or something like that too, to which the physics results are compared and if that doesn't match, then you get the OOS error. Otherwise you have no way of knowing if you're in sync or not because you have nothing to compare it to.
Quote from axus :I think they also store position or something like that too, to which the physics results are compared and if that doesn't match, then you get the OOS error. Otherwise you have no way of knowing if you're in sync or not because you have nothing to compare it to.

And even then it is the perfect proof the physics have not changed, right?
That's true, I suppose it's similar to MPR's, just that you have correct inputs 100% of the time, so you don't notice any car jumps

Maybe it would even be technically possible to replay such slightly OOS files, but Scawen decided against it for whatever reason? Or probably the stored positions aren't actually there to set the car position, but just for OOS checks, as you said.
I will try this week U again to see how I'm doing there with it.
Yes, yo do that. illepall
So.... we have one guy who says the physics has changed because he is faster, and another guy who says they changed because he is now slower. Hmmmm.

I do not know tommylee, but I do know Duck (Hi Duck ).

I'm guessing that something with the new workings of the sound is affecting both (sound reworked for Vista). Perhaps tommylee is now hearing how the car is handling better, thus he is more in tune with the car, thus better lap times. Where Duck, is a much faster racer and even further in tune with the sounds than tommylee, and the difference in how the sound works now is just throwing him off. Yea, I'm just talking out my you-know-what (do we have a smiley for that? LOL)
sounds like variations in the wind conditions to me.
Or they both found out about the new speedo and noticed the effect it had on them... tomylee saw a higher speed on the speedo, thinking: "Wow, I'm faster than before" and Duck, used to the old system, was now slower (timewise), as he took the corners at the speed he used to - which was in fact slower than with the old speedo...
pretty reasonable explanation
xfg physics changed??
hehhe.. nah coz i was taking corners about 4 kmh faster than i used to, and i was 2kmh quicker down each straight
well.. i got rid of 'u30'... and i was back on pace
hehe.. maybe my computer is a noob
oh yeah... hi nighthawk!!
#24 - axus
Maybe you just rely too much on your speedo when you drive which is now inaccurate so you can't really rely on it. Only time I look at my speedo is on a straight when there's wind... and when I'm setting up a car's gearing. You shouldn't be looking at the speedo through corners. You'll go much faster without it. You can see the shift light with peripheral vision.
It's all in your mind

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG